Another TV-Server Question.. Easy I promise! (1 Viewer)

bighick

Portal Pro
July 6, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So can I add a rtsp stream into my tv channels? I have 1 IP camera that I can access via VLC @ rtsp://192.168.254.5/now.mp4 . I would love to just have this as a channel on my TVguide. Thanks in advance!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So can I add a rtsp stream into my tv channels? I have 1 IP camera that I can access via VLC @ rtsp://192.168.254.5/now.mp4 . I would love to just have this as a channel on my TVguide. Thanks in advance!
    You can try, but based on the mp4 extension I think the answer is probably no.

To attempt, I would create an m3u playlist file named something like "bighick.IP camera.m3u" with the following content:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:0,My IP Camera Channel
    rtsp://192.168.254.5/now.mp4

m3u files can be created/opened in any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.). Create a txt file for a start, then change the extension to m3u... or something like that.

Once you have the m3u file, put that in the DVB-IP tuning details folder:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Go up one level, then into the TuningParameters -> dvbip subfolder.
    4. Put the m3u file in that folder.
    Now try to scan with the built-in DVB-IP tuner.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/6_Scan_DVB-IP

Select bighick.IP camera as service, and then scan for channels.
    If the channel is picked up, you're golden. Otherwise you're going to have to think up a more clever way to do this. Maybe by re-streaming the camera feed using VLC, or something tricky like that.

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Doesn't work :( . Any alternatives you can push me to other than the iSpy plugin?
    In xbmc I just have "rtsp://192.168.254.5/now.mp4" in a .strm file, anything similar I can do in MePo?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Doesn't work :( .
    Sorry - as I said, I expected it probably wouldn't but worth a shot regardless.

Any alternatives you can push me to other than the iSpy plugin?
    Hmmm, I had never heard of iSpy before now - interesting, thanks. :)
    In answer to your question, there is nothing else I can think of which would get you the MP TV integration that you mentioned. I've probably answered a handful of threads about integrating security/CC cameras in my time working on MediaPortal. It doesn't appear to be a common "use case" and there is no industry standard that I'm aware of for streaming the content onto a network. Hence we don't invest any effort specifically towards supporting this.

In your specific case the issue is the mp4 container format; TV Server works with MPEG 2 transport streams. If you were able to find or create something that can do the wrapper conversion then it would work with the DVB-IP/IPTV tuner. As previously mentioned, VLC is very capable of restreaming so you may find you can use VLC as a kind of mirror to bounce the stream into MP.

You could also try OnlineVideos... but it probably won't give you the integration you're looking for.

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Hey no big deal. Glad you were able to tell me this. Not like it would be hard to open it on my phone/tablet/google chrome when I hear the doorbell anyway.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    If your cam has audio codec you can use vlc to change the container. I sometime watch youtube using vlc in tvplugin like an iptv channel.

Timothy Cobb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2012
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Home Country
    Doesn't work :( .
    Sorry - as I said, I expected it probably wouldn't but worth a shot regardless.

Any alternatives you can push me to other than the iSpy plugin?
    Hmmm, I had never heard of iSpy before now - interesting, thanks. :)
    In answer to your question, there is nothing else I can think of which would get you the MP TV integration that you mentioned. I've probably answered a handful of threads about integrating security/CC cameras in my time working on MediaPortal. It doesn't appear to be a common "use case" and there is no industry standard that I'm aware of for streaming the content onto a network. Hence we don't invest any effort specifically towards supporting this.

In your specific case the issue is the mp4 container format; TV Server works with MPEG 2 transport streams. If you were able to find or create something that can do the wrapper conversion then it would work with the DVB-IP/IPTV tuner. As previously mentioned, VLC is very capable of restreaming so you may find you can use VLC as a kind of mirror to bounce the stream into MP.

You could also try OnlineVideos... but it probably won't give you the integration you're looking for.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to do this. since the ispy plugin is nolonger managed by the dev, i am trying to find an alternative. i am useless with vlc, been trying to restream my cams (mjpg) as mpeg-2 and i can and view them in vlc, but have no idea how to address them or anything and then scan for them with tv server. please help me out with this.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but have no idea how to address them or anything and then scan for them with tv server. please help me out with this.
    You scan them in with the DVB-IP/IPTV tuner.
    Set up an m3u playlist with the URL(s) of the restreamed streams. Copy one of the DVB-IP tuning detail playlists if it helps. m3u files can be opened and edited in any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.).
    Then just go ahead and scan according to the normal DVB-IP scan process:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/6_Scan_DVB-IP

Users who are viewing this thread