Audio problem with RECORDED atsc files (1 Viewer)

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: 15633
MediaPortal Version: RC1+SVN15633
MediaPortal Skin: Foofaraw
Windows Version: XPMCE2005
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 3600+
HDD: 80 gig "deathstar"
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667
Motherboard: Biostar TF7050
Motherboard Chipset: nvidia7050
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: nvidia gforce 7600GS
Video Card Driver: 93.71
Sound Card: onboard realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: onboard realtek HD
Sound Card Driver: ?
1. TV Card: VBox USB tuner 3560
1. TV Card Type: ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: 2.1.705.12 (tuner)
2. TV Card: Hauppauge NOVA Plus S
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
2. TV Card Driver: ?
3. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-150
3. TV Card Type: NTSC
3. TV Card Driver: ?
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
Satelite/CableTV Provider: 4DTV
HTPC Case: Thermaltake Bach
Cooling: Yes
Power Supply: 450 watt
Remote: harmony 550
TV: Toshiba 57" DLP HD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Refer to original post HERE for some information.

In the original post I asked if anyone else was having the same issue I was having with recorded atsc programs. However, I received no response.

So, here are the issues. First of all, it should be known that I have tsreader enabled and LIVE ATSC works perfectly. However, recorded ATSC is causing problems. I have listed them below:

#1. I can record to TS Format. However, when trying to play the TS format in MediaPortal, MP will stop responding. It will still make sounds if I push buttons on the remote, but it will not perform what I am asking it to do. At that time, my only option is to kill mediaportal.exe. I have attached the tv.log and mediaportal.log which is generated when trying to playback this format.

#2. I can record to mpg format. However, when playing back an mpg file in MediaPortal, there will be no audio. I can also play the file in Windows Media Player and VLC, but there is not any audio from those applications either. If you see my linked post above, you can see a screenshot of VLC playing one of these files. It could not find any audio to decode. I have attached the tv.log and mediaportal.log which is generated when trying to playback this format.

More info:
I have my audio receiver connected via S/PDIF *AND* regular L/R stereo cables. So, if there is sound coming out of the PC, it will get picked up by my receiver. I do not believe that is the problem seeing how audio works at all other times, even with live ATSC.

If I understand things correctly, ATSC is always AC3 audio. Sometimes it is 2 channels (2/0) and sometimes it could be 5 channels (3/2). Live TV will play the correct audio. It seems as if the audio is not getting added to the file.

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
No, it has not been solved. I've tried different combinations of audio codecs/audio renderers, but I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the stream being sent to the client (based on what little I can decipher from the log).
I also want to say it is not an AC3 issue "across the board" because I get several free to air channels through the DVB-S card which have AC3 audio, and they record fine.

I also upgraded the TV Server, client plugin, and media portal SVN to a more recent version within the last week and the issue is still there. Looks like we are at the mercy of the developers.

I would like to find out if this occurs in a non-single seat setup too, but I have only the one PC at home.

Augiedoggy

Portal Member
September 24, 2007
Home Country
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version:
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version:
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I was told that atsc tuners are no longer supported in tv server....I can't get any video with mine...however my dvbs card works fine.

Deusxmachina

Portal Member
August 19, 2007
Home Country
So you figured it out then? Otherwise, I'm wondering if the files do have audio but on a different stream. Since Sunday, using Zap2it, my ATSC records fine but there's either no audio or what little bits there is of it makes the video stutter and skip and eventually shut the program down. I looked at the files with MediaInfo and see there's no audio stream 1 but there is stereo on stream 2. I play the files with VLC, put audio on stream 2 and stereo, and it plays fine.

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
Well, no I haven't figured it out. I never thought the audio was in the stream at all (see my link in first post of this thread).

But, from what you are saying, there is audio, but it is not the default stream when played back.
I think we may finally be on to something.

By the way, what does zap2it have to do with anything? Typo?

Deusxmachina

Portal Member
August 19, 2007
Home Country
I read of Zap2it causing weird problems the last few days and mentioned it in case there is some kind of link to it being the cause since this only started happening to me a few days ago. You never know when a small mention of something will make someone else say, "Aha!"

So, yeah, put those files into MediaInfo and see if there really is an audio stream(s) or not.

fairchild

Portal Member
August 2, 2006
well atsc streams fine, with perfect audio and video... however the recorded content does not have audio... if i play it in mediaportal or outside of media portal i cannot get audio... i think it has to do with the recorder in tvserver

teladog01

Portal Member
June 11, 2006
Same issue here. ATSC live tv streams play fine, but recordings have no audio. This is in single seat.

Another possibly related issue is that MP locks up totally when trying to play ATSC recordings on remote network clients. Live streams play fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom