XMLTV file not importing to database automatically (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, just stumbled upon this thread whilst trying to implement xmltv EPG on my HTPC, and update docs at the same time!

The wiki currently doesn't seem to mention the need to have the grabber write the xmltv file to a temporary location, and then automate a move to the xmltv folder, for MediaPortal TV Server to import from.

Does the wiki need changing to reflect this step, or is this forum thread now out of date as this 'grab to one location then move' step is no longer required?

thanks

lisa

Last edited:

andy_p

Portal Member
    July 10, 2008
    London
    Home Country
    Funnily enough, I was looking at my setup a few days ago. It appears I schedule a batch file to run the grabber to a temporary file, then rename it at the end so the new file appears in an atomic operation. I don't believe any other method (like getting it to wait) was implemented, so I believe the 'rename at the end' is still necessary. It's been working like that without fuss for the last 5 months, at least.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello, just stumbled upon this thread whilst trying to implement xmltv EPG on my HTPC, and update docs at the same time!

The wiki currently doesn't seem to mention the need to have the grabber write the xmltv file to a temporary location, and then automate a move to the xmltv folder, for MediaPortal TV Server to import from.

Does the wiki need changing to reflect this step, or is this forum thread now out of date as this 'grab to one location then move' step is no longer required?

thanks

lisa

This doesn't seem to be an issue if you use mc2xml or have the Webepg plugin write the a tvguide.xml directly to the folder that TV server is importing from, but it is a problem if you use WebGrab++. I have used all three and only had this issue with WebGrab++.

Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks both. I am using XMLTV GUI and it seems to be working okay, but I am just testing it on one channel at the moment. I can see that if I am getting 14 days of listings for multiple channels that MediaPortal TV server may possibly start trying to import the new tvguide.xml file before it has finished writing.

So, it seems, that for some users, an automated move or rename at the end of the grab may be necessary.

Funnily enough, I was looking at my setup a few days ago. It appears I schedule a batch file to run the grabber to a temporary file, then rename it at the end so the new file appears in an atomic operation. I don't believe any other method (like getting it to wait) was implemented, so I believe the 'rename at the end' is still necessary. It's been working like that without fuss for the last 5 months, at least.

andy_p do you do that all in one scheduled task? Would you mind sharing the details of the commands you use inside the batch file, as I could add a few different options to the wiki. Thanks!

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    a few comments on xmltv, this is from a US point of view.

1. Like TLD, I've use the straight command line option "mc2xml.exe -o tvguide.xml" without a problem. I've also used a simple batch file to run "mc2xml -c us -g ZIPCODE" and a "copy xmltv.xml tvguide.xml" to generate the tvguide.xml. Both seem to work fine this may be a SW race condition. I've also used "EPG Collector" to grab US OTA EPG info directly from the TV stations and write tvguide.xml without a problem. With something like WebEPG that needs to download multiple web page with listings and write to tvguide.xml, this may be more important.

2. A common complaint with xmltv is the manual import works, the task that runs mc2xml or some other utility runs correctly and generates a new tvguide.xml file, but the auto import of new EPG info does not work. To get xmltv to auto import the tvguide.xml you need to restart the TV server using TV Server Config > Manual to "stop" and "start" the server. Doing a reboot also works. It looks like this is true for the other TV Server plugins, any time I enable/disable/reconfigure xmltv, WebEPG, PowerScheduler, etc, I always restart the TV Server.

3. At various times I've had problems getting vista scheduled task running reliably. I can get it to work but I need to google for a few examples. If you are using PowerScheduler or PowerScheduler++, you can also use the "EPG" page to schedule waking your server and running a simple batch file. I have some setup info for this option in my US xmltv setup wiki page. see the following,

US mc2xml and xmltv
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/User:rond/US_EPG_Setup_using_XmlTv_and_mc2xml

US WebEPG
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/User:rond/US_EPG_setup_using_WebEPG_and_imdb.com

Last edited:

maddineytsch

December 29, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

i have the same issue with automatic import:
    The tvguide.xml is created via Webgrab+ in a temporary folder (every morning with windows scheduler). After finishing the task the tvguide.xml will be copied (again with windows scheduler) into the folder (shared networkfolder with read- and write-access) the xmltv-plugin is watching for. The timestamp changes every time ofc...

The manual import works perfectly - the automatic import never starts. :(
    Complete log and xmltv_config-screenshot is added.

What I tried alrdy: Restart TV-Service, Restart PC, Channel-Mapping is done --> The automatic import still never starts.

Could u give me some help to fix this issue? Ive no clue why it isnt working...

Thanks a lot...
    MH

Attachments

• xmltv_config.jpg
      xmltv_config.jpg
      134.4 KB

maddineytsch

December 29, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well... copying the tvguide.xml into a local folder (PC where the TV-Server runs) fixed the issue. Thank you very much! Didnt expect that working...:)

I would suggest to add some .additional information to the xmltv-FAQ/Help/Manual, expeccially the neccessity to copy/move/rename the file from a temporary folder to the folder the plugin is watching.for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom