Automatic Refreshrate Changer (4 Viewers)

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a weird dynamic refresh control problem that only happened after I installed 1.1.0RC1 (was working fine on BETA1). Anyway, when it changes to 1080p24 the overscan on my TV gets enormous. This didn't used to happen though... I added a custom CCC resolution for 1080p24 but it doesn't use that, it only uses the 'standard 1920x1080p24' resolution. Any way to force this custom resolution to be used instead of the default with ATI or MP? For 1080p60 the standard 1920x1080p60 works perfectly so I'm not sure why 1920x1080p24 looks so horrible.

You need to set the overscan settings on every every refreshrate. Put ATi CCC on 24Hz and then change the Overscan settings to fit your needs.

I didn't even think to try that. :eek: I'll try that out and hopefully it will work, thanks!

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
That worked, setting my overscan for both modes and everything is perfect now. Phew, was getting so frustrated. Thanks for the help!

Knives03

Portal Pro
March 6, 2009
I hope that this isn't an issue that is unrelated, has been mentioned before, or is just hardware specific (which I think it is).

This is not a bug of any sort, but I notice this whenever I use the refresh rate changer in Media Portal and play cinema content (24p). Whenever I start a video file, there is about a 5 second period where the video is playing but the screen is blank and no audio can be heard due to what I'm assuming is the refresh rate changing. Now I know this is probably related to the video card and the drivers and/or my TV, but I was wondering if anyone else experiences this, and if there is any way to possibly delay playback till the refresh rate changes, or if there is any special settings in the ATi Catalyst Control Panel that I have to change (aside from keeping my refresh rate always at 24hz).

I have always had this problem with any version of Media Portal, but I am running on the newly released 1.1.0 RC2 on Windows 7 64-bit. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD4670 with Catalyst driver version 10.3 and my television is a Sony KDL-46W4100. My other system specs can be seen is my profile if anyone things they might be related.

I highly doubt there is any way around this and I know it's not a big deal really, but I figured I'd ask because it always annoyed me to have to rewind to the beginning every time i start a video, especially TV shows.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if there is any more information that might be needed.

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
I hope that this isn't an issue that is unrelated, has been mentioned before, or is just hardware specific (which I think it is).

This is not a bug of any sort, but I notice this whenever I use the refresh rate changer in Media Portal and play cinema content (24p). Whenever I start a video file, there is about a 5 second period where the video is playing but the screen is blank and no audio can be heard due to what I'm assuming is the refresh rate changing. Now I know this is probably related to the video card and the drivers and/or my TV, but I was wondering if anyone else experiences this, and if there is any way to possibly delay playback till the refresh rate changes, or if there is any special settings in the ATi Catalyst Control Panel that I have to change (aside from keeping my refresh rate always at 24hz).

I have always had this problem with any version of Media Portal, but I am running on the newly released 1.1.0 RC2 on Windows 7 64-bit. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD4670 with Catalyst driver version 10.3 and my television is a Sony KDL-46W4100. My other system specs can be seen is my profile if anyone things they might be related.

I highly doubt there is any way around this and I know it's not a big deal really, but I figured I'd ask because it always annoyed me to have to rewind to the beginning every time i start a video, especially TV shows.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if there is any more information that might be needed.

This is almost certainly your TV - some TVs do it faster than others...mine takes a couple seconds though I haven't ever played anything where it matters if I miss the first few seconds - movies have the movie studio logo at the beginning, TV shows generally have a few seconds at least before anything starts, etc...

Knives03

Portal Pro
March 6, 2009
Yeah it's more of an OCD thing than anything. Sometimes I'll miss a few seconds of dialog in the beginning of a TV show, but it's usually nothing that big a deal.

I figured that it might be the TV, and it makes sense because it has the same sort of pause when switching inputs. I have two friends with the same TV and haven't heard them mention it, but they could very well not even be using the refresh rate changer. I guess the best thing for me to do is to have them both test it and see if it yields the same results.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the time.

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!

When I play the Bluray "Die Buddenbrooks" which has a FPS of 23.976 (the OSD of ffdshow confirms this), I get the following message in the log:

2010-05-09 22:43:10.022460 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: RefreshRateChanger.AdaptRefreshRate: unable to guess framerate on file I:\BDMV\STREAM\00004.m2ts..

Hence their is no switch to 24Hz. What is necessary for framerate guessing?

Playing a recorded TV file, it successfully detects 50Hz.

Kind regards,
    --Alex

webs0r

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi guys. Thanks for getting this functionality in.

I've done a quick read through but this thread is getting quite long!

I an issue - the refresh rate changing does work for me BUT MP is not reacting nicely to the rate change. I was wondering if anyone else has experience this problem, and if they have overcome it.

Issue: When starting a video that requires a change, it switches the rate but MP then dumps me back to the home screen and the video stops playing. After which, "My Movies" will refuse to "load its GUI". "My TV series" is fine though and will continue to work.

Config:
    Windows Home Server, ATI 4550, Catalyst 10.4
    Using Reclock and the experimental DShowhelper

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: Automatic Refreshrate Changer

My television supports 1080p25, so I have setup Mediaportal to switch to 25 Hz if it detects 25fps files. The only problem: If I want to playback interlaced MPEG2-files (within MyVideo and also recorded TV-shows) mediainfo reports those files as "25fps" and so it switches to 25 Hz but not to 50 Hz as it is needed in that case. Mediainfo reports the file as interlaced=true so it would be nice if Mediaportal would recognize this to switch to the correct 50 Hz.

LiveTV works fine and the refreshrate changer switches to 50 Hz.

webs0r

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Automatic Refreshrate Changer

My television supports 1080p25, so I have setup Mediaportal to switch to 25 Hz if it detects 25fps files. The only problem: If I want to playback interlaced MPEG2-files (within MyVideo and also recorded TV-shows) mediainfo reports those files as "25fps" and so it switches to 25 Hz but not to 50 Hz as it is needed in that case. Mediainfo reports the file as interlaced=true so it would be nice if Mediaportal would recognize this to switch to the correct 50 Hz.

LiveTV works fine and the refreshrate changer switches to 50 Hz.

Why don't you just tell it to switch to 50 Hz for 25 fps files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom