[solved] windows 10: rc6 with mce remote control buttons not working (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Let's take a look at the logs that you posted yesterday first. Tomorrow... (unless CyberSimian has sleeping troubles :)). In the meantime, as CyberSimian suggested, you may want to disconnect the internal receiver from the mainboard.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I looked everywhere but there are only the 3 ehome devices (with built-in receiver):
    - ehome MCIR 109 keyboard
    - ehome MCIR keyboard
    - ehome Fernsteuerungstasten
    I have those too, in the "Keyboards" section of "Device Manager".

However, I also have an entry called "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in the "Human Interface Devices" section of "Device Manager". Do you have that? (Make sure that your old USB IR receiver is unplugged!)

When I double click any of the above in "Device Manager", the "General" tab shows the "Location" as being "on Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". What does yours show?

As far as i know it's impossible to disable a keyboard in device manager?
    Agreed. I had never noticed before that keyboards cannot be disabled. Sorry to give you bad advice about that. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

hansmuff25

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Hi CyberSimian

yes with old USB IR receiver i see exactly the 4 devices as you described (with one microsoft ehome infrared transceiver in human interface devices section)

That should be fine and same receiver works in old htpc

It seems like described by htpcsourcer: the built-in rc6 receiver is still working and also receives the signals? that's why most keys are pressed "two times" if i just click on left, right, up and down.

thanks!

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi CyberSimian

yes with old USB IR receiver i see exactly the 4 devices as you described (with one microsoft ehome infrared transceiver in human interface devices section)

And now go ahead and disconnect the external IR receiver ( the old one as you call it ) and restart your computer. Do you have the same devices still in there?
    This would be one way to find out if you have double signal receptions.

hansmuff25

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    that's the problem. need to contact the htpc manufacturer how this is installed and how to disconnect it

Because it's not possible via device manager

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    need to contact the htpc manufacturer how this is installed and how to disconnect it
    When only the built-in receiver is connected, if you definitely do not have an entry for "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in the "Human Interface Devices" section of "Device Manager", I think that we must conclude that the built-in receiver is not compatible with the MCE remote control. :(

So what is it compatible with? I don't know, but Microsoft have in the past produced IR keyboards, so perhaps it is intended to be used with one of those, and doesn't include the extra support needed to work with the additional buttons on the remote control.

I did have a look at your log files, but I am not an expert in reading log files, and I did not find anything that might shed light on this problem. :(

If you purchased a complete HTPC, and are reluctant to open the case to disconnect the built-in IR receiver, you could probably stick some aluminium foil over the IR window in the case, to prevent it picking up the IR signals from the remote. Use sticky tape or blu-tack to fix the foil to the case. The disadvantage is that it might look a bit inelegant. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

hansmuff25

Portal Member
    February 23, 2009
    Hi Cybersimian,

you described exactly my problem.

I contacted manufacturer how to disconnect the built.in IR. In addition they'll check if the built-in works somehow with mediaportal (maybe via harmony??)

Till then "sticky tape" :-(

Thanks everyone.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hansmuff25,

You still have not told us what system you are using. ;)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just for clarification, there are plenty of perfectly working HID IR devices supporting the full range of MCE functionalities that do not show up as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager. However as far as MP goes the eHome will work fine when using our "Microsoft MCE" handler whereas the non eHome won't. Both should work just fine with HID handler.

Obviously there is also plenty of really dodgy IR receivers that do not show as eHome and will only partially work with HID. They typically send WMC keyboard shortcuts instead of the corresponding HID codes. However being eHome is usually a good thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom