1080i material not deinterlacing under 1.0.1.0 (1 Viewer)

oldyellow

Portal Member
January 5, 2006
I just wanted to chime in also. My MP 1.0.1 is also not deinterlacing 1080i. When I play the files with Media Player Classic outside of MP, the files deinterlace fine and the picture looks great. When I look at the same file from within MP, jagged lines appear, especially on scene cuts. I tried setting the decoder to not deinterlace and pass the interlace flag onto my tv. This works from outside of MP, but causes MP to stutter badly. I have been reduced to watching my favorite shows outside of mediaportal (I guess I could set MP to use an external player). 720p original source plays perfectly in MP.

bellzz

Portal Member
April 18, 2009
I've noticed something. I swear I tried this before...

I believe that even though Mediaportal believes that it wants to use BOB for deinterlace, my ATI chipset automatically takes over and uses what it thinks is best.

In the Catalyst Control Center I disabled automatic deinterlacing and set it to BOB. I get 60fps on 1080i no problem now (which means it is deinterlacing and THEN outputing to TV). In Mediaportal I still have TV set to Best and fallback to Normal.

I also noticed that if I do anything changing the resolution and refresh rate, CCC defaults back automatic de-interlace and it has to be reset.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I couldn't understand how using your CCC had interlace and BOB options when they're normally a part of the video codec. I looked into my NVidia Control Panel and only found a "use inverse-telecine" checkbox. Inside the properties for my video codecs (both Purevideo and PDVD7) I found the deinterlace options along with use Hardware Acceleration. Playing the same .ts 1080i files under Windows Media Player (using my default PDVD7) I get perfect playback. I also dragged the files into Graphedit, let it create the graph and once again, sharp video, no jitter and apparent proper deinterlacing. So there's something in how MP is passing parameters within it's internal player, or interfacing with the codecs that is different than it used to be in MP 1.0.0.0 and different than graphedit by itself. I tried various settings but only saw difference when I unchecked "use Hardware Acceleration" in MP's Filter configuration for PowerDVD. This caused PDVD7 to act more like MP-video-dec in that the CPU increased from 7 to 46%, the jittery frames seemed to go away yet the action-blurr remained. Additionally, the VMR9 frames remained hovering around 30fps under PDVD7 and 24-ish under Purevideo. My experience is I get sharp video when the VRM9 indicates (press <Shift><1>) 60 fps whether progressive or deinterlaced material.

There is something in how MP 1.0.1. changed handling these 1080i streams/files from MP 1.0.0.0 that must be at the core of this issue. I have great hope and interest in this application because its user interface is soooo well integrated, but 1080i is broken... Please help! :)

oldyellow

Portal Member
    January 5, 2006
    My experience fits everything that Andrew H has stated. I also have NVidia, check the control panel, there is no interlace adjustment. I strongly believe (as does Andrew H) that MP 1.0.1 has changed the way video is processed from MP 1.0.0. I have tried various settings to no avail. I am using the MPC MPEG-2 (Gabest) decoder and MP seems to ignore it's deinterlace settings. When I view the same video through Media Player Classic the deinterlacing works fine. I looked at the graph from both scenarios and the only difference is that when MP is playing, an extra MPC Video Decoder and extra ffdshow video decoder box shows up but not connected to anything.

Most of my local channels are broadcast in 1080i, and those recordings (and live tv) are just about unwatchable from within MP. I have been 1080i sourced recorded content outside of mediaportal.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I did do one other test -- I played some files in MyVideo created from MP 0.2.3.0 created in the .dvr-ms format. They are 1080i material and their playback is exactly like the .ts ones of MP 1.0.1 They play jittery from within MP's internal player (with hardware acceleration selected / motion-blurr) yet smooth under Windows Media Player (calling PDVD7). I was thinking whatever is splitting out the .ts may be different than how a .dvr-ms file plays but it seems they both still need deinterlacing, hence their results are the same under 1.0.1.0.

orph

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My two cents, I have the same setup as BellZZ... HD3200, etc... although the bob in CCC is enabled, I too am running into problems. 720p source looks perfect, but 1080i doesn't. I have tried multiple methods and the best solution I could come up with for now is:

mpeg decoder: PowerDVD7
    H.264 decoder: CoreAVC

directshow settings for PowerDVD:
    - Mpeg 2: Bob (not Hardware, oddly enough)
    - H.264: doesn't matter cause Core took over

Core settings: Hardware de-interlacing

CCC settings: video set to 1080i @ 30hz, only allowing for Vector Adaptive de-interlacing.

My theory goes like this: Incoming feed decodes through Core, de-interlacing the footage, goes through mpeg's PowerDVD to re-encode for playback using BOB to interlace, then out the video card thru CCC ... pretty much pass through.

Why this wouldn't work with 1080p @60hz?... I don't know.

Another theory, based on what Andrew said, he stated that it worked well in Mpeg form and not .ts form. Just a theory, but ts allows you to store more data than mpeg.... so like the NTSC's battle between 486 vs 480, I wonder if *ts is adding or shifting an extra field, screwing everything up in the de-interlacing stages.

Nonetheless, would love if this problem could be solved. 1080i Hockey doesn't look good at all. :oops:

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Actually, the .ts format worked fine under MP 1.0.0.0 whether Live-TV or recorded... it's MP 1.0.1.0 or, perhaps more specifically, the SVN beginning on 2/15/09 according to Bellzz.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am also having problems with 1080i HDTV

MP 1.0 Final -> 1080i HDTV PDVD8 H264 Codec is fine
    MP 1.0.2 -> 1080i HDTV PPDVD8 H264 Codec -> stuttering and frame rate is around 21-24 instead of the usual 48-50

It's not because of .ts recording because i was using .ts in both MP 1.0 and MP 1.0.1

My specs are: AMD 4200+ Dual Core / Gigabyte 780G Mobo / Onboard HD3200 / HVR2200 / XP SP3 / PDVD8 Build 2217aU / ATI 8.12

Here's my log - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4JT14XIZ

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    While I appreciate your post, please attach your .zip file... too much hassle to do your code on that site :-(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Could someone post a test .ts clip that can be used to reproduce the issue? 1 minute clip is enough. Some ice hockey (or any othr sports event) would be good as they will have lot of moving objects.

It is possible that some of the video rendering changes that were done for fixing the EVR + ATI + Vista flickering are causing some issues on 1080i (cannot think any other changes that could have introduced such bug).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom