ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (1 Viewer)

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After viewing your DVB log, MP is properly scanning for channels. I see no error in MP, therefore it must be in your reception. I don't know if you can get an ATSC signal on another TV in your house, but ATSC reception is a little different than NTSC. It is a UHF signal, and needs a UHF antenna. The "bowtie" antenna is popular. My rooftop antenna is actually eight bowtie antennas in one large antenna.

Weezul

February 18, 2007
Home Country
Paul,

What model is that antenna and where did you get it, is it available with an online vendor?

I am looking for something specifically like that one.

Thanks,

Don

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
That's a ChannelMaster 4228. Everone around here agrees that it is one of the better ones. I bought it at a local TV/Cable parts distributing company. They are mostly wholesale, but do over the counter retail sales. I paid around $42 for it, not to shabby!

You should be able to get it in your area from a local dealer. Here's a link to the ChannelMaster web site with the HDTV outdoor antennas:
http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/0612/antennas_outdoor.html

You will still need a mast and tripod, that's not included.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
I just bought a ATI 650. The analog side works fine. However the ATSC side is not working. When I do an autotune the signal strenghth never goes above about 25% and it never adds any new channels. I have tried it two different rooms and I get the same results. I'm using 2.2.0 SVN 14036 and ATI driver 6.14.10.232 from 4/18/07. I first thought it was just the HD antenna...but even if there is nothing connected to the ATI 650 and I do an autotune I get the same results. Can someone help me?

I'm seeing exactly the same behavior. I watched the channel scan several times and the signal strength and quality clearly indicate that there are several stations but only two are identified by MediaPortal and both show up completely black.

I'll try an amplified antenna but I'm not so sure that's the only problem. I'm only a few miles from the transmitters.

CrazChris

May 23, 2007
Home Country
Has anyone gotten the ATSC tuner of the Win Tv HVR 1600 to work with the TVServer? I can scan channels fine and also add them to groups, but when I try to view them I get perfect audio, but no video?? Are there any work arounds to make it work with tv server?

Each channel has a red circle next to it instead of the green circle the analog ones have. Is that a problem? What does that circle mean anyways?

I've gotten the Analog tuner of the winTV HVR 1600 to work and it's great!

:D for all the great work!

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
MediaPortal seems to use the analog TV tuner and radio on my card just fine (with a couple small exceptions) but I get nowhere with ATSC.

The exceptions are occasional audio sync problems and messed up audio on a couple channels. This is the first chance I've had to work on it in a long time so I haven't checked everything yet.

Paul S

Portal Pro
May 14, 2006
Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
Home Country
These are the ATSC tuners that I have tried, usually in a new PC or a fresh install of Windows. I use WinXP Pro or WMCE. I only use the stable version of Media Portal.

Air2PC PCI (older version) - Works OK with beta BDA drivers
VBox Cat's Eye DTA-150 - Works, but MP always crashes after 3 or 4 channel changes
pcHDTV HD-3000 (Linux only?) - Works OK, don't recall problems (it was a while ago)
AverTVHD MCE A180 - Watching TV worked, recording always screwed up

Since I didn't try them all in the same computer with the exact same set up, I really can't compare the results. I am now using the Air2PC in one box, and I get occasional lockups when tuning. I have the AverTVHD in another box, and have given up on using MP with that. I now use Beyond TV4, and it works flawlessly with the exact same setup.

I purchased BTV4 a few years back, so there was no additional expense. For watching and recording ATSC HDTV, it can't be beat.

Paul

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
The amplified antenna helped with Watch HDTV but the Media Portal setup program crashes when I try to scan for channels. I'll check newer builds and if nothing helps I'll post a log file. BTW, it seems to crash when if actually finds a channel.

pegisys

Portal Member
September 13, 2006
Home Country
The amplified antenna helped with Watch HDTV but the Media Portal setup program crashes when I try to scan for channels. I'll check newer builds and if nothing helps I'll post a log file. BTW, it seems to crash when if actually finds a channel.

I noticed that it crashes if the signal is not steady during a scan

mediaportal will also crash if the signal drops out for a few seconds, I lose my signal every time helicopters fly over my house, which is bad because I live a block away from a hospitals life flight dock :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom