About the X-Factor Skin (R683) (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

nick76

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi emph,
    thank you for your tips... I've downloaded and ran the grabber and I imported the files into the thumbs\clearart folder. but my xfactor doesn't show anything new when I pause a tv serie...

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi emph,
    thank you for your tips... I've downloaded and ran the grabber and I imported the files into the thumbs\clearart folder. but my xfactor doesn't show anything new when I pause a tv serie...

Perhaps it's only implemented for when you press F9 (info on remote)?

Emph

arctork

Portal Member
    August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi all,
    a small question about clearart? How can I enable it? I've TvSeries 2.6 with the latest xfactor skin.
    Nick

It isn't integrated as an automatic thing yet, so get this tool: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...loader-automatically-download-clearart-84965/ and set the output path to your thumbs/clearart (this folder should already be there).

Emph

Hi,

I just installed Media Portal, this would be my first attempt at all this. When you say point the output path to your thumbs/clearart folder ... Where should this folder already be? I couldn't find it. Is it under Program files?

Also the reason I chose X-Factor as my first skin is because I saw these videos ... of this guy's setup.

YouTube - COMPLETE SHOWCASE: Media Portal (1 of 2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky45Bzibkl8

So I installed X-Factor but the screens don't seem to be the same. I don't get the screen with all the chairs in the cinema/theatre ... and in part 2 I don't get all the fan art ... Also it seems that when I adjust some some of the settings for the main the screen ... they don't seem to change. I still get the box in the bottom left had corner of the screen with all the options. I think I've caught on that I'm obviously missing some plugins ... but I'm not sure which ones.

Although I'm a developer by career ... I'm still a newb with all this media center / htpc stuff, and I haven't found answers anywhere else on the net yet. So if anyone has any advice ... with regard to the above points ... that'd be awesome.

Thanks,

I also grabbed the digital copy of Clash of the Titans through ITunes ... placed it in the playlists folder and it didn't even show up in media portal??? I'm obviously missing a few things ... not sure what though.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi and welcome :)

There are a couple of ways of 'fixing' this:
    In MediaPortal find the settings menu option -> then look for the X-Factor option within that menu
    You'll fin several options for the homescreen layout in there - the one the guy in the video uses is the Horizontal version (with or without RSS)

Alternatively, you can close MP, run the MP config tool, click the very bottom of the tree on the left: plugins and find the X-Factor config tool. That little gem gives you LOTS of options for configuring the skin :)

On the plugins front there are quite a few to play with but the ones you 'need' are Moving Pictures and MyTVSeries - both awesome. Look to the first page of this thread for the list of supported plugins...
    You also should install an unlocked version of SAF - the codec package specifically designed for MP

You should have no problem finding these things using the forum search...

good luck and enjoy the MP experience :D

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I also grabbed the digital copy of Clash of the Titans through ITunes ... placed it in the playlists folder and it didn't even show up in media portal??? I'm obviously missing a few things ... not sure what though.

To have MediaPortal find/play back all types of media files, you sometimes need to add the extension to the Video part of the Configuration. Also, you need to have a DirectShow codec installed that can play it. If it plays in Windows Media Player, and you've added the extension, there should be no problem.

For clearart, if you're on Win7, the folder path should be:

c:\users\yourusername\application data\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\clearart

Emph

arctork

Portal Member
    August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks guys,

I have tried setting this up once again ... but to no avail. I followed these instructions ... regarding the configuration tool. XFactorMainMenu - x-factor - Customizing your X-Factor basichome menu. - Project Hosting on Google Code and I went to the XFactor Menu Editor" and in the column on the right I changed some of the images for the menu options. I also tried setting them all to use fanart. Both times after I generated a new basic home and then clicked ok on the way out .... then brought up Media Portal again ... and nothing had changed. I'm on Windows Vista ... I've installed the service packs ... and I have no idea why it's not working.

I did notice that for instance in the fanart plugin all the folder locations were C:\Documents and Settings\... but on Windows Vista that's just a short cut / junction that points elsewhere. When I go and click on this shortcut however I get a "Location is not Available error".

In browsing around some of the folder I notice that many are empty. Am I supposed to download fan art manually and place it in specific folders for this to work? I'm kinda lost at the moment.

I also don't think it's a codec issue all the videos play ... I just don't get any fan art with them nor are the different menu screens working. The main menu screen I see is the one with the wooden floor and the 2 chairs and then it looks like a bit of a wasteland in the distance out the window.

Where am I going wrong?

arctork

Portal Member
    August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have taken screenshots to show you what I've got at the moment.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    1. On the skin not updating - clear your cache, not sure where it is on Vista though... (someone here'll point you in the right direction, I use XP)

2. Install the MovingPictures plugin - it's MUSC better than using the Videos section AND automatically scans and updates your movies AND does the fanart thing.

I have a media folder on a separate drive, in there are /music, /movies, /TV and /recorded (for the TV recording)
    I pointed MovingPictures to the media/movies folder and MyTVSeries to the media/tv folder - and they work fine :D (check by opening the plugin config and running a manual import)
    I used the MPConfig tool to setup the media/music folder in the music->Music folders section (add), then updated the music database (music->database).

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In the Skin section of MediaPortal's Configuration app, check "Start with Basic Home". Also, in XFactor Basic Home Editor, make sure you click "Generate" as well as "Save".

Edit: You can find the "user files" at the top left of the Configuration window. These are shortcuts to the thumbs/clearart folders.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom