Android MediaPortal remote? (1 Viewer)

A[L]C

Portal Member
February 2, 2009
Hmmm think I may have to give XBMC a go too, just for the android remote. Thanks for the link

beared

Portal Member
November 12, 2010
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hum.. and about all those Symbian Wifi devices out there? Any remote aplication for MP? Anyone? :)

Thanks!

spoco2

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Well, after installing XBMC it has instantly reminded me of the awful way you go about adding media... they have constrained themselves to make it all have to be able to be done via the remote, so it's not intuitive which mode you're in, how to get back to the settings for a folder, why your media isn't showing up etc. etc. It really is quite horrible.

Plus, it's not obvious how you show a folder that contains just videos, not TV shows, not Movies, just videos (like ones I've made myself for example).

So... it has just reminded me why I use MediaPortal. Just wish someone would make a proper Android App for controlling it :D

kyleh0000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 28, 2009
    Home Country
    + 1 for this, the XBMC remote is very cool, but XBMC doesnt cut the mustard for me MediaPortal is still WAY better IMO

maybe ill see how hard it is and give it ago myself...

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Android MediaPortal remote?

I was thinking of writing something like this to REPLACE my remote control (basically send up/down/left/right/etc via home WiFI network). Just about to get an Android phone that is capable enough.

Hi JDWestoby,

I was thinking the same thing about an iPhone app and started writing one (including a process plugin for MP).
    If you are still interested in programming something for Android and want to talk about it please contact me :)

kyleh0000

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 28, 2009
    Home Country

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have a IR remote that does everything i pretty much need with the exception that it doesn't have good mouse support and can't type text, where i think an android app might be a quick alternative for a keyboard / mouse in some situations.

However having something that interfaced well with the music database that could
    1. Queue up more music tracks in mediaportal player
    2. Stream music from the htpc's mediaportal music database over the wifi
    3. Transfer audio files from the htpc's mediaportal music database over the wifi then store them on the sd card so I can play them on my phone when away from home. I would be able to transfer playlists as well, or transfer all music files with star rating >0, or transfer 50 random songs with star rating >0 from the mp database onto my phone's sd card.

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Just what kiwijunglist said basically. That's what I most want out of my mediaportal android remote. It's mostly because I find it tiresome, slow and wasteful to have to turn on the tv just to change tracks. Also, I'm about to wire up the house with more speakers and want to be able to change music from other rooms.

iPimp does do this... but dang the xbmc one is purty and works really nicely and quickly. It's just a pity xbmc is a pain to get working the way I like. Media Portal is all setup just how I like it :D

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: AW: Re: Android MediaPortal remote?

I was thinking the same thing about an iPhone app and started writing one (including a process plugin for MP).

Hey Shukuyen,
    Are you still working on the iPhone remote app?? If so I would be definently interested in it! It would be nice to be able to use my iPhone as a remote only (without all the other iPiMP included stuff, i.e. web browser, tv plugin, etc...)

Thanks!
    Wile E.

Users who are viewing this thread