IR Server Suite - Version 1.4.2 Test Build 3158/3281 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkms

Portal Member
September 20, 2007
Denver, CO
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've just put together my first HTPC and am currently trying to get everything to not only work, but to work smoothly.

I'm running MediaPortal on MCE 2005 SP2 in an Antec Fusion V2. When it came to the remote I thought it'd be great if I could re-use my Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote and for that purpose downloaded and installed IR Server Suite.

Unfortunately, things haven't been working so well. Not at all, actually. I keep getting "Command Not Defined" on the display whenever I press a button on the remote and trying Learn in Translator doesn't work either. Extensive googling hasn't helped either.

Being new to this, I'm probably missing something here.

My main question is: Is it possible to use the Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote with IR Server Suite? Or rather, with MediaPortal?

If so, how would one go about? Is there something you need to install in addition to what was installed with the IR Server Suite installation? I have installed the drivers for the Antec Fusion, which are supposed to make the IR receiver at least MCE remote compatible. Do I need anything else? (I, perhaps naively, thought that you could just click a button in front of the IR receiver and have IR Server Suite record the specific signal and then assign it to a command. Basically, that IR was IR and that was it.)

If it's not possible to use the 360 remote, what's a good remote? The MCE remote? I've read that it can cause conflicts with the Xbox 360, anyone with experience?

Finally, are there any better alternatives? Does anyone have a good remote to recommend for use with MediaPortal (and perhaps even Media Center if I should decide to go that route)?

I apologize if last part is too off topic, but being completely stuck is very frustrating so I'd really appreciate any help/advice you can give. Thanks.

Well I don't know about your problems with the server suite working but for a remote recommendation I would have to go with a logitech harmony. It controls everything but the kitchen sink. I know its a bit on the steep side as far as price but trust me, it will be the best $100 bucks you will ever spend on a electronic. I personally have 2 Logitech 550s (one for the living room and one for the bedroom) and the girlfriend LOVES it. If you have multiple things hooked up to your tv and receiver you cant go wrong. Everything can change with one button press. For example you can press "Watch TV" and your cable box will turn on, tv turn on, receiver turn on and all go to the correct input. For the bad reviews you read about it the people are either computer illiterate or cant follow directions.
With the IR Server suite you can have the remote launch just about anything and complete just about any task. For example I have a macro for Call of Duty 4. The Macro loads ultramon, changes primary screen, loads up my controller mapping and launches the game. On the remote the lcd screen reads "Play Call Of Duty 4" - very cool stuff!

btw I also use the remote to control my 360 and use the mce blaster that came with the mce remote to control the pc - no issues what so ever.

Now if only my Harmony could go to work for me I would be set!

trx

Portal Member
January 5, 2008
Elk River, MN
Home Country
I just installed an HDHomerun (external networked Dual ATSC tuner) and the IR Server no longer blasts IR signals when trying to change channels on my Dish Network satellite tuner. When I go into the configuration the blaster works using the test button. My channels are still configured as an external set top box. Any suggestions on what to check? Thanks.

Froschkönig

Portal Member
January 20, 2008
Hello Aaron

I am sorry, but I am totally lost with the IR server and I need some advice. I have looked now for days in the forum but I can not find a solution.

My system:
Windows XP SP2
home-brewed IR-receiver (connected to usb)
universal remote (one for all)
MediaPortal single seat
IR server 1.4.0.1

In the past I used your great MSC replacement plugin (1.3.0.1) for months in the following way:
The signal from the remote was detected by girder and the Igor USB Plugin.
Girder sends a window message to mediaportal where I use your plugin in message mode to choose conditions and actions. (this works very well)

The reason why I want to change to the IR Server is, that the condition "TV is running" not works in this setup.

The first thing I have tried was the installation of the MSC replacement plugin 1.4.0.1. But if I want to configure the plugin I get a message like "unable to register MSC buttons" and changing of the mapping does not work. (No matter
what action I am choosing, after restart the action has changed to "Window home")

When I am using the IR server (1.4.0.1) and enable in the input configuration "window messages" I dont get a signal in MediaPortal or the translator (tray launcher says there is no active IR-server). I have tried as target of the message "WM Receiver for IR Server" and also directly "mediaportal"
without success.
The inbuild Igor plugin does not work (where I can config the port?) and the configuration of the Girder plugins leads to a unhandled exception.

