Operating System Windows 8 (2 Viewers)

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    i use the tool "classicshell" for start directly in Desktop screen and i have a customizable Startmenu.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for this. Its nice to "skip" metro start and head straight into MP. On occasion my HTPC does still go to the login screen but that is no biggy as the remote will click past it.
    I had a problem with win8 selecting the wrong driver for my tv tuners, but with the help of classicshell every thing else has gone smoothly.
    I'm surprised about the previous posts regarding dvd playback. I havn't used a dvd for video in many years , surely it is only a legacy option now?
    It is nice to have a OS for ~$45 - this must be the least expensive Windows ever
    BRING ON TITAN

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there any place I can find a compilation of things that need to be done to get MP running on Windows 8? I am currently downloading it and would like to try it out with 1.3 RC (though I know that final is just around the corner). Any other tips concerning W8? Thanks for your help!

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Check out this thread, it has some good tips.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...windows-8-some-tips.113474/page-3#post-967783

I like to add that a fresh clean install of Windows 8 works much better then an upgrade from windows 7. I had it working OK with the upgrade, but ran into problems when other hardware started to give problems, causing the database to get corrupted all the time.

Now on the clean Windows 8 install.. MediaPortal works better then ever!

One issue that I have not figured out yet is that the TVserver does not start properly after the HTPC wakes up from sleep.. this means I cant do scheduled recordings of live TV.. the TV server has to be restarted before I can watch live TV, but if all is working, it is working very well. Note I run MP 1.2.3 FINAL, because 1.3.0 RC does not have all the plug ins working yet. Timeshifting is not a problem at all. Movies play beautifully (LAV codecs only!)

Nice thing is that you can navigate win8 with the remote, and do not need a keyboard, if you wish, MP does appear as tiles on my win8.. but if you run the desktop, it is is just the same as with windows 7.

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Your wake from sleep problem is probably that win8 has difficulties with firewire drivers (especially with FireDTV cards).
    Yesterday have had tested install old win7 legacy drivers - no luck. If you hibernate - everything is ok with standard win8 drivers. But sleep does not wake firewire in right way.[DOUBLEPOST=1361516635][/DOUBLEPOST]In Microsoft Technet forum there is topic but not resolved yet

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/0790f015-544f-4fb5-8cb9-db158a771e1d/

Internships

February 26, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Recently i installed windows 8 in my computer but it is too much complex then windows 7. So i will again install windows 7.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm... 1st post by a user, direct to a Windows 8 topic with a generic message not having any context and then just name equals signature equals some site. Guess it is click bait. But let's wait if we see him again.

Last edited:

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have been using Mediaportal 1.3 alpha on Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit for some time now.
    Finally I got everything to work except for one thing, controling the volume through the remote control.
    When pressing the volume up or down button on the remote control it is the Windows 8/computor soundand widget that is activated.
    If I press - or + on the keyboard the Mediaportal sound and widget is activated as expected.
    I have tried to map for example the red and green teletext buttons to volume up and down but nothing happens when pressing them.
    I have tried both the Master and the Wave setting in the Mediaportal configuration.

Anybody else that have the same problem or have been able to solve it?

Except for this I am very pleased with Mediaportal runing on Windows 8.

/Erik
    I face the same issue. No solution so far. Muting works, though.

G.

I have found the problem with the remote control. Win8 will start the service for the remote "delayed". This will cause that the volume button only "sporadically" does not work.

The service is named in german "Zugriff auf Eingabegeräte" und eng "Access to input devices". Change the start type to automatic - NOT delayed. Reboot your system - done

I run this now since 2 weeks without any problems.

/Daniel

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Jelmo, super news :)

Just to understand as I do not get in German :) - where do you find this service?

I have found Human interface device access (as HIDSERV) but no Access to input devices.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess Jelmos translation is just a guess. I think microsoft translates HID with "Eingabegeräte", so "human interfave device access" is probalby the right service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom