Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [FIXED] (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Re: Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start (random)

I have everything set to MS DTV Codecs - have double checked and it doesnt seem like FFDShow is being used (no icon in tray as there usually is). At one point I had FFDShow for audio passthorugh, but I must have changed everything to MS codecs. I guess tomorrow I can remove/disable ffdshow if you still think it be being used?

I have just watched a film and tried starting/stopping a few in windowed mode, so far - no freezes. However I may just be lucky - it doesnt freeze every time. Will keep testing.

If it doesnt freeze in windowed mode - are we thinking DirectX/Graphic Driver issue maybe?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

I have everything set to MS DTV Codecs - have double checked and it doesnt seem like FFDShow is being used (no icon in tray as there usually is). At one point I had FFDShow for audio passthorugh, but I must have changed everything to MS codecs. I guess tomorrow I can remove/disable ffdshow if you still think it be being used?
    ffdshow could still be used because if the connections between the configured filters is not working, the DirectShow automatically searches for an better match/filter.

If it doesnt freeze in windowed mode - are we thinking DirectX/Graphic Driver issue maybe?
    I am not sure to be honest, but that will at least bring us one step further.
    Please make sure you test with videos which did make MP freeze in fullscreen.
    To make sure that it is not a codec/video specific issue.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

Right FFDShow uninstalled and it still crashed.
    Have now disabled my soundcard (Realtek ALC850), as its got old drivers, so who knows?

Still need to test it some more and see if I can crash it in windowed mode (windowed, but video filling window). I'll get to the bottom of this.

--- UPDATE --

Nope - not the realtek driver or anything audio related as I disabled all that and it still crashed.

Now trying to crash it in windowed mode..

Then I guess i'll test the ATI drivers next.

-- AND ANOTHER UPDATE --

Finally managed to freeze it in windowed mode. Screen goes black. I can alt-tab around, but as mediaportal was on top I couldn't actually get to other apps.

So it's only MP that freezes, not the whole PC.

Next step - ATI drivers...

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

Right - may have found the cause, need to test a few more films tonight, but looks like its the ATI drivers (v 11.2). Which I guess makes some sense, as its being used for the hardware acceleration with MS DTV codecs.

I uninstalled them last night and let Windows 7 default to version 8.xx , and since then I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze.

I will update this thread in a few days if i don't see any more crashes.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

OK - Please close this thread - definitely the ATI 11.2 drivers. The older drivers work perfectly. Will try 11.1, 10.12 and so on until I find a new-ish driver that works.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

OK - Please close this thread - definitely the ATI 11.2 drivers. The older drivers work perfectly. Will try 11.1, 10.12 and so on until I find a new-ish driver that works.
    Thank you for the informations and the amazing digging you have done here! :)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AW: Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [FIXED]

Thanks from my side too. Having this too lately and didn't figure out the cause. Will try to downgrade and see if it works then.

Kimo

Portal Member
    March 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First post on this forum for me and as a direct result to a clean install of my HTPC.

I've been a loyal user of MP for some years now and I've had my share of trouble(shooting) in the past though I never really bothered to sign up and post anything. Searching usually got me the help I needed ;-)

My current problems are freezing screens, choppy playback of 1080p (and some 720p) and choppy sound. Choppy sound is something I've had many times before, but my latest upgrade was a receiver that supports HD audio formats and I bought an ATI HD5450 along with it, so I now use HDMI for sound too (SPDIF before). This ruled out my fix for that issue and since I had more problems I figured it should be something else.

I've tried out almost every possible combination of codecs and my latest thoughts were video drivers. With my latest install I updated everything from Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 to drivers and codecs. I'm currently running the 11.2 ATI drivers and I have my previous install disk ready to grab the version I was using before. Reading up on your endeavours, it strengthened my beliefs that it has to do with these drivers. I will post my results tonight when I have played around with the older drivers.

Many :D for your efforts so far and hopefully I can also post some positive results here that help out other members with similar issues.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Was definitely 11.2 drivers for me. 11.1 have been perfect. Good luck!

Kimo

Portal Member
    March 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, downgrading from version 11.2 to 11.1 did the trick for me too! :)

To sum it all up for future victims. I'm running:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1
    MediaPortal 1.1.3 with latest StreamedMP
    Plugins:
    MovingPictures
    SubCentral
    MyAnime
    MyTVSeries

(Latest version of all plugins when posting this)

I suspected the video driver so thanks for the conformation Revs, saved me some time playing with plugins and codecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom