Automatic Refreshrate Changer (4 Viewers)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi Gibman,
again something great out of your hands!

But here is one thing I still don't get: the connection videocard refreshrate - tv refreshrate.
I have the new 42 plasma from panasonic, which supports 100hz and 24p playback.

With your plugin, when i change to 50 hz of the videocard, everything is great: 100hz (tv) is 2x50hz (videocard).
Now, if I let the refreshrate of the videocard automatically change to 60hz, what will happen to the refreshrate of my tv? Is the change detected and the tv changes along with it to 60hz?
And what happens with 24p material? Your plugin changes the refreshrate neatly to 24hz, but now the tv....how will it handle this? in the standard 100hz? will it change to 96hz? or does it change to 24hz?
I hope you can answer these questions as they've been bothering me for quite some time now...

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm not gibman, but I think I can answer your questions too.

Now, if I let the refreshrate of the videocard automatically change to 60hz, what will happen to the refreshrate of my tv? Is the change detected and the tv changes along with it to 60hz?

Your TV will change to 60Hz.

And what happens with 24p material? Your plugin changes the refreshrate neatly to 24hz, but now the tv....how will it handle this? in the standard 100hz? will it change to 96hz? or does it change to 24hz?
    I hope you can answer these questions as they've been bothering me for quite some time now...

When the TV gets a 24Hz signal it will change to 24Hz or 96Hz dependent on the settings of your TV. There's a setting called “Intelligent Frame Creation” which makes a 4:4 pulldown and adds interpolated frames in between resulting in 96Hz. It does look more like a video than a movie, but all motions are very smooth. If you don't like this video look disable the setting and you will have true 24Hz.

Damandan

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2007
    Tegelen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This works great! Thanks for this marvelous feature. Now I don't have to walk to the computer to change the refreshrate every time I want to play a blu-ray movie.

It's a shame though that the nvidia commandline for changing resolution and refreshrate does not work in Vista x64 (API not supported). However I installer Qres.exe in the mediaportal directory and put the QRes commands in Mediaportal.xml and this also works flawless.

Now I just need a recompiled version of RC4 with this feature in it and all will be well.

Or this feature should be added as an optional feature that can be selected from the configuration.

lemonhead

Portal Member
    August 17, 2006
    Täby
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Play in XXHz feature?

Thanks again for the prefect addition to MediaPortal, exelent work Gibman and testers!

What would you think of a "play in XXHz Hz" feature in the content menu? I think it would be great for iso files that launches in external programs (bluray/dvd), or files that has an unknown frequenzy.

I have setup bluray images to mount and start powerdvd, but i also have dvd images, so i can't just use a startscript för powerdvd to change the refresh rate.

What do You all here think?

I also have a question: Where can i get SVN 20605 for RRC 0.61? It's not in the SVN forum. I probably missed something obvious...

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    v0.61 (RC4) - 29 nov.
    * compiled for rc4
    * refactored a lot of the code. contains no bug fixes.

/gibman

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    gibman, thanks for the updated files. Unfortunately this, in my opinion, essential 'add-on' to MediaPortal has never worked bug-free for me (mainly directx device lost issues), and now with the recent release of RC4, my intention is to start again with the troubleshooting process. In order to do this more efficiently, I've downloaded the SVN repository, which currently still seems to be at rev 20960 (28 November), while your patch file is intended for 20971. Once the repository is up-to-date, I will compile my own set of files, start testing and report my findings. Unfortunately I don't have any coding knowledge, but I hope you can help me to make the refresh rate changer work for my setup. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom