What new feature do you want most? (1 Viewer)

What new feature do you want most?

• Filtering on the GUI (by genre, year, watched flag, etc.)

Votes: 70 40.0%
  • Localization (i.e. multilingual support)

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Additional data providers (IMDB, impawards.com, scriptable)

Votes: 66 37.7%
  • Logo support ala TV-Series (mediainfo.dll integration)

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Better movie backdrop (fanart) support (in GUI, menu to select and download ala TV-Series)

Votes: 63 36.0%
  • Something else (post details below)

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoXoR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    B-W
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah i know about the menu, but a lot of movies are not yet on movie-xml so even with a manual search you dont find your movie

Just add them to the database, to make them available to everyone ;)

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    One thing I have seen on Meedio forums which I liked was how the scanning/scrapping has been done.
    At first pass (either initial scan or updates), all files are added to the database (so there is no need for shares view, since all files are there), then the second pass is to retrieve the info from the scrapper.
    That way, you just have one view, which contains all of your files. On that level you could either disable the file from display, enable it, enter the information manually or fetch it from db provider.
    I think that's the perfect solution, and only small changes are needed to accomplish it in MovingPictures.

One additional thing that I liked, is that if special file is present in the same dir, the information is being read from that file and there is no need for scraping it. Obviously you also need a feature to save that file locally during automated scan/or movie edit screen. It's additional solution for those who have manually added/edited the info, but don't want to loose it if database is lost/erased. You could call it as local cache of the movie info.

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I voted for "something else", and that being support for DVDrips in IFO / VOB format. Most of my videos are DVDrips, and with 3TB of HDD, I see no need to take the time to convert them to something more compact :p

I know this is only scheduled for 1.0 release, so I'll patiently wait for that. Just wanted you to know that I *am* patiently waiting :D

Aside from that, all features you suggest would be nice :cool:

carmenm

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Yeah i know about the menu, but a lot of movies are not yet on movie-xml so even with a manual search you dont find your movie

Just add them to the database, to make them available to everyone ;)

Yep thats the easiest and most helpful way to get tid of the little blue exclamation mark.:D
    I wont do it yet, as i dont want to enter each movie manually. What i hope for is that when we will have imdb grabber, we will have the possibility to upload on movie-xml. If i am correct Meedio already does that.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Displaying unmatched files is something I am very skeptical of. I would consider maybe adding a separate view for something like this, but that is not really what the plug-in is about. It would be a lot of work to add something like this though, because the current implementation is totally based on movie info, not file info. I think I would rather spend time on improving the importer and adding additional data sources than setting up an unmatched files view in the GUI. If there is a lot of demand for this I will consider this though.

Really though RoXoR is right. All the data pulled into your computer is community supported. Manually entered by other people like you. The only difference is they use other plug-ins for XBMC and Meedio. If you have a movie that is not in the database, currently the best solution is to go enter it yourself on movie-xml.com. Like I said it's all community driven. And pulling from IMDB and uploading to movie-xml.com might happen in the future, but currently there is no upload API exposed. So that is not currently possible. If Meedio does it they are doing something wonky like kind of scraping the upload interface. I don't think I will be doing that.

I will try to have watched flag and resume playback support in the next point release. These are not too tricky of issues that I think would bring a lot of value.

Thanks for voting guys, I feel like it's really important to hear what everyone is interested in seeing happen. I will update you as I figure out the sequence of enhancements. I think first I will be doing a 0.5.4 release with some minor (relatively) easy enahncements such as watched flag support, resume playback, and a few things for the config screen. Then I will move onto some bigger stuff based (as much as possible) on your votes.

And for anyone just now stumbling on the thread, please vote, this discussion is not over yet. ;)

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    I voted for "something else", and that being support for DVDrips in IFO / VOB format. Most of my videos are DVDrips, and with 3TB of HDD, I see no need to take the time to convert them to something more compact :p

I know this is only scheduled for 1.0 release, so I'll patiently wait for that. Just wanted you to know that I *am* patiently waiting :D
    Same vote here and also waiting patiently.;)

:D for all your efforts

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have downloaded a lot of backdrops from different torrents and sites.
    I'm already using these backdrops for the Aeon Wide Skin. Most files are named: tt[imdbID].jpg or png.

It would be nice if you could set the backdrop download priority.
    like:
    1) scan harddrive folder
    2) moviebackdrops.com
    3) posters.consumeroo.com

It already does this. Place your backdrops in the fan art folder and if the filename is tt[imdbID].jpg, png or bmp it will get loaded next time you start MediaPortal. The default fanart folder on a Windows XP system is:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Backdrops\FullSize\

G.B. Wolf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 22, 2007
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I voted for langsupport. As a German most of my movies have the german titles... so matching is somehow unergonomic for me.

carmenm

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Displaying unmatched files is something I am very skeptical of. I would consider maybe adding a separate view for something like this, but that is not really what the plug-in is about. It would be a lot of work to add something like this though, because the current implementation is totally based on movie info, not file info. I think I would rather spend time on improving the importer and adding additional data sources than setting up an unmatched files view in the GUI. If there is a lot of demand for this I will consider this though.
    I expected it not be easy and i completely understand your point of view. I thought is was worse asking.

Really though RoXoR is right. All the data pulled into your computer is community supported. Manually entered by other people like you. The only difference is they use other plug-ins for XBMC and Meedio. If you have a movie that is not in the database, currently the best solution is to go enter it yourself on movie-xml.com. Like I said it's all community driven. And pulling from IMDB and uploading to movie-xml.com might happen in the future, but currently there is no upload API exposed. So that is not currently possible. If Meedio does it they are doing something wonky like kind of scraping the upload interface. I don't think I will be doing that.
    I was not saying i want it today, i was saying it might be very very useful. As for doing it manually. That s not the way i do it right now, that s all. Currently my config does everything for me as soon as start downloading. I use meedio service to rename my movies correctly. Then when they are rename they are moved to a folder used by MP. That s the reason ii dont want to do it manually right now. But if i go Moving Pictures as my main video interface, trust me i will do it manually, but right now i prefer the share view as my movies are all named correctly.

I will try to have watched flag and resume playback support in the next point release. These are not too tricky of issues that I think would bring a lot of value.
    That would be awesome, that might make me switch definitively.

Anyway thank you for your great work and for listening to our demands.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom