Windows Vista MCE Replacement Driver (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok, so you've go the replacement driver installed?
    Did you install and enable the MCE Replacement Plugin?
    And disable the built in MCE Remote support in MediaPortal.

Also, if the you've done all that, the driver may need to be manually installed the same way as the old driver is installed. using the "Update Driver" option in Device Manager, maybe try that if nothing else works.

Cheers,

Alberto

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    Thank, work fine, but the remote dont adjust the volume in mediaportal, and the remote not work in windows media center.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    When you install the replacement driver (either on vista or xp) you will lose the ability to control Media Center. The replacement driver doesn't work the same way as the Microsoft driver.

To use the replacement driver you need to have either MediaPortal with the MCE Replacement Plugin, or use HIP or Girder.

I don't know why the volume keys would not work, maybe they are not mapped correctly, take a look at the input mapper in the MCE Replacement plugin and see if you can find a mapping for Volume Up/Down.

I would test this with Vista myself, but my trial period just ran out (I was using a Pre-RC1 that a friend gave me). I'll try to get a retail copy of Vista in the next week or so.

Hope that helps,

amilewski

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2007
    Jelenia Góra
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi,
    driver works well after restart here (Vista 23bit and MP+latest SVN), there is some problem with volume: slider moves from 0% to 80% only, so I can't set it to max value.
    Also, there are two things to think about:
    - MCE keyboard does not work with this driver (multimedia buttons work but letter keys do not)
    - remote does not work in windows and apps other then MP.

All in all, good work :)
    regards

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Amilewski,

The problem you're having with Volume is very strange, I don't know what could be causing that.

Also, the Replacement driver will not work with the MCE Keyboard, unfortunately.

I'm working on interfacing with the default driver in Windows Vista, but my vista demo has expired, so my development effort there has been reduced.

I will try to get something working soon.

The remote will not work in other apps with the replacement driver (either on Vista or XP), you can use it with something like HIP or Girder to make it work with other applications though. Or with a new tool I'll be bringing out shortly.

I'll post back when I have some more news for Vista users.

Cheers,

amilewski

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2007
    Jelenia Góra
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thank And-81 for prompt answer and for clarifying those things, the problems I mentioned in my previous post are not in fact problems but shoul be treated as considerations or feature requests as your work is very well promising.
    I'm realy impressed with your work and see you are not going to stop on this.
    Keep on!

regards

ricbal

Portal Member
    February 13, 2007
    Hey,

Sorry for the ignorance....
    I've been using the MCE Replacement plugin for a while... It's quite goog and I have to thank And-81 for its beautifull work first of all...
    Anyway, I have never been able to install the replacement driver... Does anyone have any idea why? I click on the install.bat file but it ends with an error...
    I also have not located any driver similar in name (at least) with the replacement one... (I guess it should work with the eHome Infrared Transceiver device.. windows did not recognized the driver, anyway...)
    Also, if anyone can help... I have a sever problem with my latest installation of MediaPortall.. related to Hauppauge... I have not yet achieved any success while trying to correct this problem with MyTV 0.2.
    But TVServer did worked well.. then I lost IR external control (no blaster function). The default BlasterServer uses the old MyBlaster (I guess), but when I try to configure MyBlaster, all buttons are gray... (don't know why)... So I saw the Replacement plugin equivalent for TVServer (I guess)... It does not have any IR direct training, anyway.. How can I (a) make MyBlaster work or (b) use the TVExtChannelChanger to blast my set top box same way the MCE Replacement Plugin??

I would apreciate any (I mean ANY) help. Thank's a lot.

Regards,
    ricbal

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey ricbal,

It could be that your hardware is not in the list of devices for when the replacement driver installs. Try manually installing it as per the instructions in the plugin documentation. If that doesn't work then I'd need to get some more information from you about the specifics of your IR device (Guid's and things like that).

As for the TV Server channel changing. Try this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv3_mce_blaster_plugin_test_version-t15809.html

It's like TV3ExtChannelChanger but with IR blasting as well. Just know that this plugin and the MCE Replacement plugin won't co-exist on the same machine at the same time. A solution for this is not far off and I will release a test copy for people to try in the coming days.

Good luck,

logictester

Portal Member
    December 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    hi all
    where can i find the folder where ir commands are stored in vista? in xp it was in all users/app data but i can't seem to find it in vista
    please help
    thanks a lot

Nevermind - found it - C:\Program Data

GSteele

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Hey ricbal,

Just know that this plugin and the MCE Replacement plugin won't co-exist on the same machine at the same time. A solution for this is not far off and I will release a test copy for people to try in the coming days.

Good luck,

So does this mean we should ignore the MCE Replacement PLugin if we have Vista? The plugin page is actually pointing at this driver as the Vista combo solution.

So do we use your Drive on it's own? or a Combination of Vista Driver & MCE Plugin?

Thanks for all the hard work of all the developers. Great Job!

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom