Win 7 To Win 10 Upgrade - Is There Any Advantage (2 Viewers)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Not sure if this is the correct section to post but is there any advantage in updating a Win 7 system to Win 10

I have run Win 7 for many years and was wondering if it is time to do an update.

Hopefully someone can share their experiences

Thanks

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I just installed Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 as an update, keeping all the settings and programs. Then I updated to Windows 11 in the same way.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have run Win 7 for many years and was wondering if it is time to do an update.
    I run Windows 7 on my current HTPC, and have installed Windows 7 on my new HTPC (not finished yet). I am not anticipating updating to Windows 10 or 11 anytime soon.

In terms of HTPC performance, I don't think that there is any advantage in updating.

The situation where you might want to update is if you use your HTPC for general internet access. Windows 7 won't receive any more security updates that fix vulnerabilities discovered since Microsoft stopped issuing updates for Windows 7.

Although my HTPC is connected to the internet (so that the system clock can receive corrections from an internet time server), the only time that I actually access the internet is when I am performing the install of a new release of MP.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I run Windows 7 on my current HTPC, and have installed Windows 7 on my new HTPC (not finished yet). I am not anticipating updating to Windows 10 or 11 anytime soon.
    Well, in my experience Windows 10/11 is faster, more stable and convenient than Windows 7, and in light of the complete withdrawal of support for Windows 7, there is no point in hanging on to it.
    I've converted all computers to Windows 10/11, from Intel Atom with 2GB memory, to i7, everywhere I've gotten acceleration and more stable performance.
    In terms of HTPC performance, I don't think that there is any advantage in updating.
    For me enormously, I got a more stable system as an HTPC, and in light of the Mediaportal x64 release, I will get an even bigger performance boost and smoothness.
    Although my HTPC is connected to the internet (so that the system clock can receive corrections from an internet time server), the only time that I actually access the internet is when I am performing the install of a new release of MP.
    Update metadata for Movies, Music, Series, Weather, Trakt ...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Windows 10/11 need more power PC than Win 7 and also contains commercial stuff,...
    Then, if you use only for HTPC, keep Win 7, there is no more best sound and/or no more vidéo improvments otherwise, Win 10/11 give more user friendly, the most in Windows explorer (tabs in explorer windows, ...)

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks everyone that replied. I will take on board all the comments and have a think.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Actually I had an issue where upgrading did have an advantage:
    Don't know how generic my issue is, but I was having issues with dynamic refreshrate changer.
    Not really sure what the issue was (long time ago) but updating to windows 8.1 fixed that. Apparently there were some changes in the DWM part done.
    I myself are very reluctant to go to win10/11 as it feels as if its not my computer anymore...
    Edit: and for stability: I don't have any issues regarding that, even on win7/win8.1 my mediaportal is rock-solid

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For me the Win 7-10 upgrade was a no brainer, it was free. Win 11 is another matter as it cannot be installed on older hardware (TPM ver. 2 required). In my experience the latest versions of both Win 10 & 11 are very solid and more user friendly than Win 7 and some of the weird stuff (Aero & WMC :eek:) have been dropped.For HTPC use I suggest you do need to get rid of a lot of the bloatware and customise a few things including disabling of automatic updates which can be done with Pro versions but less sure with the basic Home version. Manual system updates no longer have an option to select individual items in the package but from memory this was also the case in latter versions of Win 7.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It's been a bit since my 7-10 upgrade. I have 5 older PCs, so going to 11 is a no-go. I have manual update selected for all of the PCs using the Home version of Win 10, but I've seen no issues with checking for updates regularly, especially security updates.. Been doing the upgrades/updates since the DOS days, things just appear to be faster, with a little friendlier interface. I've seen no downsides ... other than some commercial bloatware, which is easily resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom