audio not synced, stutter problems when refreshrate is 24hz (3 Viewers)

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I will try that (the spdif possibility) since me thinking it was solved by using an nvidia card was wrong... the problem is back. STrange though it seemed to work perfectly after install. Probably was in 60hz still... Fact is that more MKV's do play fine now, although in 60hz.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    happens on mp3 soundtracks as well as on spdif ac3 dts etc.

also using skip steps -15sec or similar often fixes it for me ..until it's bad again.

/gibman

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    This bug is very annoying!
    Possible it can not be solved?

Yesterday I must have to change the refresh rate at 25 Hz and use Reclock to sync the audio... in this way the audio was synced!!!

But I don't like this solution I've a TV that supports 24p and I want use it in the right way:(

fanoI

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    I've created a little 24 fps sample for you in which you can see the high cpu usage with Mediaportal (playing at 24p)
    In My system (Athlon X2 3600+) I've a 53% CPU usage but as I've a dual core CPU this MEANS a core is at 100% and a little (3%) is used form the other core :eek:
    The same file played from the poor Windows Mediaplayer show a ridicolous 15% (peak, too!) of CPU usage... (it means 7% per core!)

And it's not a file problem: if I change the refresh rate of the TV at 50Hz the Mediaportal CPU usage drop at acceptable
    values 27% (similar at WMP CPU usage at the REAL refresh rate).

In this sample there is not speaking or fast moving scenes but it's clear that when they are it can drop frames, don't play a little audio part, stutter and so on... the CPU is always for all the playing of the "movie" at 100% :eek:

I hope you can reproduce this problem in your labs... I attach Mediaportal LOGs too maybe you can find some useful info...

This the link at the 24 fps sample file:
    4shared.com - file sharing - download movie file Saint Seiya Hades intro 24fps low quality 2.avi

Thank you,
    fanoI

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    As soon as someone will donate a 24Hz capable monitor to my dev PC (or big tv) I'll promise to start to look into the issue :p

Everyone who is seeing the issue, check the CPU usage when playing the files that are having the sync issue. If you are getting near 50% CPU usage on dual core system (or 100% CPU on single core system) then this is most likely a performance related issue after all. No clue how 24Hz will trigger it, but when you have CPU hitting the limits there will be sync issues as audio / video cannot be rendered anymore on their correct timestamps (same issue can be seen with underpowered CPU/GPU with other video player software as well).

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    As soon as someone will donate a 24Hz capable monitor to my dev PC (or big tv) I'll promise to start to look into the issue :p
    :mad:

Well I think (hope) 24p TV/Monitor became more common in the future... and you decide to do the upgrade they have a lot
    of advantages :p

Everyone who is seeing the issue, check the CPU usage when playing the files that are having the sync issue. If you are getting near 50% CPU usage on dual core system (or 100% CPU on single core system) then this is most likely a performance related issue after all.

Yes... but if I play the same file with Windows Mediaplayer the cpu usage is 20%... the difference is too big respect to Mediaportal :eek:
    And How is possible that the same file changing the refresh rate of the TV is played well?

... and have you see as ridiculous is the file linked?
    640*480 XVID at 800 Kb/s (the original is 4000 Kb/s) but the 100% CPU usage continues AFTER recompression!!!

I'm sorry but it's a Mediaportal bug, in my opinion!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Well I think (hope) 24p TV/Monitor became more common in the future... and you decide to do the upgrade they have a lot
    of advantages :p

For dev PC I see no advantages, so it migth take a long time before I upgrade the currently working monitor...

I'm sorry but it's a Mediaportal bug, in my opinion!

I'mm 99% sure it is a MP bug, I was just pointing out that other player software will have same sync issues if they hit the similar CPU/GPU limitation. Dunno what causes that to happen on MP side.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    For dev PC I see no advantages, so it migth take a long time before I upgrade the currently working monitor...

Mmm I see the point... my Sony LCD Monitor of some years ago can do 72 Hz via VGA (I'm not sure via DVI) your monitor don't reach this refresh rate?
    I this is a pretty standard refresh rate... and as it is a multiple of 24 Hz would be the same as using a 24p capable TV I think :D

I'mm 99% sure it is a MP bug, I was just pointing out that other player software will have same sync issues if they hit the similar CPU/GPU limitation. Dunno what causes that to happen on MP side.

A very strange bug... changing refresh rate all OK :D

fanoI

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Mmm I see the point... my Sony LCD Monitor of some years ago can do 72 Hz via VGA (I'm not sure via DVI) your monitor don't reach this refresh rate?
    I this is a pretty standard refresh rate... and as it is a multiple of 24 Hz would be the same as using a 24p capable TV I think :D

Indeed, 72Hz might trigger the same bug (but I doubt it). Could anyone who is having the issue to verify if the same issue is triggered with 48/72Hz?

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Everyone who is seeing the issue, check the CPU usage when playing the files that are having the sync issue. If you are getting near 50% CPU usage on dual core system (or 100% CPU on single core system) then this is most likely a performance related issue after all. No clue how 24Hz will trigger it, but when you have CPU hitting the limits there will be sync issues as audio / video cannot be rendered anymore on their correct timestamps (same issue can be seen with underpowered CPU/GPU with other video player software as well).
    But why is the same file playing fine in 60hz... there should be performance issues then as wel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom