Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested (1 Viewer)

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was looking at the AD10 and other Zotacs and the Foxconn, but just saw the MSI Windbox DC100 on Amazon with a Windows 7 HP license for £259.99, seemed like a deal, and its the newer E-450, so have one on order!

MSI DC100-009EU WindBox PC (AMD Brazos Dual Core E-450, 1.65GHz, 2GB DDR3, 320GB SATA, AMD Radeon HD 6320 Discrete Class Graphics, Wireless, Windows 7 Home Premium): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

With the Zbox at around £200 with no windows license or RAM/HD and the older E-350, this seemed like a good deal.

Review will be posted in a couple of weeks once I get internet at home (just moved) and sort it all out :)

MSI Wind Box DC100 Specs

Seems a nice little box, ready to go!

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    Yes, that looks good. Hopefully the motherboard supports wake from sleep over usb/ir. The Zotac can do wake over usb but not WOL.
    The E-450 is a marginal improvement on both GPU and CPU. The E-350 has proven capable enough for all of my HD content so far, so i assume the E-450 can only be better.
    Have you given up on 4gb and SSD?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I may add 4GB and a SSD at a later point, the included 2GB and Hard Drive will do for now. I mainly bought it as with Windows included its a very good deal

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested

why do they have to stand up and not only that, but also tilted? that brings so many disturbance in the living room
    for me a major design flaw.

besides that, the speccs look really nice

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Re: AW: Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested

why do they have to stand up and not only that, but also tilted? that brings so many disturbance in the living room
    for me a major design flaw.

besides that, the speccs look really nice

I haven't received it yet, but i'm pretty sure you can take it off the stand and lay it flat

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    An update - I cannot recommend the WindBox based on one thing - noise! Mine has a poor fan which is noisy, and the case amplifies the noise

I will however keep the PC, and am just going to modify it with a nice big passive heatsink. This will however mean the heatsink will stick out of the case! :)
    But nobody can see it behind the TV.

Other than the poor fan, the machine is great, much faster than I imagined

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    An update - I cannot recommend the WindBox based on one thing - noise! Mine has a poor fan which is noisy, and the case amplifies the noise

That really pisses me off, a really decent fan would be quiet, why skimp on that bit :mad:

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Yes I was extremely pissed off last night! At first I told myself it was just running noisily as windows was setting itself up and indexing... but then it stayed noisy. An extra few pence on a decent fan would have made a huge difference. Maybe its just my machine, who knows!

The case makes the sound worse as it must have been designed by someone in marketing, so the airflow sucks.
    I don't think I can find a nice quiet fan that will fit inside the case, so i'm going with this silly heatsink sticking out the case idea! :D I read on another forum that the older model of this PC could use Northbridge heatsinks as the screw holes were in the same place, so fingers crossed that this newer model is the same.

I guess as I always build my own PCs with expensive fans, I forgot how crap off the shelf items could be. But still, it was a bargain at the price, and ill keep it and modify it a bit :)

I'll try and post some more thoughts once MP is installed on it and i can comment on video playback and UI speed.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have an ION2 Zotac... I'm not happy with the noise of the fan (even running latest BIOS which quietens it down) - Its still quite noisy (maybe this is the best they could do with the noise??)

Plus the bracket/mount onto the back of the TV is poor - I'm hoping the newer ones have a better bracket!

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom