Australian DVB-T Retune (2 Viewers)

noonereallycares

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Melbourne
Home Country
The "All Regions" XML file that I posted earlier should have every frequency that could possibly be active in Australia.
So if we add Australia.Australia_-_All_Regions_Safe.xml and leave all current available tuning details in place, we are good?
Should be fine. It should also be OK to remove all the old regional ones.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It should also be OK to remove all the old regional ones.
    If the old ones can be removed, wouldn't it be better to add all those individual xml files you made?

Just tell me what exactly needs to be added and removed to/from the release ;)

noonereallycares

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    The decision is one for you guys to make. If you think users would be best served by keeping the scans to as few channels as possible, then use the individual regions. If you think users will accept the increased scan times and redundant scan failure messages, then use the single XML file. If someone out there has a list of frequencies that have been removed, I'm willing to update my shell script and rebuild the XML files. Until then, both options will involve scanning of inactive frequencies.

Since I live in a capital city, I don't have to worry about guessing which region I fall in to. Others may find that a bit annoying.

I apologise for being so non-committal. I regonise that it comes off as trying to pass the buck. I just figure that questions of user experience are best left to be answered by the team in charge of that kind of thing.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, so i think the best solution would be to remove all current Australian tuning details, replace them with the individual dvbt files you made, and also include the *all regions* file. That way users can pick their specific region and if they have issues, they can try the *all regions* file.

TNX for your work! ;)

@mm1352000 any thoughts/advice on this?

Created a branch with all the old tuning details removed, and all (630) new XML's added:
    MP1-Replace_all_Australian_DVBT_tuning_details

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, so i think the best solution would be to remove all current Australian tuning details, replace them with the individual dvbt files you made, and also include the *all regions* file. That way users can pick their specific region and if they have issues, they can try the *all regions* file.
    I agree.
    Each frequency that is wrong/inactive is actually scanned 3 times (for offsets), so the smaller the lists the better.

Big thanks @noonereallycares ! (y)

Actually, hang on just a minute...
    If you google for "Channel-Change-Timetable xlsx" you'll get a bunch of links. Some are old versions; some are inactive. However, the latest version seems to be available here:
    http://www.communications.gov.au/__data/assets/excel_doc/0011/161012/Channel_Change_Timetable.xlsx

Since the script is already written it hopefully won't be too hard to re-run... though there are still quite a few places scheduled for changes over the next 6 months.
    If I could also be so bold as to suggest an improvement: it would be great if we could have comments injected into the files to say which broadcaster uses each mux and when the changes are scheduled. For example:
    <!-- SBS - old frequency, changes on 2014-11-28 -->
    <DVBTTuning>
    </DVBTTuning>
    <!-- ABC -->
    <DVBTTuning>
    </DVBTTuning>
    <!-- SBS - new frequency, comes into effect on 2014-11-28 -->
    <DVBTTuning>
    </DVBTTuning>

Would that be possible?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Created a branch with all the old tuning details removed, and all (630) new XML's added:
    MP1-Replace_all_Australian_DVBT_tuning_details

For 1.8.0 we should include this. Because we are putting out a new release every 3 months, if we find any opportunities to improve things, we can fix them for 1.9.0.

The simple reality is that we won't have TV users in all of those regions. If something gets out of date, a user in that region will complain and we will find out that way.

However, we do really need someone in each country to keep overall track of this sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom