Windows Vista MCE Replacement Driver (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Greg,

Here's the situation:

I think you might be confused about the difference between the MCE Replacement Plugin (which is the plugin for MediaPortal) and the MCE Replacement Driver which is a device driver for Windows. I probably should have called the plugin something else, but at the start it was only intended to support the MCE Replacement Driver, so MCE Replacement Plugin seemed like a good name. Now, it doesn't do the plugin justice.

The plugins (MCE Replacement Plugin & TV3 MCE Blaster) do not work with Vista's default driver due to a change Microsoft made between XP and Vista. So if you use Windows Vista you need to install the Vista MCE Replacement Driver from the start of this thread.

Aside from that, the MCE Replacement Plugin and the TV3 MCE Blaster plugin won't work together at the same time due to a limitation of the way the driver works. That's what I'm referring to in the quote above. This is not because of Vista, this is the same on XP.

I have a solution to this problem (a suite of applications and plugins) of which I will make a beta release available in the coming days.

Hope that helps,

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Greg,

If you are running Vista, you will need to install the Vista replacement driver for MCE first then install the plugin for your (SVN or non-SVN) then configure the plugin. It should then work.

What I found was when I configured the plugin and learnt my IR codes. I could click on the test button within the MCE replacment plugin and it would then change channels. But when I finished configuring MP, I found that channel changing didnt work but the logs would say that "blast successful" (or is it "blasting"). You may have this same issue or you may not. But let us know how you go with your testing mate I am sure we would be very interested in finding out how you went with it.

Cheers

Andy

Hey ricbal,

Just know that this plugin and the MCE Replacement plugin won't co-exist on the same machine at the same time. A solution for this is not far off and I will release a test copy for people to try in the coming days.

Good luck,

So does this mean we should ignore the MCE Replacement PLugin if we have Vista? The plugin page is actually pointing at this driver as the Vista combo solution.

So do we use your Drive on it's own? or a Combination of Vista Driver & MCE Plugin?

Thanks for all the hard work of all the developers. Great Job!

Greg

logictester

Portal Member
    December 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I've installed the vista driver and the plugin on vista x86 and all works fine - both in test and on the tv - maybe you should try playing with the blasting speed configuration?

Hey ricbal,

Just know that this plugin and the MCE Replacement plugin won't co-exist on the same machine at the same time. A solution for this is not far off and I will release a test copy for people to try in the coming days.

Good luck,

So does this mean we should ignore the MCE Replacement PLugin if we have Vista? The plugin page is actually pointing at this driver as the Vista combo solution.

So do we use your Drive on it's own? or a Combination of Vista Driver & MCE Plugin?

Thanks for all the hard work of all the developers. Great Job!

Greg
    [/QUOTE]

eloo

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Vista Replacement driver and MCE keyboard

Does anyone know if this replacement driver works with the MS MCE keyboard?
    It didnt for XP, but who knows, a lot of good things has happened in Vista.

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Eloo, sorry dude according to Aaron no it doesnt... But he is working on it for a furture release...

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    That's right. Unfortunately it doesn't... Also, unfortunately, I don't have one to test with. So my development in that area is a little hamstrung at the moment.

Until I get back into full-time work I'm afraid I can't justify buying gadgets I don't need :(

If I get my hands on one I will try to get it working, in the meantime I can only make guesses at how to get it going...

I'll definitely make an announcement if I get it to work.

Cheers,

eloo

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    MCE keyboard

How much does it cost down under? If a couple of us made a donation to you (to buy the keyboard), would you be interested?
    I would really like to support you Aaron, you a doing tons of good things for the community in a very professional way. Would anyone tip in as well?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi eloo,

I really appreciate the sentiment. I would love for some of you guys to pitch in and get me an MCE keyboard to develop the plugin for. You know I'd try my best to get it working, but I can't make any promises of course.

They cost between $60 and $80 Australian dollars depending on where you buy it.

I've bought from these guys before:
    http://www.umart.net/au/

They have it for $62 AUD.
    http://umart.net/au/product_info.ph...7521388f1516326c74fcec75f2&products_id=102782

I'll leave it up to you guys, if you want to make a donation I have a PayPal account and I'm registered on SourceForge.

Even if nothing comes of it I will try to get my hands on an MCE keyboard one day and see what I can do.

Thanks guys.

eloo

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Link to paypal

Hi Aaron,

Please supply your paypal name, and I'll make a donation - I'll encourage others to do the same.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks eloo,

I've sent you a private message with my PayPal details.

Thanks again,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom