Win 10 - TVService.exe stops computer going to sleep (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am not sure if the hyphen vs slash is making a difference in the syntax.
    Nope, both will work.

If the 'Powercfg -lastwake' doesn't give a result, try 'Powercfg -requests' and also do 'powercfg -energy' and have a look at the created 'energy-report.html'. You need to copy if from C:\Windows\System32 to another folder to be able to open it.

Windows 10 seems indeed a bit tricky concerning Standby, i'm also investigating some issues on my DEV PC, although the HTPC goes into S3 just fine with the PowerScheduler plugin.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    And right after powercfg -lastwake is showing the above? I am not sure if the hyphen vs slash is making a difference in the syntax. In any case this command will normally display what has ben waking up the PC. I don't understand why it does not in your case.

Yes that is what shown after the powercfg.... a slash or a dash are the one and the same - I tried both and got the same result.

Perhaps the reason nothing is showing is that nothing is waking it up because something is stopping it sleeping?

[DOUBLEPOST=1439885929][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Can you turn this on please and refine the settings in such way that only magic packages can wake up the PC?
    I am using a WLAN card and do not see any WOL or Magic Packet setting for that card....(whereas I do see that on the NIC...)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As an experiment: Can you deactivate the WLAN card, reboot and check again if standby is then operating correctly?

Please do also create the energy report as suggested by HomeY and check the "Error" section.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Will try all that - it may be tomorrow my time - it is now 19:00, but will post back when done...

I suppose too I can disable/close AnyDVD, Virtual Clone Drive - for Playing Blu Ray DVDs and some of the other apps i have running in the background......
    Thanks for helping....

bb193

Portal Member
    August 16, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And if I disable TVService.exe, it does go to sleep in a well behaved way, so it seems like it is that service that is causing my problem.
    The most likely reason for TVServer service being behind the PC staying active, is a misconfigured EPG setup, which is continously running. Set TVServer to Debug level and then check the TVServer log file to see i EPG is preventing standby. If yes, then further action will depend on your country and EPG sources used. Search the forum for some threads about EPG setup. Both mm132000 and I have repeatedly explained how channels would need to be ticked (or rather not ;)).

For confimation of this hypothesis you may want to completely deactivate EPG in the TVServer configuration and check again if the PC is now entering standby under MediaPortal.

This was a good call - thanks. The PC now seems to wake and sleep much better - I think I'm basically OK now.

I still need to make sure I'm getting the EPG (and I also seem to be getting the BBC1 guide for both BBC1 and 2, so there is a bit of work there). But it took me a couple of years to get Windows Media Center to work reliably and as I wanted it, so I think MediaPortal should be no more difficult.

Once again, many thanks :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @bb193 ,
    You're very welcome (y)

Judging from "BBC 1 and 2", I conclude that you are located in the UK, correct? AFAIK in the UK each channel is broadcasting the EPG of the complete bouquet, hence it is sufficient to tick only one channel, e.g. BBC1. Again, looking into the tvserver-log (debug level) will immediately show if this is correct and allow you to further optimize your setup.

bb193

Portal Member
    August 16, 2015
    Home Country
    @bb193 ,
    You're very welcome (y)

Judging from "BBC 1 and 2", I conclude that you are located in the UK, correct? AFAIK in the UK each channel is broadcasting the EPG of the complete bouquet, hence it is sufficient to tick only one channel, e.g. BBC1. Again, looking into the tvserver-log (debug level) will immediately show if this is correct and allow you to further optimize your setup.

Thanks again for the reply. Yes, I am in the UK. I have no doubt I'll have other issues and will make other posts - I am in danger of taking this thread off topic (if so, I apologize :( ). I think the lack of sleep issue was a key deal breaker for me, and I had considered abandoning Media Portal because of it. I suppose I'm used to a Media Center that is designed specifically for Windows PCs, so sleep is essential (and delivered out of the box) - whereas Media Portal runs on a variety of devices, some where sleep is unnecessary. I suppose this experience says to me that Media Portal on Windows 10 can have similar sleep characteristics to Windows Media Centre, if configured to do that (particularly enabling PowerScheduler and correct configuration of EPG download). I hope it helps others in this thread find a solution that helps them.

When I said I am getting the same guide for both BBC1 and 2, I meant the programme listing shown for both channels is the same (ie the programmes on BBC1). They are both in the same multiplex, but I think they have just got a bit confused about channel identification or something. I'm also having some problems with some scheduled programmes not recording - I haven't quite got to the bottom of that, but I suspect it may be related to this guide issue (I think it is largely BBC1/2 programmes that are not recording, although I can view them live with no problem). I have also added a short delay in using my Hauppauge USB Dual tuner, to give it a short period of time to wake up from sleep - which seems to have helped with the other channels. So it is likely that when I have another go over the weekend, I'll do some more posting on this forum. But on the issue of sleeping, I think that key issue is solved for me - and I hope others can find a solution for them in this thread.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am in danger of taking this thread off topic
    Open a new thread about EPG if you like, although misconfigured EPG is the prime reason for the PC not entering sleep.

When I said I am getting the same guide for both BBC1 and 2, I meant the programme listing shown for both channels is the same (ie the programmes on BBC1).
    If that is the case, then it is unfortunately because of the provider broadcasting wrong information. Unless you chose different (paid?) means of getting EPG, there is nothing you can do about this other than to hope that they will correct this soon. I would believe though that something like this doesn't go without major shouting from the British TV users.

I'm also having some problems with some scheduled programmes not recording - I haven't quite got to the bottom of that, but I suspect it may be related to this guide issue (I think it is largely BBC1/2 programmes that are not recording, although I can view them live with no problem).
    There is an option in TVServer to prevent duplicate recordings. The logics of it is based on show/episode title. Incorrect or generic EPG data, e.g. individual episode info identical to the name of the show ), will lead to the next scheduled recording recognized as already existing and hence skipped. Untick the respective option and things should get better for you - at the risk of maybe seeing duplicate recordings.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    When I said I am getting the same guide for both BBC1 and 2, I meant the programme listing shown for both channels is the same (ie the programmes on BBC1).
    I have never encountered anyone with this problem when using the broadcast EPG in the UK, and I am mystified as to what might be causing this. :(

I would believe though that something like this doesn't go without major shouting from the British TV users.
    Exactly!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bb193

Portal Member
    August 16, 2015
    Home Country
    I have never encountered anyone with this problem when using the broadcast EPG in the UK, and I am mystified as to what might be causing this. :(

I would believe though that something like this doesn't go without major shouting from the British TV users.
    Exactly!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Here we go (pictures attached) - right off topic (be gentle with me!) but I'm so pleased to be entirely unique, so early in my Media Portal career!

Attachments

• duplicate channel.jpg
      duplicate channel.jpg
      76.8 KB
    • channel setup.jpg
      channel setup.jpg
      142.4 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom