Win 7 To Win 10 Upgrade - Is There Any Advantage (2 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    customise a few things including disabling of automatic updates which can be done with Pro versions but less sure with the basic Home version.
    I have manual update selected for all of the PCs using the Home version of Win 10
    I was under the impression that Windows 10 Home does not allow the user to disable updates?
    Are you using a non-Microsoft tool to disable updates?

What you can do with Windows 10 Home is to enable the I am using a metered internet connection setting (somewhere on the "Advanced settings" panel). This stops Windows downloading updates automatically, but it still shows you what is pending. You can then choose to initiate installation of the updates at a time that is convenient for you. This is how I have my Windows 10 laptop setup. Allegedly this setting only delays installation of the updates for some period of time (days/weeks), and does not permanently prevent installation of the updates.

Updates have not been 100% reliable. There have been a couple of occasions where Windows disappeared into hyperspace when the system restarted. It was necessary to boot from my Win10 install USB in order to recover the system. :mad:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Actually I had an issue where upgrading did have an advantage:
    Don't know how generic my issue is, but I was having issues with dynamic refreshrate changer.
    Not really sure what the issue was (long time ago) but updating to windows 8.1 fixed that. Apparently there were some changes in the DWM part done.
    I myself are very reluctant to go to win10/11 as it feels as if its not my computer anymore...
    Edit: and for stability: I don't have any issues regarding that, even on win7/win8.1 my mediaportal is rock-solid
    I can't see diference between win 7/8 and 10/11 for video/audio change (except of audio mixer for diff apps wich doesn't give more user experience than the one in win 7/8).
    And again : see that
    For me clearly, you have a TPM 2.0 and use for more than HTPC (and want more secure) go with win 10/11 else, keep win 7/8.

For @CyberSimian : You can do the same with windows update in win 8 than in 10/11...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was under the impression that Windows 10 Home does not allow the user to disable updates?
    As I said I am not sure, I have Win 11 Pro on both my heavy internet browsing desktop (free Test Cricket is a minefield) and also on my HTPC, for consistency as well as security! I have edited the Local Group Policy to disable auto updates on both PCs, this means I can still manually initiate any new updates but when I want to. As far as I know that is not possible on the Home version.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

What you can do with Windows 10 Home is to enable the I am using a metered internet connection setting (somewhere on the "Advanced settings" panel). This stops Windows downloading updates automatically, but it still shows you what is pending. You can then choose to initiate installation of the updates at a time that is convenient for you. This is how I have my Windows 10 laptop setup. Allegedly this setting only delays installation of the updates for some period of time (days/weeks), and does not permanently prevent installation of the updates.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    Indeed, ... I was trying to go from memory, it is the metered connection setting that I'm using, as well, rather than the 35 day delay setting.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    For me clearly, you have a TPM 2.0 and use for more than HTPC (and want more secure) go with win 10/11 else, keep win 7/8.
    What's the point of leaving a system that's already dead? Unsupported. When there is a great system for HTPCs in the form of Windows 10? Which is faster, more stable, and more convenient?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    W11.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom