WMC Remote Will Not Open Anything (Recordings, TV Guide, ETC) When Minimised (1 Viewer)

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I start with MP1 minimised on my HTPC. With version 1.12.0 I can pick up my remote and press Recordings, Live TV, Guide etc and it bursts into action and works great.

If i update to any version higher (no more WMC, just generic HUD) it wont launch anything from remote, it does nothing. If I grab mouse and launch MP the remote works as it should.

Any ideas?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Welcome to our forum Paul.
    Could you describe your issue further? Please provide screenshots if possible.
    What do you mean by minimized? If it is indeed minimized to the task bar what kind on result did you get in 1.12? Would it get maximized?
    Did you try pushing the green button?

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    Home Country
    I'll have to do a youtube video to show exactly what I mean.

I have MP to automatically start on boot but minimise ready for use and any scheduled TV recordings will work.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One thing to keep in mind is that the remote is interpreted by Windows. When MP is minimized it means that it is not having the focus and therefore remote key pressing will have no effect - it then does indeed nothing - which is, however, the correct behavior. If you would like to use MP you need to give it the focus first.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When MP is minimized ... remote key pressing will have no effect
    Some keys are still processed when MP is in the background. Things like play/pause and track scan if I recall well. That's a feature intended to conveniently skip music tracks when MP is in the background. It can be customized from the XML file for action mapping.

I have MP to automatically start on boot but minimise ready for use and any scheduled TV recordings will work.
    You don't need the MP client to run for recordings to take place. The TV server will take care of that.

Is your problem that in previous releases using the remote would maximize MP?
    If that's the case it was a bug not a feature :)
    Try using MP Tray and your Green Start Button to bring MP to the foreground.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi,

Although I understand what you mean, why does it work perfectly at the moment? My PC boots up and MP loads and minimises to tray ready for use.

As soon as the WMC remotes were removed and replaced with generic it stops working.

Wish there was a way to have the new version of MP as this version will get old (although it all works great at the moment).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Some keys are still processed when MP is in the background. Things like play/pause and track scan if I recall well.
    Right - that's a Windows feature. Functionality applies to any player.

H
    As soon as the WMC remotes were removed and replaced with generic it stops working.
    The reason is a MP software change in treating remotes. It now uses HID abstract layer instead of interpreting it directly.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    Home Country
    The green button to open MP is no good for girls! My remote has Recordings, Guide, Live TV etc so easy to press them buttons and brings you to where it should.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, if girls are the problem :whistle:, then I think you are kind of "abusing" the system. MP is mainly designed to run as HTPC being the front application rather than as a multi-purpose machine. A couple of plugins exist to allow you launching other applications from within MP.

We might give you better recommendations if you described your needs in more detail.

Paul_G

April 14, 2016
    Home Country
    I think I'll do a video then you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

The way it's working for me seems normal, MP is sat in the tray ready for action. On Windows desktop - If I press guide on my remote the guide comes up, if I press Live TV it plays live TV, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom