x264 accelleration (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I got KMplayer working together with the MPC codec. I found out that if I use a renderer that is other than "overlay mixer" the hardware acceleration doesn't work. (CPUusage ~28-35%) If I use the mpc-codec and use overlay mixer than I get a CPUusage ~1-2% (in KMPlayer ofcourse).

Is it posible to force MP to use the MPC codec AND the Overlay Mixer???

btw. to get the MPC codec to run in MP or KMPlayer at all you need to download the codec here (MPCVideoDec)
register it manually by: START > RUN > "regsvr32 C:\CodecPath\MPCVideoDec.ax"

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MP doesnt support HW acceleration when subtitles are rendered (excluding DVD or DVB subtitles).

Tourettes,

You responded to my question regarding auto-loading VSFilter on irc. Do you know of a method to dynamically load VSFilter? As in only load it if subtitles are enabled? I'd say 20-25% of my files require subtitles, but these files don't need DXVA whereas some of my non subtitle material does. Trying to figure out if there's a way to display subtitles and still have DXVA.

Weird thing after setting Haali splitter to not load VSfilter by default, MPC h264 decoder was doing DXVA, but I couldn't get DXVA working in MPC itself!

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    About dynamically load VSFilter - it works for me. Dont use MP postrpocesing. Install Haali media splitter, enable autoload VSfilter and in VsFilter enable always load - or use my tool - it will install filters and auto configure them automaticly.

Look here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/offtopic-57/stand-alone-filters-htpc-44614/

I don't use postprocessing, and it doesn't work for me. With VSFilter auto loaded via Haali Media Splitter, I get 50-60% CPU, and stuttering on 1080p material. With VSFilter not auto loaded, I get 10-20%.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    To summarize:
    - Hardware acceleration BREAKS when there is a filter between the video decoder and the video renderer.
    - Hardware acceleration BREAKS when the video encoding does not conform to the DXVA standards supported by the video driver (and video decoder), e.g. encoding done in High@L5.1 profile which has no benefit to video quality whatsoever!
    - Hardware acceleration DOES NOT BREAK with subtitles in the MKV container, unless you are loading DirectVobSub (aka VsFilter) in the filter chain.

That last line, you mean that if the file contains a subtitle but VSFilter isn't loaded, DXVA works. But the only way to display the subtitle is to load VSFilter right? I tried cycling through subtitles with VSfilter not loaded and it does not work for me.

CoreAVC seems to play everything I throw at it without problems, whereas Cyberlink PowerDVD x264 decoder won't play some of my stuff. MPC decoder seems to play everything but stutters on one of my test 1080p files. The reason why I'm trying to test other decoders is when using CoreAVC at 1080p/24Hz, the audio begins to unsync from the video. 1080p/60Hz is fine though.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    To summarize:
    - Hardware acceleration BREAKS when there is a filter between the video decoder and the video renderer.
    - Hardware acceleration BREAKS when the video encoding does not conform to the DXVA standards supported by the video driver (and video decoder), e.g. encoding done in High@L5.1 profile which has no benefit to video quality whatsoever!
    - Hardware acceleration DOES NOT BREAK with subtitles in the MKV container, unless you are loading DirectVobSub (aka VsFilter) in the filter chain.

That last line, you mean that if the file contains a subtitle but VSFilter isn't loaded, DXVA works. But the only way to display the subtitle is to load VSFilter right? I tried cycling through subtitles with VSfilter not loaded and it does not work for me.
    Yes if the MKV contains a subtitle then DXVA can still work as long as you don't load DirectVobSub (VSFilter). However, there is a strange bug for some SRT/UTF-8 subtitles that generates the pop-up error message when DirectVobSub (VSFilter) isn't loaded (for which I provided a patch in the post linked previously). And yes, currently the only way to get subtitles working is to load DirectVobSub (VSFilter), but then you break your hardware acceleration and revert back to pure software decoding.

I am looking into implementing an EVR custom presenter to allow for subtitles without the need to load DirectVobSub. No idea when I'll have something ready though as I've only just started.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am looking into implementing an EVR custom presenter to allow for subtitles without the need to load DirectVobSub. No idea when I'll have something ready though as I've only just started.

That'd be great except I'm on XP :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom