Operating System Windows 7 Guide / Tips and Tricks (1 Viewer)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I had to use ultravnc to be able to use mediaportal remotely.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    When I wake from sleep my x264 videos stutter like crazy until I bring up task manager and play with the interface for a little bit... then the stuttering is magically gone. A fresh restart does not have this issue... only when waking from sleep.

I'm using the latest SAF filter pack along with Windows 7 Pro x64. You can see my hardware in my signature. Is anyone else suffering from this?

Crew

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Setting up the green button as you do. How do you stop the green button from loading mediaportal again instead of going to the home menu?

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I will give Windows 7 a try next weekend and I'm still not sure if choosing the 64bit Version does have any restrictions / pros and cons.

Most problems affect of missing drivers, but as far as I see for my hardware it shouldn't.

So does anyone have still problems with a 64bit system?

Thanks!

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

I will give Windows 7 a try next weekend and I'm still not sure if choosing the 64bit Version does have any restrictions / pros and cons.

Most problems affect of missing drivers, but as far as I see for my hardware it shouldn't.

So does anyone have still problems with a 64bit system?

Thanks!

Remember that MP is not made for 64bit.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MP runs fine on W7-64, but it's a little difficult to get the right drivers I think. I only run W7 on my laptop (Lenovo) and I have had to use Vista drivers on some of the hardware + a lot of special buttons etc. is not supported (yet).

I find that W7-32 drivers are easier to find. But once you have gone 64-bit with 8 GB RAM it's kinda hard going back :D

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    I've never had an issue searching for drivers (for modern hardware not some obscure item like a printer from 5 years ago) for Vista or Windows 7 64 bit OSes. In fact Windows 7 supports most devices out of the box; that's how it was for both my desktop computer and my htpc. Even my networking was working after first boot.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    On my desktop, laptop and htpc... all installations took between 20-30 minutes and at that point I was in windows. So yes I suspect something is wrong with your installation lol.

Laverne

Portal Pro
    August 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well i noticed installing the 64bit build of windows 7 took much longer time on my notebook than installing the 32bit build. On my new core i5 750 machine there wasn´t any difference. Even i noticed the 32bit build is running faster on my notebook than the 64bit build. I´m nearly sure that is caused by the limited L2 cache of my notebook cpu. It´s a T3200 cpu with only 1MB L2 Cache for both cores. On my new core i5 750 machine both builds run fine and there is no difference in speed or behaviour. But i switched back to the 32bit build on both machines because there wasn´t any advantage using a 64bit build. I have 4GB of Ram in the core i5 machine. With the 32bit build i got 3,5GB of useable ram and windows is consuming 500MB of ram while running in idle. With the 64bit windows i got 4GB useable ram but windows was consuming 1,1GB ram while running in idle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom