1080i material not deinterlacing under 1.0.1.0 (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Could someone post a test .ts clip that can be used to reproduce the issue? 1 minute clip is enough. Some ice hockey (or any othr sports event) would be good as they will have lot of moving objects.

It is possible that some of the video rendering changes that were done for fixing the EVR + ATI + Vista flickering are causing some issues on 1080i (cannot think any other changes that could have introduced such bug).
    Thank you! I do think there's someting about this... as do many others!

I did notice one tiny thing when using GraphEdit to look at some properties... although it was VMR9 that I love and has been doing a fine job I did notice that when I use ZoomPlayer, or simply drag a .ts file into GraphEdit it chooses the DS-Filter "Video Renderer" instead of "Video Mixing Renderer 9" used by MP. Is it possible MP is sending some initialization strings to the filter (perhaps to assist the ATi issue) which are adversly effecting the NVidia-based folks, or simply the VMR9 filter?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could someone post a test .ts clip that can be used to reproduce the issue? 1 minute clip is enough. Some ice hockey (or any othr sports event) would be good as they will have lot of moving objects.

It is possible that some of the video rendering changes that were done for fixing the EVR + ATI + Vista flickering are causing some issues on 1080i (cannot think any other changes that could have introduced such bug).

Sample .ts recording (32mb)

1080i DVB-T H264 - TV3 News from New Zealand - Recording using fresh install of MP 1.0.2 (XP SP3)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

1080i DVB-T H264 - TV3 News from New Zealand - Recording using fresh install of MP 1.0.2 (XP SP3)

Could you post a screen shot that shows the video issue? Looks like it would work here nicely (no deinterlace issues spotted). (Only juddering, but that is caused by the fact that I have too slow CPU to decode HD content).

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am also having problems with 1080i HDTV

MP 1.0 Final -> 1080i HDTV PDVD8 H264 Codec is fine
    MP 1.0.2 -> 1080i HDTV PPDVD8 H264 Codec -> stuttering and frame rate is around 21-24 instead of the usual 48-50

It's not because of .ts recording because i was using .ts in both MP 1.0 and MP 1.0.1

My specs are: AMD 4200+ Dual Core / Gigabyte 780G Mobo / Onboard HD3200 / HVR2200 / XP SP3 / PDVD8 Build 2217aU / ATI 8.12

Here's my log - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

We talked in another forum about this problem, ie my sound and picture on one particular channel is out of sync.
    My computer is a Dell Dimension 9150. With a dual core 3.2gb processor. The graphics card is ATI Radeon. The TV tuner is a WINTV Nova 500 DVB-T. I am running XP MCE edition with all the updates and service packs up to date. My profile also has all my specs in it if I have forgotten any. I will now attach the zip file that I made after I ran in debug mode and tried to watch the channel that is the problem. This is the first time I have done a debug thing, I hope I have done this right.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Maybe it's not so much an issue of deinterlacing as it is regularly dropped frames and jitter along with defocused/blurry images with picture motion which are new and ONLY present on 1080i material -- 720p format remains unaffected, still rock-solid even with MP 1.0.1 & 1.0.2.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could someone post a test .ts clip that can be used to reproduce the issue?

Could you post a screen shot that shows the video issue? Looks like it would work here nicely (no deinterlace issues spotted). (Only juddering, but that is caused by the fact that I have too slow CPU to decode HD content).

I'm not sure how a single screen shot would show the video issue if the video is jerky?
    Do you want a screen shot showing the shift+! rendering information?

Basically with MP 1.0.2 i get atleast 10% of frames dropped and the judder is high for 1080i DVB-T H264 HDTV. With MP 1.0 Final, i get less than 1% dropped frames maybe zero dropped frames and zero judder.

orph

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Not sure this will help, but no one's pointed out that on the 720p TV feeds, frame rate is at 50-55. Like Kiwi and Reg and everyone else has pointed out... 1080i is getting 24. My current ATI resolution is 1920x1080 at 60hz (P). You'll get the same results switching to 30hz (i). Switching to 1280x720 at 60hz, you may get around 30fps.

Without any engineering background, it seems to me that the latest versions, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are trying to create video in a progressive form. Some people have suggested using the automatic refresh rate change .. which has been a newly added feature in 1.0.1 / 1.0.2. But the refresh rate changer does NOT solve the problem. You can try to force 30hz interlace, but it still creates 24fps.

I don't think this has anything to do with codecs, VRM or using specified interlace features. Changing those settings will only try to create a work around. I work with After Effects on a daily basis. If I don't interpret interlace video, and try to simply put a "de-interlace" effect on, the video will not look good. The only solution is to interpret the video properly.

I think MediaPortal is trying to spit out progressive video from a 1080i feed, and it's not interpreting the video correctly, thus the television or the video card's refresh rate can't and won't be able to keep up. The reason I think this, is because if a 720p feed can give you 50fps, why wouldn't a 1080i feed? Instead, it's almost behaving like it's trying to spit out 1080p,... basically, not de interlacing.

That's also why sending out a freeze frame won't matter. The jitter is a result from the back end. (TV)

It's all theory. I'm sure there's a technical reason why it's doing this, I just don't have the programing know-how.

If this can be solved, (along with schedule recordings not working), the TV feature will be running very nice IMO. ;)

Good luck... and thanks for the help.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also notice another difference between 1.0 Final and 1.0.2

When you press shift+! in MP 1..0.2 the frame rate/dropped frames etc updates every 2 passess of the tearing line eg. every 2 secounds or so, with MP 1.0 the shift+! info updates several times per secound.

EDIT: I'll try and post a log with .ts sample and youtube video of 1.0 Final vs 1.0.2 and see if i can demonstrate the differences between the two.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm not sure how a single screen shot would show the video issue if the video is jerky?
    Do you want a screen shot showing the shift+! rendering information?

Basically with MP 1.0.2 i get atleast 10% of frames dropped and the judder is high for 1080i DVB-T H264 HDTV. With MP 1.0 Final, i get less than 1% dropped frames maybe zero dropped frames and zero judder.

My bad, I thought the issue was deinterlace not working (as it definitely sounds that deinterlace is not even done if 1080i material is played at lower fps than progressive. As the result of deinterlace should be doubling the material fps when the deinterlace is done on HW).

Unfortunately I cannot help with the stuttering issue as I don't have enough powerful development PC where I could actually play 1080i material, sorry guys someone else has to debug this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom