[solved] Yellow Subtitle button on remote - Initial press works, subsequent presses don't (1 Viewer)

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Perth - Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

This started for me after the 1.15.0 upgrade. When you press the yellow button whilst watching TV or video, you get the next toggle setting for subtitles, but subsequent presses of the button do nothing. You can get around this by pressing some other button in between (Such as volume up or down), then the next time you press the yellow button, it will toggle to the next subtitle setting. But you have to keep on with this cycle to keep it toggling.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This started for me after the 1.15.0 upgrade.
    Somehow I doubt the upgrade caused this.

Your specs mention you are using a generic Inteset remote and receiver. Good choice, in my experience their products are high quality.
    What you are describing is a well known issue often caused by corrupt/incomplete IR signal sent from your remote that's leaving the receiver in a funny state.
    Try teaching again that button's IR signal to your generic remote from a genuine MCE remote, that should fix it. Do try teaching multiple times if it still does not work.
    Try teaching with the shortest press, or try teaching with a longer press or with a very long press and see if one of those fixes it.

Last edited:

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks @Stéphane Lenclud - I concur with your advice to re-train the button on the remote again, which is why I've already done it, many, many times :) And yes, from a genuine Microsoft RC6 Remote (Best thing Microsoft ever made. I've worn all of the silver off of it, but it still works well and I'll never throw it away :)) I will however try again (Once I've actually got MediaPortal working again) and try differing duration presses on the button.

Of course, what may blow this theory out of the window is that (From memory) I'm sure the same behaviour occurs with the yellow button on the MS remote as well.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, so now that MediaPortal is working, thanks to you :) I've just tried about another dozen or so times to re-train the yellow button on my Inteset remote from my MS RC6 remote. I've tried pressing the RC6 yellow button everything from a millisecond to way past when I know the Inteset is listening and everything in between. The result is the same. Inteset button will only keep toggling with presses of other button in between pressing the yellow button.

Also, my memory failed me with regard to the RC6, yellow button works/toggles perfectly.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @Stéphane Lenclud
    At some stage, (Around 1.15.0 I thought?) didn't the programming/setup/configuration for remotes change with regard to the Microsoft MCE Remotes? I just remember that MP Config used to mention the Microsoft MCE remote specifically, then the next thing I know, it had vanished and was replaced with the generic HID section. I'm sure this problem started around that time, which, as I said, I thought was around the time of the 1.15.0. update.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks to you
    It was a team effort.

Also, my memory failed me with regard to the RC6, yellow button works/toggles perfectly.
    I'm a bit confused, are you saying it works with the original MCE remote?

If that's the case then it's indeed the issue I suspected and your generic remote is to blame for not being able to learn to IR signal properly.
    I've had similar situations with no access to original remote and I was able to rely on a good old Philips Prestigo SRU 6008.
    That Prestigo remote somehow manages to clean dodgy IR signals. If you have access to a Prestigo try teaching it that IR signal and then teach it back to the remote you want to use.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    LOL, sorry if I confused you. Yes, it works with the original MCE remote.

Don't agree with what you're saying about the Inteset not being able to learn the IR signal properly. Bear in mind that it WAS working previously following previous "Training sessions" :) Granted my knowledge is limited here, but I still feel the issue is caused by something that has changed. Sadly, I don't have access to the Philips model you mentioned. About all I have left is to try and erase the programming for the button completely (I think there is an option to do this on the Inteset?) and try to program it again.

Note that I have three MP systems setup here and they are all using the same Inteset remote. The yellow buttons on all of them were at one time working perfectly, then they all changed to this current situation?

I may have a brand new one packed away somewhere as well. I'll track that one down and try programming it and see how I go.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Bear in mind that it WAS working previously following previous "Training sessions"
    Somehow I doubt that, but it could be, since our older and now retired MCE implementation was doing nasty stuff at the device level. There is therefore a remote possibility - no pun intended - that it was somehow working around that issue.

I don't have access to the Philips model you mentioned.
    You could try that trick with other models of generic remotes, Logitech Harmony, whatever you have lying around or some cheap ones from your nearby tech shop. You can always bring it back after solving, or not, your issue.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ahh, ok, I do have a Harmony and a couple of other makes/models. I'll try them.

No shit, they were definitely working previously.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll report back with my success or failure :)

Cheers,
    Steve.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I may have a brand new one packed away somewhere as well. I'll track that one down and try programming it and see how I go.
    The Inteset 422 remote is in fact made by "One-for-All", and so is a JP1 remote. There should be a socket accessible from the battery compartment, and if you have the right cable, you can program the remote using the RMIR application. See this thread for starters:

JP1 Remotes :: View topic - Inteset INT-422: some basic questions to get me going

All of the One-for-All remotes that I own are universal remotes that have many device definitions built-in, including Microsoft MCE. Your Inteset is the same. Was your Inteset supplied with a catalogue of definition code numbers? If it was, see if there is a code for Microsoft MCE. The code number that I have used with some of my One-for-All remotes is 1272 (but there are several others for MCE).

One-for-All remotes have an obscure bug, discussed in this thread:

MCE RC6 IR receivers shortcomings

Your problem description does not correspond directly to the problem scenario discussed in that thread, but your problem looks as though it could be related to toggle flags. I have found only one make of universal remote that generates the correct toggle flags, and that is the Harmony range (I have a Harmony 650 in my collection of remotes).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom