4TheRecord Skin - Who owns development/bugs? (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So what does 4TR give you?

Hi there,

I have successfully been running MP 1.1.0.0 with StreamedMP - great work guys :D

I did think the Scheduler was a little static - in that I didn't believe it could deal with program time changes, and lacked a bit of intelligence.

I happened to stubble across 4TR and it looked good, but already seemed to be included in MP (although I've been told its not, it just appears the same as MP GUI via the skin/plugin).

So I have recently installed 4TR - had a bit of pain (had to get the Beta files from the Dev Forum on 4TR, had to get the fixed 4TR skin files from here, etc).

I still can't the EPG data to import either :(

Anyway...

My question is... (ignoring all the external stuff outside of MP - Web interface, IMBot, etc).... What extra has it actually given me in MP?? I can't to find any extra functionality????? :(

Please help....

J.

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    Hi J,

The functionality you are gaining is in the powerful scheduling engine running behind the scenes. Look at the 4TR Management Console, from here (and also within mediaportal) you can search the guide, schedule recordings, schedule searches for films with your favorite actor etc. Like series link on Sky+. It will also manage any recording clashes and make sure that any recordings on the same transponder will only use one tuner so that your other tuner can be free.

4TR will also create thumbnails for your recordings and make them available via recorded TV. It also offers web access to the guide data so you can schedule remotely.

If you are looking for more detail it might be best to post on the 4TR forums and also look at the product features page.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi bushbrother.

Thanks for replying :)

I have read their website, and it does indeed look good.

I think my real problem is seeing how I make use (access) these powerful features from within MP (with the StreamedMP Skin).

When I go into the EPG and press record, it seems to give me the same options as I had without 4TR.

I'm not too fussed about the management console, as the only interface that will be used is MP

I think Ihave managed to break it now.. as when I try to watch TV it states there are no free tuners?? :(

Thanks,

J.

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Jay,

Most of the powerful features of 4tr are accessed from the management console.

I'm not sure what is implemented in the StreamedMP skin but I doubt it will do all the functions. Personally I use Indigo and this allows me to establish a new schedule in 4tr but I will then use the management console to tweak the settings (e.g. adding additional channels it might be on E4, E4+1, Channel 4, Channel 4+1 etc, new episodes only / skip repeats).

Investigate the Management Console and you will see the power of 4tr.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Jay,

Most of the powerful features of 4tr are accessed from the management console.

I'm not sure what is implemented in the StreamedMP skin but I doubt it will do all the functions. Personally I use Indigo and this allows me to establish a new schedule in 4tr but I will then use the management console to tweak the settings (e.g. adding additional channels it might be on E4, E4+1, Channel 4, Channel 4+1 etc, new episodes only / skip repeats).

Investigate the Management Console and you will see the power of 4tr.

+1 - Or the Web Console which has 95% of the Management Console features.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi again,

I'd be happy to use the console and web interface myself.... but try explaining that to the other half.

She still isn't too happy about losing the Sky+ box (which was really simple to use) and having it replaced with the HTPC with either MCE or MP.

I was hoping from within MP the extra functionality of 4TR would be easily at hand.

MP can record same time everyday, Mon to Fri, etc, but I don;t believe it can detect when a series finishes? or if an episode changes time? I assume this is where I need 4TR?

If accessing the required features is only available via management console or web interface (suprised no one has managed to incorporate this into MP) then I might as well regress back and uninstall it. :(

J.

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Jay,

I think you need to investigate 4tr for your and your girlfriends requirements. We all have different needs and expectations. The interface in MP can set up new recording schedules but it does not offer all the functionality. I would as a convert suggest that it is worth the time to investigate. We watch very little live TV these days relying on 4tr to record for us. With the "series" link features it even knows when new series are starting.

If you get it working with a good epg then it is as good as the epg update.

armyofme

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2006
    York
    Home Country
    4TR - Problems with new SVN

Anyone updating to the latest SVN may notice that some of the 4TR skin files no longer work - can't get Recorded TV menu to display information.

Can anyone verify this is the case? (Not just on my setup). And anyone with a solution? :)

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    Re: 4TR - Problems with new SVN

Anyone updating to the latest SVN may notice that some of the 4TR skin files no longer work - can't get Recorded TV menu to display information.

Can anyone verify this is the case? (Not just on my setup). And anyone with a solution? :)

I take it you are using the skin files from last StreamedMP release, try the attached files - these are for current SVN and 4TR 1.4.1.

Cheers

Attachments

• 4TR_StreamedMP.zip
      30.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom