Automatic Refreshrate Changer (3 Viewers)

lemonhead

Portal Member
August 17, 2006
Täby
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I updated my post earlier, and edterbak did to, we both use 12noon. I have devicereset set to no as well. Using XP. Did the Vista trip a while ago and found out the same thing You did; It sucks.. :)

This is my config:
<entry name="autochangerefreshrate">yes</entry>
<entry name="notify_on_refreshrate">yes</entry>
<entry name="cinema_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=24 -apply -quiet</entry>
<entry name="pal_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=50 -apply -quiet</entry>
<entry name="ntsc_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=60 -apply -quiet</entry>
<entry name="tv_ext">c:\\50hz.cmd</entry>
<entry name="cinema_fps">23.976;24</entry>
<entry name="pal_fps">25</entry>
<entry name="ntsc_fps">29.97;30</entry>
<entry name="tv_fps">25</entry>
<entry name="cinema_hz">24</entry>
<entry name="pal_hz">50</entry>
<entry name="ntsc_hz">60</entry>
<entry name="tv_hz">50</entry>
<entry name="default_hz">pal_hz</entry>
<entry name="use_default_hz">no</entry>
<entry name="devicereset">no</entry>
<entry name="force_refresh_rate">no</entry>

akiaki

Portal Pro
September 15, 2008
Zagreb
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
I see you have use default hz to off and tv hz set to "c:\\50hz.cmd".
maybe here lies the problem?
I have similar setup and no problems with hd3200 integrated graphics

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I dont have the exact file available to see what I have. But I know I also use a \\DC.exe -refresh=xx... command for TV hz. Still have the same issue as described. Im using a HD 4350 card.

Also, I just upgraded to 'MPC-HC codec' of 28th november. Lemonhead, did you perhaps do the same? This could be the cause as well..

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    :D
    THank you very much for the info!
    Just one more question though. What about PAL material of 25 fps...My tv can handle 100hz so I prefer to watch 25fps material on 100hz. But in order to use these 100hz, my videocard should be set to 100hz with this 'plugin' right? But my videocard can't handle 100hz on 1080p...(it's not an option in the dropdown menu of the settings of the videocard, only 50 or 60 hz).

There is no 100Hz input for HDMI and if you are not using IFC it won't make a difference if you choose 50 or 100Hz.

Now, what can I do to have my tv transmit on 100hz whilst receiving 50hz?
    And how does this normally work when I plug the cable of the DVB-C directly into my tv...With what kind of hz is 25fps PAL material shown?

You will see no difference between 50 and 100Hz as the LCD only shows the same frame twice without blanking the screen in between.

PAL content usually comes as 576i. That are 50 frames/s interlaced. So let the deinterlacing be done by your pc and output it with 50Hz.

One option I guess is to turn on IFC(intelligent frame creation) but this is not a very good picture processing option. I'd rather turn it off as it not always seems to create the interpolated frames right, like with soccer. And besides, this option is actually only ment for HD material.

IFC only makes motions smoother, but it's not perfect as you've seen in soccer. It's not that bad for cinema content at 24Hz, because with 24 fps you will see slight stutter on motions otherwise. Disabling it gives you nearly the same experience as in cinemas.

I don't know your LCD model exactly but maybe there's an option to tune IFC (I have seen so on Samsung).

I hope my answers are sufficient.:)

Oh, some addition: I've just read your previous post and you say you have a Plasma and not an LCD. That makes a difference as the Plasma rebuilds the screen and the more frames you have the smoother it will look (even without IFC). So maybe you have an option to select any sort of pulldown (2:2, 3:3, 4:4, ...) as this will give you twice, triple or more frames/s

lemonhead

Portal Member
    August 17, 2006
    Täby
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I had missed to configure the TV setting. Thanks for spotting that!

It wasn't the problem however. (And should not be as I wasn't watching TV) I get the same result now that it is configured properly.

The default Hz I set to no as a workaround. It works when that option is set to no, as I said in my first post. I should have given you the configuration I use when i doesn't work. Sorry for that.

The config looks like this now (problem present):

<entry name="autochangerefreshrate">yes</entry>
    <entry name="notify_on_refreshrate">yes</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=24 -apply -quiet</entry>
    <entry name="pal_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=50 -apply -quiet</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=60 -apply -quiet</entry>
    <entry name="tv_ext">c:\\Program Files\\12noon Display Changer\\dc.exe -refresh=50 -apply -quiet</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_fps">23.976;24</entry>
    <entry name="pal_fps">25</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_fps">29.97;30</entry>
    <entry name="tv_fps">25</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_hz">24</entry>
    <entry name="pal_hz">50</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_hz">60</entry>
    <entry name="tv_hz">50</entry>
    <entry name="default_hz">pal_hz</entry>
    <entry name="use_default_hz">yes</entry>
    <entry name="devicereset">no</entry>

So, no progress so far.

edterbak: I do not use MPC-HC codec at all.

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    gibman, thanks for the updated files. Unfortunately this, in my opinion, essential 'add-on' to MediaPortal has never worked bug-free for me (mainly directx device lost issues), and now with the recent release of RC4, my intention is to start again with the troubleshooting process. In order to do this more efficiently, I've downloaded the SVN repository, which currently still seems to be at rev 20960 (28 November), while your patch file is intended for 20971. Once the repository is up-to-date, I will compile my own set of files, start testing and report my findings. Unfortunately I don't have any coding knowledge, but I hope you can help me to make the refresh rate changer work for my setup. Thanks again.

I haven't touched Mediaportal SVN for a while, but I use SVN at work. If you start troubleshooting now with 20960 you can always update your working copy later, the new code from the repository will be diff'd with any code you've added/changed. If it doesn't think it can merge you'll see a conflict that you can then resolve. We do this all the time with great success, so long as you're not too far behind the latest. gibman's code hasn't changed lately, so you should be able to patch 20960 ok.

PS. Thanks for the RC4 version gibman.
    kenwonders, thanks for your response, and I will get on to this when this issue has been resolved. I first have to make sure my system works fine without the refresh rate changer getting involved.

akiaki

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2008
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    ok, yesterday i did a fresh win xp sp3 install and installed everythign like I had before - ati 8.5 drivers, 12noon, mp rc4 and latest refreshrate changer and everything works great.. I had no hangs, no crashes, no problem at all except when watching livetv at 50hz, and trying to play a movie, refreshrate is changed to 24hz (want to continue watching movie), movie fails to start, refsresh rate is changed back to 50hz.. I press play again, refreshrate is 24hz movie starts from beginning (no resume). If I stop livetv and play, everything works ok..
    So guys, I'm sorry but can't help you except maybe instead of rr you can try reclock to sync a/v to your refresh rate..
    :sorry:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe its the Catalyst 8.5.
    I have to use 8.10 hotfix for the HD4350 series. Could be a bug in there....
    lemonhead: which cat version are you on?
    jwdaigle: I think this should bepossible. Im not on vista, so I cant explain it more then described in the opening post.

lemonhead

Portal Member
    August 17, 2006
    Täby
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Maybe its the Catalyst 8.5.
    I have to use 8.10 hotfix for the HD4350 series. Could be a bug in there....
    @Lemonhead: which cat version are you on?
    @jwdaigle: I think this should bepossible. Im not on vista, so I cant explain it more then described in the opening post.
    I'm on nvidia, so no catalyst at all... :)

What version of 12noon do You use? I'm using the newest version 4.12. Later I'll try using the nvidia dll alternative (just to check), but that won't be today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom