Tools and other software Antivirus + Firewall for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Deco

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
Ireland
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Left in Hibernate most of the time, restart only when MediaPortal crashes ;) ! No issues with AVG.

Cheers, Deco.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Deco,
    Thanks for the response. How do you have AVG's updates configured?

umlaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Kumla
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Personally I use Avast and is very happy with it. It do display popups but you can configure so they dont come when MediaPortal is running.

1. Right-click the avast! notification icon (on the task bar by the clock) and select Program Settings.

2. In the left pane, select Troubleshooting.

3. On the right side, check the Check for full screen applications (e.g. games) before displaying popups checkbox.

4. Click OK.

Hope this tip can help someone.

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    I have been wondering if I really need to install a virus scanner. All videos that I play are off a network from a computer which does have a virus scanner. I do have the xp firewall on and I'm behind a router. The only risk of anything getting in that I can think of would be if a security update didnt get installed before a worm or something got in. Either that or putting discs in but I would think that is a pretty low risk as I would not do that very often.

The computer I'm using is kinda slow. It can play the videos ok but I'm afraid a virus scanner may slow it down too much. I've thought about installing Avira, AVG, or Avast. I also have symantec from work but I hear it is slow.

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've pretty much test them all with HTPC. If you don't use one with it they it will run fast no matter what PVR your using. If you really need to run one.

I recommend using:

Firewall - PC Tools Firewall Plus (freeware)
    Spyware/Anti-Virus - low impact on system would be the Spyware Doctor with Antivirus Starter Edition
    Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 5.5 Starter Edition - Information World Review

Don't let the name starter edition fool you it will never expire. There is a current version available but it's hidden
    Might update with using the above or might not. I use it doesn't screw up the HTPC or slow anything down. Full version would do that though. These programs can be setup to run on off peak time for small scan or full scans.
    There is SD Starter or SDA Starter. If you don't use the PC for the internet you can get away with the FWP with SD. If you do use the internet with PC then get FWP + SDA both free and both update for free and do schedule scans well SDA does.

I've gone back with AVAST Home Edition but after a few weeks using it just slows down the system. Plus it was suppose to catch spyware it really doesn't and SD + AVAST both for free work quite well. Fastest performance would be using FWP + SDA.

That's my on take on this subject...

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    i was about to get avast until i saw it will expire so i got avari. this setup is for my non-computer savy parents so i wanted to reduce the number if support calls.

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country
    PC Tools Antivirus has always been for free. They have a full one. Even if you had prior versions they will still update

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    PC Tools Antivirus has always been for free

It has not been around for more than 2 years, so do not consider that always for free.

Personally got fed up with AVG free's refusal to update since version 8 appeared, so switched back to Avast about 4 months ago, and does what i need, also been around a long time, even before AVG and certainly not a system hog.

tipstir

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2007
    Home Country

It has not been around for more than 2 years, so do not consider that always for free.

Personally got fed up with AVG free's refusal to update since version 8 appeared, so switched back to Avast about 4 months ago, and does what i need, also been around a long time, even before AVG and certainly not a system hog.

Back in the day of dos and Win 31 it was Norton AV NAV.. I still find buying these so call software security suites a waste of money. Sill install each part on it's own still a good effective way. SDA going on it's second year still does a good protection. AVAST Home I still feel like it really doesn't protect so good. Downloads.com has SDA.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AVG 8 still free

It wasn't easy, but I found a link to a free version of AVG 8 on their website. Since I moved up to v8, the auto-updates work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom