Windows 8: Would You Update? (1 Viewer)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am looking to update my OS at Christmas to utilise Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre 5 for 3D Blu-rays within MP.

I am currently using XPSP3 with no issues (MP ver. 1.2.2). My question is simply this: would you update to version 8 of Windows? Given some of the pointed criticism of this latest version, I am hestiant about the upgrade, even given Microsoft's discounted rates for the product, until 31st January, 2013. Or should I buy Windows 7 instead (I have never used w7):

NZD$50 for the OS
    free for the Media center add-on {not that it is any issue: could continue to use LAV filters}

Criteria that is important to me, for a complete HTPC experience are:

1) customisation of desktop, load splashscreen, boot & logon screens
    2) stable network to systems using XPSP3
    3) stable use of Flash player for media streaming off the internet (not necessarily from inside MP)
    4) ease of setting up shortcuts for commonly used apps, etc. (currently use an old app -Winkey & Logitech SetPoint software)

I would appreciate anyone who has either trialled w8 or has upgraded for their experience with the OS. Thanks.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wouldn't want to run Windows 8 yet, but I wouldn't recommend buying Windows 7 now that Windows 8 is out. Does that help? (n)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wouldn't want to run Windows 8 yet, but I wouldn't recommend buying Windows 7 now that Windows 8 is out. Does that help? (n)
    Thanks for the reply. Want to qualify why you wouldn't buy W7, if W8 comes up to spec in the near future? & what W8 specs do you like for an HTPC? Cheers.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Keep in mind that MP 1.2.x will not install/run on W8, and MP 1.3.0 Alpha has to be hacked to work with it. We plan to add W8 as an 'unsupported' OS for MP 1.3.0 Beta (so that it can be installed) but there may be W8-related issues that we haven't discovered yet, so you'll be at the cutting edge of MP1 development for a while :)

Tony

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Unless you want to be a beta tester I wouldn't run Win8 for MP, It's pretty much guaranteed to be unstable, and since most users are in win7/xp any bugs will take a lot longer to get reported and may get less attention (if any)

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I wouldn't use Win8 at all, no matter if I would get it for free.. It's not worth a dime. Win8 is a huge step backward on "normal" desktop PCs. And it's missing too much Multimedia stuff a modern OS has to have included. So no use on HTPC as well. Maybe on a tablet it's usable, but there I prefer Android for sure...
    Win7 is the best Microsoft OS and it will be the best until Win 9 is out (maybe further on as well, who knows...).

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the end this is not a question of rationally weighing the pros and cons of technical details. Just ask yourself if you are one of those guys who always have to try out something new or not. If you have fun in playing around with your system go for 8, if you want to have a stable solution with a lot of existing user experience and knowledge around then you want to go with 7. As your still on XP assume the latter...
    Buying Win 7 now in my opinion is not as pointless as it might sound. The price is down and when you rip of all that metro bs in 8 there is not much difference between the two...

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for your answers. It definitely has allowed me to determine I will go with W7. I had thought that would be, You have confirmed my suspicion on the issue.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    An just to give you some added confidence, Win7 is a massive improvement over XP and will give you far quicker recovery from standby as well as being more stable.

You will also be able to try MP2 with it!

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Could every of you tell us that you have used win8 for some reasonable time? Not preview of course...

And also - i have never got any installation issue with win8 and 1.3A. Somethng interesting is happening for people with this.

Also about win8 - if you buy win 8 pro you will get downgrade rights, so you get both versions.

Win 8 is much faster then win 7 also. My FloppyDTV cards had used legacy firewire drivers in win7, they are perfect redone in win8.

I use win8 in kiosk mode, so no interface is shown and you should not have used to that new metro view ;)

Also - SMB 3.0 is perfect, older in win7 every time you are from network waking up the sleeping HDD on HTPC - the tv is freezing for a while. Quicker access to shares in win8.

So lot of good things in the future for users, just go and try win8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom