Automatic Refreshrate Changer (3 Viewers)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    SVN updated.

dynamic refreshrate changer; added support for internally changing the refresh rate using win32 api code (no need for powerstrip or any other 3rd party tool, making things alot easier for the average joe).

Just use empty sections like <entry name="pal_ext"></entry> + for the other XXX_ext sections as well.
    the mp.log should give u a clue if the internal method is used or not...

example.
    2009-01-16 20:24:59.250000 [Info.][MPMain]: RefreshRateChanger.SetRefreshRateBasedOnFPS: using internal win32 method for changing refreshrate. current is 60hz, desired is 59

Also added configuration section in configuration.exe , look in the general section. No need to edit XML by hand.

So if u want to try it out, grab the latest SVN when its public.

/gibman

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh this is fabulous progress :). Hooray for MP finally being stable enough to start adding more features :).

zeebee

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2007
    I need Powerstrip since Windows by itself is unable to achieve true 24hz on my system. If i switch with windows i get 24hz interlaced which looks really really crappy. Will it still be possible to use Powerstrip optional?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wow... Thanks Gibman.

Nice progress on this item. :) This means the starting post will probably need to be adjusted. Would you like me to alter it again accordingly, when the SVN is out?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    yeah, feel free to edit the main post.
    My time is better spent on code :)

zeebee: ofcourse u can still use the external commands. If something is specificed in the ext XML keys, then these will be executed instead of using the internal method.

My next goal would be to make the user able to add his own profiles.

Currently we have 4 hardcoded profiles, cinema, pal, ntsc and TV.
    If we made the user able to add his own, he could have a profile for 23.976, and one for 24 etc.

/gibman

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

@zeebee: ofcourse u can still use the external commands. If something is specificed in the ext XML keys, then these will be executed instead of using the internal method.

If we made the user able to add his own, he could have a profile for 23.976, and one for 24 etc.

/gibman

Ok, I will do it. Is there an ETA on when the SVN is going to be public?
    Also, I think the custom profile like you describe would be a good thing to have. :)

Edit:
    @ Gibman. Here is a suggestion / thought. If you make it extremely easy for users to use the refreshrate changer, it should be secure and safe.
    If you enable this option in the configuration.exe, I would like to test all the user programmed refreshrates rules from this menu. This to make sure it is supported by the TV/monitor + GFX card. Something with the 15 second timer to keep the choosen setting, otherwise it will revert to the original setting. Has there ben thought about such?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

@zeebee: ofcourse u can still use the external commands. If something is specificed in the ext XML keys, then these will be executed instead of using the internal method.

/gibman

Would it by any chance be possible to include the resolution to this profiles as well?

While the refresh changing is working great the nvidia drivers are quite limited:
    Using 720p I get fair deinterlacing (slightly worse than ATI's) - however at 1080p the NV8200 seems to weak to deinterlace even PAL input. Unfortunately the driver does only allow 24Hz in 1080p mode. Therefore I want:
    - Use 720p@50Hz as default for GUI and TV
    - Switch to the projector's native 1080p@24Hz or 1080p@60Hz playing HD movies
    - Use the inbuild API :)
    - Not buy an ATI card (yet) :p

cmbe

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal

/gibman

Yesssss! :D gibman, that would be perfect!!!!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Using 720p I get fair deinterlacing (slightly worse than ATI's) - however at 1080p the NV8200 seems to weak to deinterlace even PAL input. Unfortunately the driver does only allow 24Hz in 1080p mode. Therefore

So there still isn't any good integrated GPU for HTPC? ATI's 3200 has also severe issues when it comes to 1080 interlaced content. Based on that I would recomend every HTPC builder to buy either

Nvidia 8600 / 9500 or ATI 4xxx series card. Better to buy from both manufacturers at the same time and then check which drivers seem to have less issues at the moment. Currently at least Arcsoft blu-ray player has severe stuttering issue with ATI and 24p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom