[fixed] Wrong OS detected (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellegj

Portal Pro
May 7, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK, i guess i will get some crap for this post :)
However, since it detects the OS incorrectly, my opinion is that it should not be flagged as "No bug", since to me it looks like some kind of bug when it dont detect the correct OS version.
If you're not going to change the code is ok for me, but still, it is a piece of code that dont work 100% as it is supposed to.

knas

Portal Member
July 6, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have the exact same problem with one of my servers.

chemelli: exactcly what regisry key are you checking for the current version?
Can we do a workaround by temporary changing that registry key during MP installation?

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If it is the key I think (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductType) you should NOT change it. By doing so you'll most likely force a demote of the server and unless you have several domain controllers in your domain you'll loose all accounts etc. In fact, change the key from LanmanNT to ServerNT is a way to force a demotion of a server when the normal demotion fails.

It would be nice if chemelli could update the logic to reflect both product types for Windows 2003 (ProductType: Core Services) but I understand that changes (especially those to support an unsupported OS...) should be rare and well motivated during the RC phase.

knas

Portal Member
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I wasn't planning to demote the server or screw with that specific key, as I don't beleive that's the key that the installer verifies against. (shouldn't be any problem changing that key either, as long as you don't reboot or restart any core services)

I think that the installer is checking a completely different key, as the error message shows the (some) product number.
    The specific product number that the message displays doesn't seem to exist in the registry at all, that's why I was asking what key the installer uses to identify the OS.

I we knew exactly what registry key that the installer verifies against, my thought was that this key could be changed temporary as the installer verifies and then restore the original key value directly after the verification. This could serve as a workaround while waiting for the next (fixed) release.

Just a thought...

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Guys, I don't check for a regkey, but I call a API from the operating system that will return a value I check against.

Simone

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If you want to and have use for it I'll be more than happy to collect the return values of the API on different platforms. I work at a company with both hosting and development and have access to live systems with most of Microsofts OS in different setups.

knas

Portal Member
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Guys, I don't check for a regkey, but I call a API from the operating system that will return a value I check against.
    Simone

Could you specify what api-call you are using? There is obviously some bug in it as it reports the wrong OS/Version.
    :confused:

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Are you all trying to install MP on a Domain Controller ? :confused:

Simone

knas

Portal Member
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are you all trying to install MP on a Domain Controller ? :confused:

Simone

I want to install the MP TV-Server on a Win 2003 server, yes.
    MP 1.0.2 are installing just fine (only a warning dialog), but 1.0.2 has so many 'TV bugs' that should be fixed in MP 1.1, thats why I want to upgrade.

I think that the warning dialog of an unsupported OS is enough, I think that you should let the installation continue.
    From what I have seen, there seems to be many people that want to use their already existing Windows Servers as MediaPortal backends. After all, the "TV-Server" is a server function, right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom