Win10 falls creators update problems watching videos (2 Viewers)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    FWIW, my system is still working perfectly using @Sebastiii fix, even after all the recent Windows 10 updates.
    It's using the Intel HD video though, so no nVidia or AMD drivers to complicate things. And no MADVR either (although I am using refresh rate changer in MP)

joker1639

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2009
    Strange thing is, that it seems to work even if i resume multiple times from hibernate. But as soon as JDownloader and/or Microsoft edge is running in background I get the black screen. If only mediaportal is running it seems to work .......

joker1639

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2009
    Hi guys!

Tested a lot the last 2 days. In my case the Problem/s really seems to be Jdownloader and Microsoft Edge! Sent my htpc to Sleep state quiet often but i did not have a single black screen if Edge or Jdownloader were completely closed when I started MP. Also got black screens when the htpc wasn't in hibernate or Sleep state. Since I do not open Edge or Jdownloader when Opening MP not a single black screen. But the FCU black screen fix in Settings is activaed and still needed!

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think the problem is not on MP's side. Windows 10 FCU did the job. When dynamic screen rate switches to 24p a black screen appears. My workaround is pressing Vol+ or Vol- on the keyboard so the picture comes back. This is similar to the Windows-Key workaround but doesn't lose the focus of MP. Pain in the ass those improvments by Microsoft.

EDIT: Btw it is the same with KODI.

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another one: IMHO the best solution is MadVR but at the cost of CPU Power. My silenced air cooled HTPC is quite blowing in the wind :-D

I switched back to EVR and live with the Vol+/Vol- solution. Lets see what new surprises we get from Microsoft with the upcoming big update.

Urban51

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I performed an update to Win 1809 after defering since 1703.
    With MP 1.20 still the screen is black after DRC.
    The workaround with changing system volume (similar to open start menu) works, but if I do this a few seconds too late the video speed gets crazy: sometime way too fast, sometimes way to slow.
    The workaround with the delay after refresh rate change does not work for me: Is there any way to set a small delay after refresh rate is changed (before video starts)?

Urban51

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh guys, you realy should have told me that I do have to activate the black screen workaround in
    General -> Startup Settings -> Activate FCU workaround for black screen
    :)
    This realy makes me happy again! Now I do see the discribed little window splashing in the upper left corner and playing video and stopping (both triggering DRC) works perfectly again.

And even for PowerDVD 14 the very same issue is solved with the latest patch.

For the log book:
    AMD A8 7600 with Yamaha AVR and pretty old Panasonic Plasma connected via HDMI.

Last edited:

Cowboy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Harrr... FCU workaround works well for me. I haven't seen the option in thousand years... or so. The point is that i've had no problem with striking the Vol+ key on the keyboard but my girly didn't understand why there's a black screen even though i told her about the problem since the FCU multiple times :D

Oh i didn't know that theres a log book:
    AMD A10 7700k and Marantz AVR with 2014er Samsung 75" LCD via HDMI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom