Audio sync problems when screen set to 24 Hz (1 Viewer)

Koenig

Portal Member
December 14, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
As the CPU-usage goes up the sync issue gets worse, and when the usage falls the sync gets rigth again.
So it goes in and out of sync for me, but it only happens @ 24fps and only in MP.

Ok, this will explain the audio drifting issue. On dual core machines CPU usage nearing the 50% is already maxing out the CPU performance (almost all codecs are single threaded).

But, it doesn't answer the question why the CPU usage climbs... especially if it happens only with 24hz screen mode. Unfortunately I have to say that I have no clue what is happening, or how I could investigate the issue (as I have no access to the 24Hz capable display).

Can you try if the issue is reproducible as well with the 72Hz? (with exact the same HW).

Unfortunetly no, my plasma doesn't do 72Hz, I could try 60Hz a little bit later.

I know about the 50%, but is only if one core maxes out, but if you look at the curve, neither of the cores is close to 100% (which will show 50% in total)

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As the CPU-usage goes up the sync issue gets worse, and when the usage falls the sync gets rigth again.
    So it goes in and out of sync for me, but it only happens @ 24fps and only in MP.

Ok, this will explain the audio drifting issue. On dual core machines CPU usage nearing the 50% is already maxing out the CPU performance (almost all codecs are single threaded).

But, it doesn't answer the question why the CPU usage climbs... especially if it happens only with 24hz screen mode. Unfortunately I have to say that I have no clue what is happening, or how I could investigate the issue (as I have no access to the 24Hz capable display).

Can you try if the issue is reproducible as well with the 72Hz? (with exact the same HW).

Unfortunetly no, my plasma doesn't do 72Hz, I could try 60Hz a little bit later.

I know about the 50%, but is only if one core maxes out, but if you look at the curve, neither of the cores is close to 100% (which will show 50% in total)

people say at 60hz everything is fine, its only at 24hz everything is out of sync

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    people say at 60hz everything is fine, its only at 24hz everything is out of sync

Please check the CPU usage, if you can see the similar CPU usage rise as Koenig reported.

my cpu usage is fine, 24hz, 50hz 60hz

they vary ever so slightly but for now everything is in sync

really cant figure this out before i had stop using refresh rate changer because it was out of sync and now using things are still in sync

EDIT:
    right, windows 7 has a bug with refresh rate changer it doesnt actually change it funnily enough, so basically my results if you can count them as results are useless

but because i love mp so much, when i get back from the dentist, ill setup vista enviroment and play around some more :)

Koenig

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Here's a new screenshot same file, same scene as the two most recent posts from me, but @ 60Hz

MPC-HC's SAF - codec, just to clarify.

And now in sync, but not the same smoothness in picture (2:3 pulldown judder).

Tried without the new subtitle engine also, but it's still the same (heard somewhere it could be the new engine that messed things up)

Forgot to mention I'm using XP if that helps anyone....

Attachments

• CPU-Usage4.PNG
      CPU-Usage4.PNG
      36.5 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

As you see both cores are running at the 50% level. This causes already the stuttering, high load. Windows is only swiching the MP threads between the cores and as result of non-scaling code it will hit the limit at 50%. With quadcore it would be at approx 25%.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Here's a new screenshot same file, same scene as the two most recent posts from me, but @ 60Hz

That CPU graph explains why it works with 60Hz, but why it behaves such oddly on 24hz? I guess we wont ever know unless I (or some other dev) has 24Hz display to play with.

Koenig

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

That CPU graph explains why it works with 60Hz, but why it behaves such oddly on 24hz? I guess we wont ever know unless I (or some other dev) has 24Hz display to play with.

I think I actually solved my problem...

In Nvidias control panel I created a custom resolution and set the 24Hz timing to 23.98Hz.
    After I did that the CPU-peaks dissapeared in 24Hz mode.

But this probably means that the few movies out there that actually is 24fps (not 23.976) vill slowly go out of sync then...

They're not that many so I can live with it :p

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In Nvidias control panel I created a custom resolution and set the 24Hz timing to 23.98Hz.

Good find, but still I don't understand the high CPU usage...

But this probably means that the few movies out there that actually is 24fps (not 23.976) vill slowly go out of sync then...

How about creating 24Hz and 23.976Hz modes? :) And then using refresh rate changer to switch between all (I hope gibman has coded the RR changer in such way that it will allow separation between 24 and 23.976).

Koenig

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Good find, but still I don't understand the high CPU usage...

You and me both, but its gone now so....

How about creating 24Hz and 23.976Hz modes? :) And then using refresh rate changer to switch between all (I hope gibman has coded the RR changer in such way that it will allow separation between 24 and 23.976).

When I'm trying to make two 24Hz modes the Nvidia drivers just asks me if I want to replace the existing one. seems I can't have the same refreshrate twice...

Will look into this some more later on, but for now it's friday and beertime :cool: !!

(Got some celebrating to do, I beat the computer this time...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom