why use cyber link codec? (1 Viewer)

toplad

Portal Pro
October 30, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi guys been browsing the forums and people seem to use the cyber link codec. just wondering why people use this instead of the bundled codecs with media portal?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I use it because it looks good and is one of the only video codecs that supports hardware accelerated video decoding on XP (DXVA 1). LAV only supports DXVA 2, which is no good for XP.

mm

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Also Cyberlink is knows as one of the best codecs for handling Live TV with all its dropped frames, interlacing etc and most of us are using MP for watching TV

toplad

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so ive been reading up on dxva like you mentioned and the only advantage is that the cpu load is lower. my system plays all video files fine as it is so.... the question is.....is it worth messing about with it to make it work??? as for the live tv part the hd channels look amazing as they are. are you saying the cyberlink codec improves this further?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 for LiveTV where I can actually see a difference compared to any other codec
    ...though a caution for anybody that has signal strength/quality issues for whatever reason...
    Stream corruption can trigger some versions of the Cyberlink codec to get themselves "stuck" dropping lots of frames. You can reset by skipping back/forward after the corruption. However, in my experience LAV video handles this a lot better. It never seems to get stuck, and if corruption occurs you will only see a short pixelation.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    I wonder how my favourite MPC-BE codecs are going compared to others :)

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    No, MPC-BE is MPC-HC's fork by guy who was main mpc-hc dev recently before that. When I tried its codecs my problem with h264 level 3.1 video was fixed ;)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wow, I have installed the latest unlocked SAF codecs with cyberlink and I'm using it now with live TV. It's working great! TV seems to start faster and changing channels goes faster aswell. Quality is also awesome. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread