Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [FIXED] (1 Viewer)

indigo

Portal Pro
November 13, 2006
AW: Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [FIXED]

I have installed too, but the crashes are still there. Any other ideas?
I have a m2a VM hdmi board i tryed some older Catalyst´s too but no changes the crashes by stopin a video are still there.

Klathman

Portal Member
July 19, 2007
Re: Windows 7 Freezes on video stop or start [Not FIXED]

Looks like I've been caught by this one as well. I wonder if this is related to the ATI Catalyst 99% GPU bug that ATI are still working on.

I've tried to go back to 10.5 and the lockups still happen even though I wasn't previously experiencing it with that version. It seems that if I remove the catalyst application that the lockups stop but the hardware decoding doesn't seem to work properly.

I've since tried both 11.3 and the 11.4 preview and it still seems to happen.

When it locks up CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't do anything and a hardware reset is required. It definitely seems to be related to the hardware decoding as I've even managed to replicate it with just IE9.

At the moment the only definite solution seems to be using CoreAVC and disabling hardware decoding which works but isn't optimal.

I've just tried to uninstall all ATI drivers, use Driver Cleaner Pro to clean up any traces and have reinstalled 10.5. Hopefully this is stable again but I'm not going to hold my breath yet.

This is with a HD 3850 BTW.

Motionaddict

Portal Member
January 21, 2010
Home Country
Finland Finland
I'll just chime in here since I'm also still experiencing this problem, mainly when I stop watching HD .mkv movies. The computer becomes complete unresponsive and a hardboot is the only way out. I'm on MP 1.2 beta and Catalyst 11.1 and a Asus EAH3650 graphics card. Can anyone confirm that this issue is solved on Catalyst 11.3 or 11.4 or is CoreAVC without hardware decoding the only solution to this?
Thanks!!

nominefi

Portal Pro
January 30, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
I have the same problem that motionaddict, the same grafic card, but i have the catalyst 11.4, but in MP 1.1.3.
When i stop a mkv (movie or serie) i have to do hardreset, the computer becomes complete unresponsive.
Y tried with saf 5, 6, ffdshow audio-video, power dvd 10 and 11, with default skin (normally i use streamMP), with plug-ins, without plugins.

This night i'll try with catalyst 11,1 or oldest.

Motionaddict

Portal Member
January 21, 2010
Home Country
Finland Finland
I've tried the new Catalyst 11.5a, but still have occasional freezes forcing a hardboot. It happens on both live and recorded HD TV and on HD mkv:s, but only randomly. It has happened also when switching from fullscreen to a smaller windows while watching a HD channel. I've also been thinking about downgrading the driver, but recently I'm starting to lean more towards upgrading the graphics card...

nominefi

Portal Pro
January 30, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
This night i tried with 11.1. I watched 2 mkv´s without problem with saf6 and powerdvd11 codec for video and ffdshow for audio with passtrough.

When i installed the drivers i didn´t install the DXVA from ati, only the driver and Catalyst control center.

romka420

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 13, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have been following this thread for some time now and wanted to share my experience. I am running mp 1.1.3 win7-64bit system with a ATI mobility Radeon HD 5400 card. When playing videos (avi, mkv), specifically when pressing STOP, MP does randomly freeze and requires a Ctrl+Alt+Del. Watching dvb-ip channels, when switching channels, sound works but screen stays black. Forces me to click stop twice, which brings me back to the Tv screen, then I turn the channel on and it works.

I have tried different versions of the ATI software and still can not pin point if this is a MP bug or a ATI bug. I must say, when playing avi's, mkv's or streaming using VLC, absolutely NO issues at all. Please let me know if anyone has a solution to this problem. I would be happy to provide logs so that we can pin-point this once and for all.

Thanks!~

tree089

July 18, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi guys,

I think I found the origin of this failure. I think everybody who experienced this freeze uses ffdshow !?
    Because if I switch the "stream switcher" in the ffdshow audio configuration to off (that results in overlapping the various soundtracks), the system doesn't freeze again at all by clicking the stop-button.
    Try to point out if you experience the same and post it here. The question now is, how can this problem be solved ?

By the way, I'm using HD 6450 Driver 11.6 in Win7 x64 Professional and MP 1.1.3. !

I'm curious about your answers !
    Sorry if my English doesn't satisfy your claims :)

tree089

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom