Operating System Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    It is interesting - DVD works with StreamedMP skin. Don't rreally know is it somehow related, but started playing, waited a bit and DVD menu appeared! Just subtitles or also menu some overlays could not be shown. Error in logs:

2012-09-23 10:26:11.797058 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: DVDPlayer:Failed translating subpicture ID to string[DOUBLEPOST=1348392210][/DOUBLEPOST]Also after some view of dvd and trying get back to MP this problem stopped GUI to work, MP worked in background still:

2012-09-23 12:02:16.848877 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Exception :Error in the application.
    2012-09-23 12:02:16.860878 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: site :Void PresentInternal(Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.tagRECT*, Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.tagRECT*, IntPtr)
    2012-09-23 12:02:16.871879 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: source :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    2012-09-23 12:02:16.883882 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: stacktrace: at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, IntPtr overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, Control overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()
    at MediaPortalApp.Render(Single timePassed)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    So some more discoveries. MCE remote had been loosing volume control ability. Found out in the net that after windows 7 USB devices after waking up are not restarted and some devices could be lost.

Just going to Control panel and troubleshooting eHome tranceiver device made a fix - windows itself made correction and put this device to reinitialize after waking up :)[DOUBLEPOST=1348675229][/DOUBLEPOST]Also was problem with no free card message. Powerscheduler++ reinitialization after wake up solved the problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1348675288][/DOUBLEPOST]DVD still strangely can not be put to graph. Starts trying and aborts (from logs).

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So some more discoveries. MCE remote had been loosing volume control ability. Found out in the net that after windows 7 USB devices after waking up are not restarted and some devices could be lost.

Just going to Control panel and troubleshooting eHome tranceiver device made a fix - windows itself made correction and put this device to reinitialize after waking up :)[DOUBLEPOST=1348675229][/DOUBLEPOST]Also was problem with no free card message. Powerscheduler++ reinitialization after wake up solved the problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1348675288][/DOUBLEPOST]DVD still strangely can not be put to graph. Starts trying and aborts (from logs).

Thanks for that tip .... looks like that it also works for me now

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe one time have MP as a Metro App and have it start directly?

Sorry - nonsense ;-)

How is it nonsense?

http://www.srtsolutions.com/why-windows-isvs-should-take-windows-8-metro-very-seriously

I do not totally agree with the writer of that article, the Desktop does have very handy functions, which are impossible to find under the 'modern' tile interface. (try to find 'configuration'). "Legacy" apps do show up in the task bar and using Alt-Tab... Some apps do not like touch, like mediaportal, we would like to keep our 42" 1080P fullHD LED TV Panels as clean as possible.. luckily the tiles work with mouse clicks just as good :)

By the way, apps you often start up from the desktop, do appear in the 'modern' tile interface, as a square tile with the normal icon inside it, I do start mediaportal from the 'modern' interface now and works fine.

None the less, it would be great if Mediaportal develops an App that can be downloaded from the windows App store, and keeps it up to date automatically.. probably without even noticing it is updated... But with all the plugins that attach to MP, I do also see some disadvantages to that.

So it is no nonsense, but might be difficult to achieve.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tourettes wrote:
    Desktop applications are not first-class apps
    The Desktop is a Metro app. That means desktop apps do not show up as individual apps in the task bar, or in task switching. They have limited features for sharing, standard metro menus, and more.
    Metro apps will be more fully integrated into the Windows 8 experience than any legacy desktop applications.​

This claim has nothing to do with MP. There is simply no need to access other software on HTPC.

Ho ho, not so quick.. here you speak for yourself only...Because I do everything on my HTPC!, write emails, surf the internet, facebook, twitter, check this and many other forums, using office applications etc.. and watching live TV and movies via MP..At least Chrome is running , and sometimes an office application the same time as Mediaportal.. I use Alt Tab to switch between them.

While watching TV I often use the commercials to check on my email and social apps.. All from the comfort of my lazy chair, with a lighted Logitech wireless keyboard (grrreat that the keys light up in a rather dark living room) a Microsoft remote and a Logitech wireless optical trackbal.. But I must say I am single, so I do not have to bother about other people in the house.

BTW that claim above from the article is plain wrong! Individual "legacy" Apps do show up in task bar and in Task switching (Alt-Tab) .. I use it everyday! and are NOT running 'within' the Desktop App (that is true, Desktop IS an app, which can be closed using dragging from the top to the bottom, like in Metro.. but when doing that Apps started from the Desktop keep running (like Mediaportal))

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I do not totally agree with the writer of that article, the Desktop does have very handy functions, which are impossible to find under the 'modern' tile interface. (try to find 'configuration').
    Which configuration are we talking about. The win + w shortcut is brilliant. I can access all apps and control panel settings much faster than I ever could in Windows 7 :) win + d is still desktop so that is useful too. I am not finding it too bad :cool:

erikture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have been using Mediaportal 1.3 alpha on Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit for some time now.
    Finally I got everything to work except for one thing, controling the volume through the remote control.
    When pressing the volume up or down button on the remote control it is the Windows 8/computor soundand widget that is activated.
    If I press - or + on the keyboard the Mediaportal sound and widget is activated as expected.
    I have tried to map for example the red and green teletext buttons to volume up and down but nothing happens when pressing them.
    I have tried both the Master and the Wave setting in the Mediaportal configuration.

Anybody else that have the same problem or have been able to solve it?

Except for this I am very pleased with Mediaportal runing on Windows 8.

/Erik

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The apps are the main reason why I'm going Windows 8 on my HTPCs, the only problem is that none of the apps I want are there yet. QQ

GoldenEye

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have been using Mediaportal 1.3 alpha on Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit for some time now.
    Finally I got everything to work except for one thing, controling the volume through the remote control.
    When pressing the volume up or down button on the remote control it is the Windows 8/computor soundand widget that is activated.
    If I press - or + on the keyboard the Mediaportal sound and widget is activated as expected.
    I have tried to map for example the red and green teletext buttons to volume up and down but nothing happens when pressing them.
    I have tried both the Master and the Wave setting in the Mediaportal configuration.

Anybody else that have the same problem or have been able to solve it?

Except for this I am very pleased with Mediaportal runing on Windows 8.

/Erik
    I face the same issue. No solution so far. Muting works, though.

G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom