Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (4 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The hotplug detection for DVI and HDMI works - as already mentioned in this forum - over a "hot plug detect" wire in the cable. If this wire wasn't there, windows would not be able to detect wether the TV/monitor is pluged/unpluged.

That approach wont work with all canfigurations. I tested it a while ago with dev PC + GT430 + Onkyo amp + monitor. It will work on some cases, but on some cases it causes complete loss of video signal on monitor. Good for some setups but not a solution for all setups. In the other hand same setup works perfectly with the fail safe resolution changed to 1920x1080.

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi tourettes,

if the TV is not recognized "initially" due to the missing hot plug cable, one could connect with VNC to that PC and go to the screen resolution dialog in Windows 7.

There are 2 buttons, I think they are called "Detect" and "Identify". Pressing "Detect" should detect the TV and bring the video signal back again.

You are right, that changing failsave resolution to 1920x1080 will work for some setups, but in my case it didn't, as it was not used due to the second internal display.

Last edited:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Some stuff is hard to solve if no dev can reproduce it on demand or make a connection to the code. Not every dev knows all the code. /me and tsreader? No clue...

Identified the root cause more or less by chance and then found a way to prevent it as well as digging down more D3D issues until finally identified the root causes (yep, plural in this case). Very, very ancient parts of the code in relation to D3D no one has touched in years and no active dev attached to this part of the code.

From general ACPI levels, over Windows messages, down to D3D and various C# parts. Now that I know what it was (patch will have complete description) it was an easy one to identify. But that's usually the case for all post mortem discussions.

But again, has to go through Area 51 as I cannot reproduce the issue at all it there might be additional regressions for people who can reproduce it that are now left overs of the main issue and all it subparts.

I quoted the above post from Scythe for information purpose.
    Scythe42 seems to have solved the issue where MP would return back on 50% of the screen after output device is disabled/enabled.
    We will have to wait untill after MP 1.3b is released for Scythe to build a patch, as he currently has a broken wrist.

All the talk about pins to cover, fallback resolutions etc is likely not needed anymore with the patch.
    For music playback the audio will not be lost anymore with the current area 51 build (rework audio ..)
    For video playback I dont know if Scythe's patch fixes it, or if there are other patches. Hopefully it is fixed.
    I might be wrong with all this. If so please tell me. :)

Last edited:

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    On my setup just removing (or taping) the hot plug pin results in no picture at all (as tourettes said) and I found no way to force the detection.

Previously editing the registry worked fine, but after some updates a while ago the problems came back. What finally did solve this issue for me was this 'beauty': http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/ (last post). Windows now believes the TV is always on.

//W

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    We will have to wait untill after MP 1.3b is released for Scythe to build a patch, as he currently has a broken wrist.
    Well it is not just a broken wrist atm. He was in an accident and that will most likely take a long time to recover from.

So right now I am not able to guarantee anything. It actually looks quite grim to get that fix finished, because in the process of fixing it, he also fixed/reworked a _lot_ of other hacks and bugs.

The problem we now have is that because this patch is _very_ complex, and we don't have an other developer who feels capable of continuing his work - which does require a _lot_ of cleanup at the moment. You don't quite know were to start with it and what was done why. :(

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well it is not just a broken wrist atm. He was in an accident and that will most likely take a long time to recover from.

Argh.. This is bad news. Didnt know he was that unlucky. Thank you for letting us know.
    Hope he gets and feels well quickly. Thats most important imo.

alpinestars

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows 8 seems to have fixed this issue for me... No more resoltuion changes / half screen stuff. Yeeehaw!!!!

I moved to Windows 8 (Pro, 64-bit) and unfortunately the problem is still there. My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the AV receiver Pioneer VSX-827 and then via HDMI to the Sony TV. Shit, I really hoped that Windows 8 is the key.

FragKing

Portal Member
    November 2, 2008
    Zurich
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Sorry... Really worked for me. Same setup as with Windows 7 where I had the problem. But I also use a GIT MP build, maybe there was something fixed in it after all? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom