Operating System Windows 7 Guide / Tips and Tricks (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It sure is, but my current W7 install is using 2,34 GB RAM...I know about readyboost and sowhat, but my point is that this big machinery is not neccesary to run 2 local processes and a harddrive (which TV-Server really is).

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    personall i hant used the starter addition but i would think it was to light on media features to be of any use as a tv server the other issue is how you obtain a license as from what i understand it is only available to OEM's to ship preinstalled on low spec machines.

i have just obtained Windows 7 RTM x64 so once i have upgraded my notebook and workstation and tested everything will also be updating my HTPC with the RTM version,

Windows 7 is by far the best OS microsoft has produced and well worth the investment and one you will not regret

thats my two cents anyway

Recently bought myself a technet + subscription so I have 10 licenses for each version.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Have just embedded a youtube video in my website that shows what my HTPC looks like booting, shows how much / little of windows you see with the tips used here,

also shows the speed with which the pc boots and loads mediaportal the first 13 seconds is bios controlled so cannot be altered so actual windows and mediaportal loading time is only about 40 seconds

total time from pressing power button to watching media less than 60 seconds :)
    Could you post a direct link to this video? I couldn't find it browsing your site.

lazlong

Portal Member
    June 1, 2007
    Perth
    Home Country
    Some notes on my Windows 7 install using TV in Australia

Add this to your guide:
    In TV server configuration, under additional 3rd party checks DO NOT "enable policy to prevent services startup". This will stop the green button working when you change the ehome.exe file.

I have an Antec Fusion case and a cheap irock ($30) remote. iMon uses the IR receiver in the LCD but the USB works exceptionally better with longer range. You can not turn off the remote in iMon and I wanted the LCD to show information - really handy having a bar showing percentage of movie/tv left. I had to dismantle the front of the case and put masking tape over the IR receiver. Works well now.

EPG - guidedigger for us Aussies is great and relatively easy to use. Getting started is a bit of effort creating the xmltv stuff and I wish I documented that.

Probably also a good idea to change the recording pathname in tv server configuration. It used to default to name\name-blah. On mine the actual recorded TV names came up as unknown etc until I changed it.

Will add more as I go. Thanks for the guide - was really helpful.

P.S. I used SAF for codecs.

Mr.Wifi

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2008
    Düsseldorf
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is it possible to assign two different h264 codecs in win7 like core avc for video and power dvd 9 h264 / microsoft codec for hdtv ?

How do you handle the refreshrate change in win7 ? Afaik MP´s changer don´t work within win7 and reclock doesn´t work for me and spdif output ( stuttering, missing words etc. )

Thx in advance :)

Chuckyy

Portal Member
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

ive got an issue with remote desktop (rdp) in Windows Seven.
    Ive configured concurrent sessions by the guide from missing-remote.com, so I can run MP and log into a second account doing different stuff.
    But everytime I log remotely into a second account, Mediaportal gets minimized in the main account.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to get rid of it?

Thanks, Chuckyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom