vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all.

Has anyone tried running TvEngine 0.3 on WHS ?

If so, what has been your experience ?

thank you

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    WOW.... 2 days and not a single reply.

I guess this answers my question... :-(

mayankel

Portal Member
    January 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi Vvulture; I'm trying to install TVE3 in WHS but i don't know if i need to install MSSQL in WHS. Can you help me?

Regards

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    vvulture - Let me say from experience I would NOT put the TvEngine on WHS! WHS has a few processes/services that would cause major problems with the stability of WHS. The biggest service I wouldn't want to have a problem with is the backup service - I wouldn't want that interupted for any reason!

There have been developers writing small services that appear to work OK but nothing that require CPU like the TvEngine does. I see the WHS getting "squirrelly" (like watching a squirell dart back and forth at times) just on its own and don't need anything interfering with it.

m0deth

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    awww dammit, that would have been the perfect combination for me, tv/media server and occaisional file server all in one.

I have a question....if you choose not to use the backup function over lan....and retain whatever you currently use on the client end...can the new engine and subsequent MP Media server plugin be used on this?

I realize this is all speculative until WHS comes out of beta and is (fairly) stable to begin with so....any ideas?

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Vvulture; I'm trying to install TVE3 in WHS but i don't know if i need to install MSSQL in WHS. Can you help me?

Regards

Thats what i am trying to find out as well...

i have tve3 with my sql on whs running

ms sql have some problems to install on whs

What kind of problems ??

vvulture - Let me say from experience I would NOT put the TvEngine on WHS! WHS has a few processes/services that would cause major problems with the stability of WHS. The biggest service I wouldn't want to have a problem with is the backup service - I wouldn't want that interupted for any reason!

Fair enough, but that only applies if you plan on using the over-lan backup functions... I for one am not..

awww dammit, that would have been the perfect combination for me, tv/media server and occaisional file server all in one.

I have a question....if you choose not to use the backup function over lan....and retain whatever you currently use on the client end...can the new engine and subsequent MP Media server plugin be used on this?

I realize this is all speculative until WHS comes out of beta and is (fairly) stable to begin with so....any ideas?

I would think that it would be ok. I am currently using SageTV and it runs fine on WHS as a service.

BTW.. WHS is out of beta.. currently RC1.

Thanks for feedback guys. Much appreciated.

cheers

Roberdin

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2005
    London, United Kingdom
    Even using the TV Server SVNs (on XP, but this still largely applies), and I have been for a while now, I have never experienced a full system crash due to the TV Server. Sure, the TV service pops off for a nap every so often, or doesn't bother to start at all for some inexplicable purpose, but it hasn't affected any other service on my computer. Even if the backup service was brought down infrequently by the TV Service, surely it would simply begin from where it left off once it was rebooted, or after a brief period of determining when the latest backup had been saved per file. Are you telling me that if I accidentally pulled the plug on WHS, the backups it held would be ruined?

There have been developers writing small services that appear to work OK but nothing that require CPU like the TvEngine does. I see the WHS getting "squirrelly" (like watching a squirell dart back and forth at times) just on its own and don't need anything interfering with it.
    Surely WHS doesn't need to handle that much on the average home network, just the odd differential backup calculation (which is hardly a real-time priority) and sending the occasional files back to computers who request it. What sort of load are they expected to be handling? Or are they planning to ship WHS with old 166 MHz processors? =P Even when time-shifting and recording multiple channels and trying to detect adverts in real time, the TV service on my computer rarely uses anything more than 10% of my Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, and that would be at peak usage. Dumping part of a .TS stream to disc really is not CPU intensive.

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    I'm interested in trying out WHS with tvserver too - I have access to the beta but never got time to test it out because I didn't have a spare HDD for my server.

If TVE3 runs on WHS it would be very tempting...

Users who are viewing this thread