So may be I do not have understand the whole concept of the IR server. Is it right that

a) the IR server acts as a general interface between input (messages, girder etc.) and MediaPortal (only MediaPortal?).
b) I only have to enable a input plugin and than a signal will be directed to Mediaportal. In the Mediaportal Plugin the signal can be learned and mapped to an action.
c) It is possible to use the IR Server without a MCE compatible IR receiver (and also without any driver like eHome or Replacement).

I have read your answers in the forum and I love the way you handle this. I do not want to bore you with configuration problems but I would be really happy about advice in which direction I have to go (window messages, Girder, HIP,
stay with MCE Replacement Plugin 1.3.0.1, wait for future releases, ...)
In your announcement for IR Server 1.4.0.2 there is something like send messages. Will this be a solution?

Thank you very much

Roland

neilk

Portal Pro
June 22, 2007
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi Aaron

I just received my MCE remote control and I'm running WIndows XP Pro service pack 2. I have installed and configured the IR suite, it works fine with the remote & MP. I cant seem to get the blasters to work. I successfully learn the IR signals from my LG Plasma TV and Sony Amplifier, when I test the blast the emitter lights up, but nothing happens to the equipment I am trying to control. Please help as I would really like to get the plugin to work.

I have tried with a fresh install of MP 2.3.0 with no SVN to make sure that it's not the SVN causing it...

I am running MP 2.3.0 with SVN-Snapshot: 01-22-2008 05-04h - Revision:17122

Thanks
Neil

trx

Portal Member
January 5, 2008
Elk River, MN
Home Country
Neil,

How close is the MCE emitter to your TV and Sony Amplifier? MCE emitters need to be in very close proximity to your components IR receiver. Use the double sided tape on the emitter to stick it right on your components IR receiver and see if that helps. Of course you have have already done this...

Chad

Pastill

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Same problem here with the emitters.

With the october release all worked well, very well, but releases after that produce signal to weak/corrupt for my TV and reciever to react on.
If I place a mirror just in front of the beans/emitters the TV and reciever will react, but not in other cases.
To have a better placement of the bean on TV I have to cut a hole in the plactic front cover and for the reciever I have to remove the doubble sided tape. Neither of this should be necessary I think.
I mean, it worked very well in october release. Then I could place the bean up to 4 m away and the angel 45* off. Still working.

So how can I get the same result as in october ?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry for the lack of replies on this thread for a while, I've been working really hard on the next two releases of the IR Server Suite.

The next release will be another incremental step, but the release after that will be a total overhaul of the macro system.

To answer a few of your posts (sorry, I'm pressed for time right now, I'll try to post more later):

Everyone having blaster problems: Make sure you updated your install with the patches I posted earlier in this thread.

Froschkönig:

I'll have to do a bit of testing to try and figure out why you're having problems with those components.

I'll have to get back to you.

Cheers,

neilk

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2007
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi TRX

Thanks for the response, but I have tried that (putting emitter right against the IR of my components with sticker peeled off, no change in result. I have also applied the patched earlier in this post. Please let me know if there is any update with the blaster issues.

Thanx

Neil

Neptuni

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 17, 2007
    Linkoping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Macro

Hi Aaron,

Will macro's work in the next release (1.0.4.2), or is it just me having problem?

Another question, is it possible to start an action when Mediaportal loads the HomeScreen, I'm using a combined TV-server/client and and the client are serving in my daughters room. I would like the power to her display to be switched on only when Mediaportal are fully up and running, not when it starting (I a have an 10 sec delay).

Thanks for an superb software

/Mikael

djkms

Portal Member
    September 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    And-81:

Couple of things

1: With the new macro system would it be possible to export the macros as a shortcut - ie double click on the macro in windows and it runs the macro.

2: I just did a fresh install of Vista on my laptop - installed the server suite and whenever I use the remote any button reads as 2 button presses. Press play - play presses twice in mp, press down on the arrow pad and it goes down twice, etc etc. I think this has been discussed before but I cant find the thread. Does this have something to do with my driver, the server suite or my harmony remote?
    :D Edit: Nevermind - I Think its an issue with my remote - I checked the logitech forums and found a solution I hope - I will check it out tonight...

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom