[Info] Windows Phone App (1 Viewer)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe allow Clients to InitStream with custom profileXmlNode generated by the client. this way no change is required for every new client.
    Yes, something like that. I've to think a bit about compatibility though, as the format of the transcoder configuration will probably change with each MPExtended release (i.e. new VLC version requires new parameters, other path, different installation directories).

Anyway, for now I'll add your profile to MPExtended 0.5.4. Would it be a problem for you if I changed the target to windows-phone-ts for consistency with the other targets (i.e. can you easily update your app to a new target, or does that require re-approval and delays)?

If I read the streaming profile properly, you are using vlc to encode the original file or stream (if tv that would be mpeg2 video codec in .ts container) into an mp4 container with .h264 video codec. I think that is compatible with WP7! (depending on resolution, etc, etc,).
    No, as already mentioned it encodes the video to H.264 and MP3 into an MPEG2 TS container. MP4 doesn't support live streaming at all: that's not a limitation of WP8, it's a limitation of the container.

What I don't understand is how MPExtended recognizes the client and creates the pick-list of compatible streaming profiles.
    It's quite simple actually: the client sends the supported targets (i.e. what's inside the <Target> tag), and MPExtended sends a list of all compatible streaming profiles. For WebMediaPortal, the supported targets are pc-vlc-video and pc-vlc-audio (always), pc-flash-video and pc-flash-audio (when on a PC) and mobile-hls-video (when on Android, iOS or Mac OS X).

I guess that the Plex server must have a smoothstreaming server implementation.
    Certainly looks like it.

jwe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2011
    Germany/Hessen/MKK
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Would it be a problem for you if I changed the target to windows-phone-ts for consistency with the other targets (i.e. can you easily update your app to a new target, or does that require re-approval and delays)?

will be no problem.
    for beta i am using the profile name "WP8 High VLC" :)

My submition has been rejected.. because they cant test it(webservice etc)...
    Comments: The application cannot be tested for compliance for Windows Phone Application Certification Requirements due to geographic, hardware, and/or software limitation(s). The application requires a valid MediaPortal StreamingProfile account along with configuration settings for tvserver software.

Will check how to go around this.

windows-phone-ts
    Update: will using this target for my player, I have to resubmit the binary anyway.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Pretty lame action from Microsoft imo. Come on, if you want to test all apps, at least put some effort into it.

Regarding the profile name, it might be better to don't hardcode it. They're not really supposed to be used for anything else than identification for humans. It's better to call GetTranscoderProfilesForTarget(target=windows-phone-ts) and allow the user to skect the profile from that list. This also allows users to experiment with profile settings themselves.

If you already do that, great, I just misunderstood then. I won't change the name though, so feel free to do whatever you think is right. At least thanks for changing the target :)

jwe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2011
    Germany/Hessen/MKK
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah. i am now using the target you suggested.
    Current trying to resubmit the app, but the xap upload on dev.windowsphone.com seems to be broken :mad:

I posted the XAP on the first post now, for the people who want to try this app and have an dev-unlocked phone.

Christofer

March 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    . On Client side is a custom mpeg-ts parser which is not implemented on WP by default.

Wow, I'm not sure the other here realize the impressive amount of work that you have put in making this app. I'm too working on a MPEG-TS parser for a HLS player and it's sure not easy to do. Any chance you could share your code?

jwe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2011
    Germany/Hessen/MKK
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The App finally is in the store.
    Updated first Post with store Link.[DOUBLEPOST=1363981936][/DOUBLEPOST]Ohh.. found a first bug. Don't know if its my fault, but MPExtended is not stopping the stream on tv server... so the Card keeps being in use. I call StopStream Method, but it does not seem to work...? Oxan?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ohh.. found a first bug. Don't know if its my fault, but MPExtended is not stopping the stream on tv server... so the Card keeps being in use. I call StopStream Method, but it does not seem to work...? Oxan?
    Sorry, I missed your post. Next time you can put an @ before my name, which will give me an alert and probably cause me to respond sooner ;)

Try to call FinishStream instead of StopStream. The naming is a bit confusing, but the difference is that after a StopStream call you can call StartStream again (with a different position parameter, for example), so it keeps the timeshifting around. That doesn't happen with FinishStream.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ohh.. found a first bug. Don't know if its my fault, but MPExtended is not stopping the stream on tv server... so the Card keeps being in use. I call StopStream Method, but it does not seem to work...? Oxan?
    Sorry, I missed your post. Next time you can put an @ before my name, which will give me an alert and probably cause me to respond sooner ;)
    Also @jwe you can hang out in the IRC channel. Lots of discussion on things like this go on there. #MP-Extended on Freenode. There are even webpages that handle the client side of IRC for you =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom