WMC Remote Will Not Open Anything (Recordings, TV Guide, ETC) When Minimised (1 Viewer)

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I start with MP1 minimised on my HTPC. With version 1.12.0 I can pick up my remote and press Recordings, Live TV, Guide etc and it bursts into action and works great.

If i update to any version higher (no more WMC, just generic HUD) it wont launch anything from remote, it does nothing. If I grab mouse and launch MP the remote works as it should.

Any ideas?

Stéphane Lenclud

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 29, 2013
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Welcome to our forum Paul.
    Could you describe your issue further? Please provide screenshots if possible.
    What do you mean by minimized? If it is indeed minimized to the task bar what kind on result did you get in 1.12? Would it get maximized?
    Did you try pushing the green button?

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    I'll have to do a youtube video to show exactly what I mean.

I have MP to automatically start on boot but minimise ready for use and any scheduled TV recordings will work.

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    One thing to keep in mind is that the remote is interpreted by Windows. When MP is minimized it means that it is not having the focus and therefore remote key pressing will have no effect - it then does indeed nothing - which is, however, the correct behavior. If you would like to use MP you need to give it the focus first.

Stéphane Lenclud

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 29, 2013
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    When MP is minimized ... remote key pressing will have no effect
    Some keys are still processed when MP is in the background. Things like play/pause and track scan if I recall well. That's a feature intended to conveniently skip music tracks when MP is in the background. It can be customized from the XML file for action mapping.

I have MP to automatically start on boot but minimise ready for use and any scheduled TV recordings will work.
    You don't need the MP client to run for recordings to take place. The TV server will take care of that.

Is your problem that in previous releases using the remote would maximize MP?
    If that's the case it was a bug not a feature :)
    Try using MP Tray and your Green Start Button to bring MP to the foreground.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    Hi,

Although I understand what you mean, why does it work perfectly at the moment? My PC boots up and MP loads and minimises to tray ready for use.

As soon as the WMC remotes were removed and replaced with generic it stops working.

Wish there was a way to have the new version of MP as this version will get old (although it all works great at the moment).

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Some keys are still processed when MP is in the background. Things like play/pause and track scan if I recall well.
    Right - that's a Windows feature. Functionality applies to any player.

H
    As soon as the WMC remotes were removed and replaced with generic it stops working.
    The reason is a MP software change in treating remotes. It now uses HID abstract layer instead of interpreting it directly.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    The green button to open MP is no good for girls! My remote has Recordings, Guide, Live TV etc so easy to press them buttons and brings you to where it should.

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Well, if girls are the problem :whistle:, then I think you are kind of "abusing" the system. MP is mainly designed to run as HTPC being the front application rather than as a multi-purpose machine. A couple of plugins exist to allow you launching other applications from within MP.

We might give you better recommendations if you described your needs in more detail.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    I think I'll do a video then you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

The way it's working for me seems normal, MP is sat in the tray ready for action. On Windows desktop - If I press guide on my remote the guide comes up, if I press Live TV it plays live TV, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    N Migrating from WMC Newcomers Forum 43
    T [solved] Coming from WMC and completely lost General 6
    P WMC on Windows 7 migrating to Media Portal on Windows 10 Newcomers Forum 5
    1 [Pending] Feature Request: TV-Recording - more intelligence - like WMC please Feature Requests 9
    D [fixed] Image browser crashing in Folder View (WMC skin) 2.2 Archive 10
    P WMC Skin full screen/EPG Skins and Design 3
    B [MP2-744] WMC home content focus improvements Archive 55
    D PS3 Bluetooth Remote Remotes 1
    henrysinn Remote - W10 Gyro by Pepper Jobs General 8
    G Remote control suggestions? MediaPortal 1 Talk 16
    bigboss97 Does anyone has a SoundGraph imon remote file for MP2 to share? General 0
    F MCE Remote has no focus General 6
    TLD Can not watch tv from remote clients Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 19
    R Problems accessing MySQL database remotely MediaPortal 1 Talk 0
    D Full fuctional htpc - Silverstone Case - Digital Devices Cine S2 - SSD - IR Remote For Sale 1
    N Play a TV recording needs a double selection - twice ok on remote Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 2
    emphatic Allow remote control mapping of all plugins Improvement Suggestions 0
    S Remote button to change audio and subtitle on / off General 10
    S Problem with Remote Control One-for-all Streamer Newcomers Forum 6
    brena MCE Remote Disable Volume Mapping Input / Output interfaces 0
    T How to add missing buttons IR Server Suite (IRSS) 0
    P MP2 TV Server crashes when starting - throws error remoting exception General 2
    R Problem with MP1 and WifiRemote Skins and Plugins Installer (MPEI) 8
    A FB funktioniert plötzlich nicht mehr korrekt Allgemeines Supportforum 0
    A Let TV Server sleep whilst remote client active General Support 0