[Bug] XVID AVI Stuttering 1080p/50hz after about 20/25 minutes (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just tested a 25 fps AVI (XVID) on 1080 resolution and I cannot reproduce the issue with GT220.

- No stuttering at any point, stats graph was nice for whole playback time
    - No dropped frames

About the issue, I'm sure current EVR presenter timing values aren't working for all HW, but unfortunately it is just a compromise that works for the most of people. It would require complete rewrite of the scheduling code to be able to fix it properly (that is being done for MP2, also dropping all XP / Vista requirements so we have few extra APIs from Windows 7 as well to help the playback).

If someone wants to try to improve the MP1 playback, I'm all for it (I just dont have time to do it also it works for my personal use :)). I can even review the changes and test it as well. Of course it wont be possible for 1.1.0, but after that... please be avare that if someone gets the scheduling code to work nicely on few PCs, it will be most likely broken on few.

Also in one year it might be possible for someone else to backport the MP2 scheduling for MP1 (but I see no point in it :)). In any case happy debugging with the beast, as said earlier I have lost the battle with this beast, especially as the new winds from MP2's video rendering smell so fresh...

Attachments

• avi_25_fps.png
      avi_25_fps.png
      380.4 KB

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    As said earlier I have lost the battle with this beast, especially as the new winds from MP2's video rendering smell so fresh...

Nah you didn't loose anything. You and the team made a great work and i would like to thank all the devs for their effort.

End result is great. Maybe it is not perfect for everyone but with so many variables floating around (codecs/hardware/different movie containers and the list can go on with no end) MP handles the majority of things great.

Sure there is room for improvement but i tend to believe that patience is a virtue.

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: XVID AVI Stuttering 1080p/50hz after about 20/25 minutes

tourettes

Do you have any clue why this tweak with FFDShow and doubling the framerate with hardware deinterlacing does the trick that you have no more stutter?

Will the gui of Mediaportal 2 always be smooth (like 50/60 fps) even if you play a 25 fps-movie?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: XVID AVI Stuttering 1080p/50hz after about 20/25 minutes

Will the gui of Mediaportal 2 always be smooth (like 50/60 fps) even if you play a 25 fps-movie?
    Playing a 25 FPS video on a monitor which uses 60 HZ can not be smooth.
    Thats the whole point of the refresh rate changer feature. To have a RR which matches the content to eliminate the stuttering.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Do you have any clue why this tweak with FFDShow and doubling the framerate with hardware deinterlacing does the trick that you have no more stutter?

1:2 material is harder to sync since you have possibility to present frame on wrong v-sync.

Not sure yet, but it might be possible to force the EVR presenter to display every single frame twice for the 1:2 matching material (of course this will cause 2x workload for the GPU / CPU so it itself would cause performance issues for video playback). MP2 will have time based rendering / animation speed so GUI will be always as fast (only the animation would be having 50% less frames) where as MP1 is frame rate based.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As most users have ATI graphics, still believe this is some sort of incompatibility with hardware, like tourettes, I'm a Nvidia user, but the reasoning behind that is my mobo main chipset is also Nvidia, even though the CPU is AMD, besides a few years ago with old AMD cpu driver, I have never had stuttering, and at the time the AMD dualcore optimizer cured that (believe it is now part of driver so unnecessary).

This is a real stumbling block trying to diagnose why some people have the issue :(

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: XVID AVI Stuttering 1080p/50hz after about 20/25 minutes

MP2 will have time based rendering / animation speed so GUI will be always as fast (only the animation would be having 50% less frames) where as MP1 is frame rate based.

Would it be very difficult to change the rendering of the MP1 gui to time based rendering?

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    As most users have ATI graphics, still believe this is some sort of incompatibility with hardware, like tourettes, I'm a Nvidia user, but the reasoning behind that is my mobo main chipset is also Nvidia, even though the CPU is AMD, besides a few years ago with old AMD cpu driver, I have never had stuttering, and at the time the AMD dualcore optimizer cured that (believe it is now part of driver so unnecessary).

This is a real stumbling block trying to diagnose why some people have the issue :(

I know at least two people with nvidia that have the problem... So no clue about hardware configurations that cause it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

MP2 will have time based rendering / animation speed so GUI will be always as fast (only the animation would be having 50% less frames) where as MP1 is frame rate based.

Would it be very difficult to change the rendering of the MP1 gui to time based rendering?

Yes.

cecet23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Perugia
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

I have nvidia gt220, nvidia chipset (nforce 730), AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e and I have the same problem too...some stuterring on xvid/avi every 7-8 minutes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom