Windows 7 Support (3 Viewers)

Infidelus

Portal Pro
August 12, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MP doesn't block installation on Windows 7. All you have to do (as mentioned earlier in this thread) is run the deploy tool in compatibility mode. I chose XP SP2 compatibility and it installed straight away no problems.

I haven't tested everything, as I'm primarily using my for watching recorded telly, but what I have tested works fine so far.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Just weighing in here; when Windows 7 is released I plan to go straight to it from XP and skip Vista entirely. So from a development point of view, it might be worth looking into Windows 7 compatibility sooner rather than later.

It would be odd to invest dev time in making an app work on Vista if it turns out that 6 months from now, most users are going to Windows 7 and all that Vista work was possibly better spent on Windows 7.

Just a single user pov!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It would be odd to invest dev time in making an app work on Vista if it turns out that 6 months from now, most users are going to Windows 7 and all that Vista work was possibly better spent on Windows 7.

As you might know Windows 7 is based on Vista, so they share lot of code. Also many users wont update their working Vista system's (me included) to Windows 7 when it becomes available (why update something that works without issues?).

Of cource Windows 7 compatibility issues (if there are any) should be solved at some point.

MrEMan

Portal Member
    February 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Also many users wont update their working Vista system's (me included) to Windows 7 when it becomes available (why update something that works without issues?).

Of cource Windows 7 compatibility issues (if there are any) should be solved at some point.

I think a lot will move from Vista to the next one. Vista is another WindowsME, a test build that filled a gap for a tiny amount of time, how many people do you know that were still running ME months after they first installed it.

At the moment on 7beta there is nothing i use that does not work that worked on vista.

Regards

Malingo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see absolutly no reason to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 7. Why should I? It is running fine on Vista.
    What advantages do I get? More performance? The processor barely hits 20%, as it is now.

For me, this would be thrown out 80€ for the upgrade.

I bet most users will leave their HTPC on the OS it is running now, be it WinXP or WinVI. It just is not worth the cost. Unless the first experiences with 7 come in and it solves all current problems with MP ;)

BrownGhost

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Me and 2 of my friends are moving from vista, to win 7 beta, as the beta runs better than vista. its stable and lightning fast.. I’m removing vista from my 3 home computers, all will run win 7 :), my friend will upgrade his 2, and the last dude will have it on his work laptop.
    We been testing for 1 month now... never ever have MS released something this good, fast and stable :)

delboyuk

Portal Member
    January 20, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Winows 7 & MCE Remote Control Keys in MediaPortal

I have upgraded my Media centre PC from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 beta because the of great updates to the Media Centre component - if you haven't had a look at this, or better still tried it, then i suggest you have a go.

For me Windows 7 Media Centre now includes full support for my Hauppauge Nova-HD-S2 satellite card, with native support for BBC HD & ITV HD out of the box, plus a fully working EPG - no messing around.

The only problem i have come across is that most of the keys on my Microsoft MCE remote control (except for the OK and arrow keys) have stopped working in MediaPortal v1.0. They all work perfectly in Windows 7 Media Centre, so it looks like Windows 7 is somehow stopping these keys getting through to MediaPortal !!

Anyone else noticed this ???:(

Malingo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So you are running Windows7 Media center in parallel to MP?
    So probably the Mediacenter tray application will receive the remote commands, MP never gets them. You have to kill the media center tray process to get it to work (Which will be restarted every time you start media center or restart your computer)

From what I know, Win7 Media center still does not support DVB-C, so I will not even take a look at it.

burnett2win

Portal Member
    February 18, 2007
    Hi

I'm wondering if anyone got the 'green button' working in win 7 to start MP.
    I tried it with MPtray and IRSS but no sucess.

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Mediaportal TV Server does not work properly under Windows 7 build 7000. It's not possible to watch and record a channel at the same time. The same problem occurs with on Vista with the TV Pack 2008 installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom