Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

akiaki

Portal Pro
September 15, 2008
Zagreb
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Bat-file:
"C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -refresh=60 -apply -quiet

Hope you can tell me more.

maybe the flags are outside the quotes and they should be inside?
but why are u using .bat anyway when you can have MP send the flags directly to DC?
Just follow Vimes setup..

fanoI

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
I've encountered some anime mkv files at varabile frame rate that is: 23.97 in slow scene and at 29.97 frames in the fast moving ones... and with this type of files "Automatic Refreshrate Changer" obviously fails... it change the refresh rate on the first frame basis... but maybe some frame after the frame rate change...

Really I don't understand what is the right frame rate for this files 24 or 60 HZ? I don't think the TV must change from 24 and 60... in the change my TV became Black for a little, too...

Maybe the right thing to do is to use 60 Hz? I fear my TV apply 3:2 pulldown if receives a 24 Hz signal and it is set to be 60 Hz... (and to complicate the thing a little more my TV has 120 Hz Motionflow too... only gods know that it does at this strange signal :p)

fanoI

Aurora13

Portal Pro
November 2, 2006
I've encountered some anime mkv files at varabile frame rate that is: 23.97 in slow scene and at 29.97 frames in the fast moving ones... and with this type of files "Automatic Refreshrate Changer" obviously fails... it change the refresh rate on the first frame basis... but maybe some frame after the frame rate change...

Really I don't understand what is the right frame rate for this files 24 or 60 HZ? I don't think the TV must change from 24 and 60... in the change my TV became Black for a little, too...

Maybe the right thing to do is to use 60 Hz? I fear my TV apply 3:2 pulldown if receives a 24 Hz signal and it is set to be 60 Hz... (and to complicate the thing a little more my TV has 120 Hz Motionflow too... only gods know that it does at this strange signal :p)

fanoI

Then you're a real lucky guy because:

Set and leave your TV on 120 Hz all the time and turn off all the motion compensation stuff of your TV:
- 24 * 5 = 120
- 30 * 4 = 120
- 60 * 2 = 120

So only when watching 25 or 50 frames material you have to change to for example to 100 Hz.
Enjoy! :)

fanoI

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Mmm... this is would be the ideal but I don't think I can, really, choose 120 Jz as a valid PC resolution... the nrmally exposed are 24-50 and 60 Hz... I've tried 48 and my display doesn't accept it... I've never tried 120 Hz... a Motionflow TV accepts it?

I could try it, effectively... if goes bad it doesn't accept it (I hope it doesn't explode doing this :p)...

OK... I've courageously tried it... the good news is that my tv is not exploded :D the bad is that simply goes black when I set a 120 Hz custom resolution at 120 Hz with Nvidia control panel... I've to press NO to reset the right res and the MP screen returns... so I'm not so lucky :(

The best I can is to manually set 60 Hz, force Reclock to use 29.97 Hz... and all my automatism is broken :eek:

fanoI

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
hmm.. 120hz TV is nice, but you need a graphics card to send 120hz signal to it with a resulution of 1080P. I dont think this is possible yet. (think)
Besides this, 120hz is not a standard signal, so it is very likely that your tv wont accept it. (obviousl it didnt)

The problem still remains. If you have indeed a mkv file with a variable fps, this causes a problem. The refreshrate of the computer needs to be matching the refreshrate of the media file. Matched or changed according to your desired rules. Now this is only done when pressing play. To play a variable fps file, the fps of the media needs to be checked continuously. AND the refreshrate of the monitor/TV needs to be changed continuously. Seems like a very difficult thing to do now and in the near future if you ask me. ..

fanoI

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
I think so too... maybe the solution is to change the frame rate during the play but if this thing was implementable... my TV
goes black for a little time when the refresh change is done... possibly losing the fast 29.97 frame rate sequence...

The real solution is a display that accepts 120 Hz as input... but for now it doesn't exists... the best they can is to interpolate at 120 Hz...

I've asked in the Reclock forum (it is thanks to Reclock that I've recognized that this files was vfr... it becomes yellow, but
a second before was green :confused:) the say that the only solution is to: set the Display Refresh rate at 60 Hz and to manually
override the built-in estimator to 29.97 Hz... it works but it is no more an automatic thing :mad:

Well I hope this vfr files don't become a lot diffused... I understand that is cool to have the best of all world (24 Hz and at same time 29.97 in fast motion scenes) but if there is no device in the world that can display it... what is the scope?

fanoI

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I've encountered some anime mkv files at varabile frame rate that is: 23.97 in slow scene and at 29.97 frames in the fast moving ones...

1 video file with multiple framerates varying? This is extreme difficult for me to believe. But who knows. How do you know it at all that framerate varies?

EDIT:
    you are right, .mkv supports variable framerate. But who endodes a film into such a problematic format?

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    It's not a film but an anime... it seems that a lot of them are "shot" at a mix of 23.976 and 29.976 fps... the only right way
    to compress them is to leave it in this way... and these mkv do this...

If they converted all to 23.976 in fast motion scenes (that are 29.976 in the original) they must delete some frame...
    if they converted in 29.976 they had to use 3:2 pulldown :eek:

This files are the best of both world... in theory... incidentally to play them smooth you need a 120 Hz display (that doesn't exist for now) or to dynamically change your framerate to 24 and 60 Hz while the file is playing (and it seems a lot fantascientic to me, too :D).

fanoI

Zarathrustra

Portal Member
    December 26, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Quite a lot of stuff is Variable Frame Rate, if it's been encoded properly (which is usually isn't). Most NTSC Sci-Fi DVD's have 23.976 film rate for the normal scenes, and 29.97fps progressive for the special effects/CGI stuff (Stargate, Babylon 5, etc), so should be encoded with VFR. The new episodes of Lost are (should) be the same, as it's the only way to combat the screwed up broadcast ABC are sending out for that show (timestretching, to fit in more ads, screwing up the telecine pattern), although it's still not ideal.

Best solution I've found for this, is to set ntsc_Hz (60hz) as the default refresh rate, and have it revert back to that every time playback stops.

i.e.
    <entry name="default_hz">ntsc_hz</entry>
    <entry name="use_default_hz">yes</entry>

That way, because the refresh rate changer doesn't know what to do with the variable frame rate, it does nothing, and leaves the refresh rate at 60hz - which is generally the best (realistic) fit you'll get for most vfr encodes.

I usually don't bother with setting a default_hz, I just leave it set at whatever the last thing played was. But, as 90% of my stuff is 23.976fps, the refresh rate is generally always at 24hz. Playing one of the latest VRF "Lost" encodes at 24hz is shocking, all it does is stutter (Refresh rate Changer can't tell what it is, so does nothing) Setting default_hz to 60 has solved the problem for me, and the new Lost encodes look fine.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    I don't think to have the last version but in my case... it changes refresh rate basing (I think) on the frame rate of the first frame... first to understand that these file was vfr I thought that they are badly encoded.... with a file MP choose 24, that another 60 Hz...

I've not a default value set, but I think it tries to change however...

Bad new that new Lost episodes are in this horrible format, too... at this point is best to use PAL based source... they are always 25P...

fanoI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom