What has Media Portal got against the UK Channel 4Seven? Not able to map (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I a not bashing the volunteers here, but it's like going to a diner and not having sugar on the table. Should be automatically there
    Can you imagine how many different guests this diner might have? Seriously, MediaPortal is used in different countries and every one has hundreds, sometimes thousands of channels. There simply is no practical way to assure that the server can read every guest's mind to identify his or her personal desires when he/she is checking into the restaurant.

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you sure that you want to use WebEPG? The DVB EPG (like you'd find on most TVs and STBs) would be the easiest option and probably the most widely used.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When you go to a restaurant [and the assumption you'll find sugar is not actually true on a global scale] we are a PAYING customer;)

MePo is a designed for Global use, so what work in UK [Freeview over the air EPG] does not work in US or NZ for example.:eek:

You use NextPVR as 'eample' - it supports 'over the air', XMLTV and Schedules Direct [US only]. The XLMTX service supports only DigiGuide [paid for service] or XMLTVGUI, which uses RadioTimes [same as MePo WebEPG]. SichboPVR uses over the air only, WinTV I don't know [not used if for a long long time] and it's not free [it's associated with the Tuner]...............

The truly free guides are a best effort projects provided by dedicated but not full time individuals, and they may simply consider 4seven [and others] not worth effort to include based on interest -

Can I suggest along with Jas & David earlier, you use the over the air guide - 4seven is supported [I know, I tested it:) - then the EPG you are using is commercially supported [these are not really 'free', the License fee & advertising fund the work].

Cheers - JCMP

mediaportalman

Portal Member
    April 17, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    When you go to a restaurant [and the assumption you'll find sugar is not actually true on a global scale] we are a PAYING customer;)

MePo is a designed for Global use, so what work in UK [Freeview over the air EPG] does not work in US or NZ for example.:eek:

You use NextPVR as 'eample' - it supports 'over the air', XMLTV and Schedules Direct [US only]. The XLMTX service supports only DigiGuide [paid for service] or XMLTVGUI, which uses RadioTimes [same as MePo WebEPG]. SichboPVR uses over the air only, WinTV I don't know [not used if for a long long time] and it's not free [it's associated with the Tuner]...............

The truly free guides are a best effort projects provided by dedicated but not full time individuals, and they may simply consider 4seven [and others] not worth effort to include based on interest -

Can I suggest along with Jas & David earlier, you use the over the air guide - 4seven is supported [I know, I tested it:) - then the EPG you are using is commercially supported [these are not really 'free', the License fee & advertising fund the work].

Cheers - JCMP
    How do you use the OTA guide?

mediaportalman

Portal Member
    April 17, 2017
    Home Country
    Untitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    Untitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    oUntitled.png
    You know when a system is giving you the finger?

Last edited:

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Fair enough. To make the thread useful to others looking at a similar problem (who are in the UK and receiving Freeview over DVB-T)...

Do not use the Web EPG go to the DVB EPG section in TV Server Configuration and fill it in like the first image here DVB EPG - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    Then go to this screen TV EPG Grabber - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki and press the All button below the channels.
    Close the configuration and go a make a cuppa, when you return you should have 1 weeks worth of EPG for all your channels

It's possible for the EPG to crash the server, but this is unlikely - the real secret is to read the Wiki to set up the application
    [mm1352000 edit: We've had no problems with the EPG grabber crashing the server for approximately 5 years.]

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaportalman

Portal Member
    April 17, 2017
    Home Country
    I have totally removed Media Portal from my system. Thanks for chiming in with support, but this is the flashy car that does not drive well for me. I don't need a rolls royce of a media centre, just one that is not as clunky and does not require you to go 'all around the houses' to get a channel guide. I have installed sichbo and it is already recording. Thanks again, for your help and tips, but sometimes the player is an MVP but not a great fit for THAT franchise.

mediaportalman

Portal Member
    April 17, 2017
    Home Country
    It's possible for the EPG to crash the server, but this is unlikely - the real secret is to read the Wiki to set up the application

This is like saying don't swim in the lake after someone has already dived in. I would have appreciated a heads up. Nevermind. I am a born outlier.
    From 15 of 16 Channels with listings to none whatsoever.

EPG went full Negan on the system

No hard feelings

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Again, this is mentioned in the Wiki if you follow the second link in my earlier post - you're someone who doesn't read the manual, and expects everything just to work (and is vociferous when it doesn't read your mind properly). Mediaportal is created to allow everyone to use it with whatever country and hardware they have, so you have some basic set up to do when you install it. The Wiki and Forum are there to help with that, a review of your posts shows that you say you've been using Mediaportal since 2012 and not once have you thought that it must be easier than manually setting up each channel in a country with over the air EPG... and looked at how to set it up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom