Automatic Refreshrate Changer (2 Viewers)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    gibman, thanks for the updated files. Unfortunately this, in my opinion, essential 'add-on' to MediaPortal has never worked bug-free for me (mainly directx device lost issues), and now with the recent release of RC4, my intention is to start again with the troubleshooting process. In order to do this more efficiently, I've downloaded the SVN repository, which currently still seems to be at rev 20960 (28 November), while your patch file is intended for 20971. Once the repository is up-to-date, I will compile my own set of files, start testing and report my findings. Unfortunately I don't have any coding knowledge, but I hope you can help me to make the refresh rate changer work for my setup. Thanks again.

I haven't touched Mediaportal SVN for a while, but I use SVN at work. If you start troubleshooting now with 20960 you can always update your working copy later, the new code from the repository will be diff'd with any code you've added/changed. If it doesn't think it can merge you'll see a conflict that you can then resolve. We do this all the time with great success, so long as you're not too far behind the latest. gibman's code hasn't changed lately, so you should be able to patch 20960 ok.

PS. Thanks for the RC4 version gibman.

Crabstick

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    This is the greatest single improvement for MP ever! Thanks Gibman and all.

I installed the version for RC4. I use the ATI ccc method. Previously this 'plugin' has worked flawlessly. I have used this since the very beginning. Now with RC4 the refreshrate will change but playback does not start. It throws me to MP home screen. I have to press play again to start the movie. Same when I stop the 24 fps movie and start watching TV.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmm...

I seem to have a problem.

Starting a movie file is OK. NO problem. When I stop, I get an error message and MP crashes > exits.

HEre is the Log

Using MP RC4 now + 12Noon RC

lemonhead

Portal Member
    August 17, 2006
    Täby
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the same problem.

It seems like the error occurs when the refreshrate is changed back to "defailt_hz", if i play a video where there is no need to change the refreshrate, stoping playback works fine, but if i play a 24Hz movie, Mediaportal chrashes when playback stops and the refreshrate is supposed to return to default.

As a workaround i set "use_default_hz" to "no", and now it seems to work.

I also use RC4. This is new for that version.

I´m using 12noon and have an nvidia card.

akiaki

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2008
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I have the same setupa where my default hz is 50 and when I watch 24hz material I can stop and resume with no problem at all... I am having audio sync problems though on 24hz which I didn't have before...

p.s. I am using 12noon changer because it works best, fast and with no problems so if you are not using it, try it

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm not gibman, but I think I can answer your questions too.

Now, if I let the refreshrate of the videocard automatically change to 60hz, what will happen to the refreshrate of my tv? Is the change detected and the tv changes along with it to 60hz?

Your TV will change to 60Hz.

And what happens with 24p material? Your plugin changes the refreshrate neatly to 24hz, but now the tv....how will it handle this? in the standard 100hz? will it change to 96hz? or does it change to 24hz?
    I hope you can answer these questions as they've been bothering me for quite some time now...

When the TV gets a 24Hz signal it will change to 24Hz or 96Hz dependent on the settings of your TV. There's a setting called “Intelligent Frame Creation” which makes a 4:4 pulldown and adds interpolated frames in between resulting in 96Hz. It does look more like a video than a movie, but all motions are very smooth. If you don't like this video look disable the setting and you will have true 24Hz.

:D
    THank you very much for the info!
    Just one more question though. What about PAL material of 25 fps...My tv can handle 100hz so I prefer to watch 25fps material on 100hz. But in order to use these 100hz, my videocard should be set to 100hz with this 'plugin' right? But my videocard can't handle 100hz on 1080p...(it's not an option in the dropdown menu of the settings of the videocard, only 50 or 60 hz).

Now, what can I do to have my tv transmit on 100hz whilst receiving 50hz?
    And how does this normally work when I plug the cable of the DVB-C directly into my tv...With what kind of hz is 25fps PAL material shown?

One option I guess is to turn on IFC(intelligent frame creation) but this is not a very good picture processing option. I'd rather turn it off as it not always seems to create the interpolated frames right, like with soccer. And besides, this option is actually only ment for HD material.

akiaki

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2008
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    i see you have a panasonic set :)
    I also love IFC and have it on all the time..
    set the refresh rate to 50hz and tv does the rest - I think when IFC is on you get 100hz

lemonhead

Portal Member
    August 17, 2006
    Täby
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I played around a bit with codecs and settings, and the only change found so far is that with EVR activated it crashes with the same error on the first refresh change for me.

akiaki

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2008
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    which method are you using for changing refresh rate?
    In my case I have 12noon DC with reset device set to NO. Tested on xp sp3 and vista (now on vista but going back to xp coz it sucks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom