What has Media Portal got against the UK Channel 4Seven? Not able to map (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediaportalman

Portal Member
April 17, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Please credit me with some initiative. I have been using MePO on and off for years with little help from the forum because I always try to think outside of the box before registering on a forum to bleat. If you are always reliant on people for help, it limits your critical thiking. Manuals are always subjective because you will always have a variance of interpretation. Instead of deflecting, why not solve the timebomb of the EPG self destructing. Do you need to consult a manual for that? You are not talking to someone who has got their knickers in a twist because the glitch in the system is being whitewashed. You seem more upset than me, I had one channel missing info and the EPG undid days of work like some kind of virus, yet I am sucking it up and enjoying the banter. When you point one finger at me, the others point back to you.

mediaportalman

Portal Member
April 17, 2017
Home Country
8.png
Look at this classic incompetence from three years ago. Media Portal was installed on my PC, my 'flawed' method of disregarding the wiki (heaven forbid) gave me a complete EPG and I even managed to use the colouring options on the EPG as well with a nice skin. All done without looking at the wiki, what a reactionary and stubborn numpty. TSK TSK

mediaportalman

Portal Member
April 17, 2017
Home Country
I can reminisce about the Moving Pictures extension and how I added movie info because..........I guess because no one ever did anything without reading instructions
9.png

mediaportalman

Portal Member
April 17, 2017
Home Country
4 (1).png
Oops, I need some nice logos.........well guess what, there is an extension manager and one is called 'logo' manager...........why don't I install that? okay, let's open Mepo and see where that is...........let me look in the settings? Aha...............oh wow, I can get a British pack and even select nice colours to compliment my tv guide......hmm, lets grab and see what happens............bingo

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To close out this thread I hope - you say you've removed MePo totally and replace with another service using over the air EPG, so job done [which at the end of the day IS the only thing that counts] - you have service that suit you, which is the MePo mantta.

However, only thinking outside the box precludes thinking inside the box - no matter how much expertise you have, the COLLECTIVE [and I really do mean collective - for me TVServer works, so I almost never look at detail and my knowledge is thin at best] and postive support you can obtain from the forum is ouitstanding - why you feel the need to continue to alienate forum members [initial fruition aside] is a mystery to me, but let's leave it as such.

J.

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    press the All button below the channels.
    Only one channel needs to be ticked because the EPG is carried on all multiplexes, here's mm1352000's recommendation:

Yup, DVB EPG should be fine if configured appropriately.
    By appropriately I mean:
    1. In the main DVB EPG section of TV Server configuration:
      1. Ensure one or both of the "enabled" (timeshifting/recording EPG grabber and/or idle EPG grabber) are ticked.
      2. Ensure "grab EPG only for channels on same transponder" is unticked.
    2. In the TV EPG Grabber subsection under DVB EPG:
      1. Ensure "store data only for selected channels" is unticked.
      2. Untick all channels except one 24 hour channel. BBC One or BBC One HD would be a good choice.
    3. In the Radio EPG Grabber subsection under DVB EPG:
      1. Ensure "store data only for selected channels" is unticked.
      2. Untick all channels.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Instead of deflecting, why not solve the timebomb of the EPG self destructing. Do you need to consult a manual for that?
    Just for the record: there is no such time bomb.
    We haven't had problems with the DVB EPG grabber causing TV Server to crash for approximately 5 years.
    At the time that issue was relevant, we treated it with super high priority as you'd expect.
    This is a non-issue now.

I appreciate that you're frustrated.
    I appreciate that you prefer not to ask for help straight away... though I personally try to encourage people to do the opposite to you (ie. ask for help immediately to avoid frustration and time wasting).
    I appreciate the feedback... though not the tone or personal attacks, and I do wish you'd said something earlier.

Configuring the DVB EPG grabber for the UK is not hard. If you'd like to try again, please refer to my instructions copied by Jasmeet_181 in his latest reply. Obviously you ought to disable all other EPG sources (eg. WebEPG, XMLTV) before enabling the DVB EPG grabber.

mediaportalman

Portal Member
    April 17, 2017
    Home Country
    Reinstall? I would rather use my face to put out a campfire. Media Portal is the most problematic and clunky alternatives to windows media centre that I have worked with. How I was able to use it on an off is testament to what is called in latin a 'felix culpa'. Seeing the responses here is like being on the Lakers during Kobe's years. Just because he can score 81 points he berates his team mates who do not have the same ability. 'It's easy, just read the wiki'. Not everyone has the same level of literacy or technical knowledge. Maybe if the software was more straightforward and easier to use, the forum would not be full of poor sods who are pulling their hair out because all star calibre mods think everyone should be able to get it done. Guess what? There are other teams, with simpler, yet more effective plays and people can get it done without the system going haywire or fanboys insisting that glitches do not exist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom