Automatic Refreshrate Changer (3 Viewers)

cmbe

Portal Pro
March 7, 2008
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi,

after some extensive tests, I have only one request (if I may so) to turn this great functionality in a perfect one:

- Could it be possible to distinguish between 23.976 and 24 fps material, allowing to associate different scripts with perfectly matching refresh rates (different timings in Powerstrip)?

I came across with some material codified in 24fps (instead the usual of 23.976) and if it is played in 23.976Hz, originates a small stutter every few "seconds". To get around this, I have two different Powerstrip timings in my 24Hz.cmd script and I have to manually comment the "wrong" Powerstrip timings before playing a movie in 24fps, to get perfectly smooth movie playing.

Could you please make this possible, Gibman?

Happy New Year to everyone.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi,

- Could it be possible to distinguish between 23.976 and 24 fps material, allowing to associate different scripts with perfectly matching refresh rates (different timings in Powerstrip)?

Indeed those two (24 and 23.976) should be handled astwo separate things as they are.

24fps == default movie
    23.976 == something that US series are having (some odd result from NTSC, almost 30 fps?).

Happy New Year to everyone.

Same to you!

cmbe

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Thanks tourettes,

but perhaps I didn't make myself clear, the real world situation is like this:

23.976fps == usual encoding speed on Blu-ray HDDVD
    24fps == Real cinematic speed, used by some Blu-ray and HDDVD
    25fps == PAL speed
    29.97fps == NTSC Speed
    30fps == Near NTSC speed, some material is encoded at this speed

If I understand correctly what we have right now is:

Cinema == 23.976 and 24fps == 24Hz
    PAL == 25fps == 50Hz
    NTSC == 29.97 and 30fps == 60Hz

What I am asking is if it is possible to have discrete scripts associated to each fps speed, as I show below?

Cinema 23.976 == 23.976fps == 23.976Hz
    Cinema 24 == 24fps == 24Hz
    PAL == 25fps == 50Hz
    NTSC 29.97 == 29.97fps == 59.94Hz
    NTSC 30 == 30fps == 60Hz

As my TV supports all the refresh rates (and more and more tends to do it) that would allows to avoid Reclock to adapt the speed, and allows perfect playing speed according the real world material.

:D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thanks tourettes,

but perhaps I didn't make myself clear, the real world situation is like this:

23.976fps == usual encoding speed on Blu-ray HDDVD
    24fps == Real cinematic speed, used by some Blu-ray and HDDVD
    25fps == PAL speed
    29.97fps == NTSC Speed
    30fps == Near NTSC speed, some material is encoded at this speed

If I understand correctly what we have right now is:

Cinema == 23.976 and 24fps == 24Hz
    PAL == 25fps == 50Hz
    NTSC == 29.97 and 30fps == 60Hz

What I am asking is if it is possible to have discrete scripts associated to each fps speed, as I show below?

Cinema 23.976 == 23.976fps == 23.976Hz
    Cinema 24 == 24fps == 24Hz
    PAL == 25fps == 50Hz
    NTSC 29.97 == 29.97fps == 59.94Hz
    NTSC 30 == 30fps == 60Hz

As my TV supports all the refresh rates (and more and more tends to do it) that would allows to avoid Reclock to adapt the speed, and allows perfect playing speed according the real world material.

Same as I tried to tell in my post :) Indeed those different cases should be allowed, somethingfor Gibman to work on :).

Althou I'm pretty sure that no TV hardware will support those really. You should have a real refresh rate that is a multiple of all of those, as in reality LCD display are only having one real refresh rate and all others are adapted from it (i.e. 120Hz provides real 30 and 24).

cmbe

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    :oops:

Thanks for your support tourettes.

The Pioneer Kuro line really should have support for all this speeds, I can confirm in EDID information and the displayed information that Kuro can give in "computer" mode :cool:, but of course could be that Kuro internal video processor handles the signals in a "smart" way.

Besides that, the real world experience tells me that if I don't have the exact match refresh rate I experience slight but noticeable stutter (ex: RR == 23.976Hz playing 24fps material).:mad:

Regards

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    I have a question about this:
    Does it change the resolution back after stopping a movie?

This is kinda important for me because I access my HTPC through remote administration but if the screen resolution is 1080p, it's really hard to read on my 720p laptop (which I use to do the remote administration). So, I don't mind using MediaPortal itself at 720p (I guess most skins aren't really prepared for 1080p anyways) but I would like the resolution to be changed to 1080p when playing a movie. But I need it to change back to 720p when the movie ends (or I press stop).

Is this possible?

Justchill

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2008
    Brugge
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I have a question about this:
    Does it change the resolution back after stopping a movie?

This is kinda important for me because I access my HTPC through remote administration but if the screen resolution is 1080p, it's really hard to read on my 720p laptop (which I use to do the remote administration). So, I don't mind using MediaPortal itself at 720p (I guess most skins aren't really prepared for 1080p anyways) but I would like the resolution to be changed to 1080p when playing a movie. But I need it to change back to 720p when the movie ends (or I press stop).

Is this possible?

Yes, read the documentation on page 1.

cmbe

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Hi,

Maybe you can do what you intend with this MP functionality (call scripts with a change of resolution instead, or together with, a change of refresh rate). But don't forget the trigger of this mechanism is the refresh rates, so you should defaults your RR to an "unusual" refresh rate. In the example below 60Hz.cmd (or any other RR you want to use) should have your configuration for 720p@60Hz and the 24Hz.cmd and 50Hz.cmd with the config for 1080p@ their correct RR. Of course you should be aware that you have to live with the limitation that on 60Hz material (or other of your choice) will be played at 720p.

<entry name="autochangerefreshrate">yes</entry>
    <entry name="notify_on_refreshrate">no</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_ext">C:\\24Hz.cmd</entry>
    <entry name="pal_ext">C:\\50Hz.cmd</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_ext">C:\\60Hz.cmd</entry>
    <entry name="tv_ext">C:\\50Hz.cmd</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_fps">23.976;24</entry>
    <entry name="pal_fps">25</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_fps">29.97;30</entry>
    <entry name="tv_fps">25</entry>
    <entry name="cinema_hz">24</entry>
    <entry name="pal_hz">50</entry>
    <entry name="ntsc_hz">60</entry>
    <entry name="tv_hz">50</entry>
    <entry name="default_hz">ntsc_hz</entry>
    <entry name="use_default_hz">yes</entry>

<entry name="devicereset">no</entry>
    <entry name="force_refresh_rate">yes</entry>

Bold: Values that forces the default settings to "ntsc_hz" (60Hz) when returning to MP GUI.

Or you could use Reclock (see it at slysoft) modifying the RunEvent.vbs included, together with Powerstrip or something similar (please see the alternatives provided by Gibman: CCC ) to do what you intend (you have to know VB Script). This method is highly recommended if your TV/Monitor (you don't tell their capabilities) only support specific Refresh Rates (such as 50hz or 60Hz) as Reclock will adapt the speed at each played material.

But maybe someone is seeing other possibilities.

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Blu-ray discs

MediaPortal doesn't yet even know how to play such :)

No, you're right. I personally play them in mediaportal using the powerdvd plugin, and If for example I played a PAL DVD (25 fps) then put in a blu-ray disc (24 fps) I manually have to change the refreshrateand that is what sucks..bb

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Actually, I just saw the Blue3 Wide skin at 1080p and the text was much better rendered so I think I want to keep MediaPortal running at 1080p all the time. However, I still need the desktop to be 720p when I exit MediaPortal but I guess that is not part of this program's intentions.

EDIT:
    I just created a VBS script file that I'm going to call instead of "MediaPortal.exe". The script is using 12Noon Display Changer and so it will change the resolution to 1080p before running MediaPortal and when MP is closed, it will restore the resolution back to 720p.

I should have no problems by running Automatic Refreshrate Changer now right?

But I just thought, why don't you include this functionality directly into "MediaPortal.exe" by pulling some extra configurations from "MediaPortal.xml" and change at startup and change it back to the default one at exit. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom