Automatic Refreshrate Changer (1 Viewer)

mironicus

Portal Pro
March 9, 2008
AW: Re: AW: Automatic Refreshrate Changer

Why don't you just tell it to switch to 50 Hz for 25 fps files?

Because of the problems shown here:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...elper-community-development-81148/#post608526

Mediaportal does have sometimes problems with stutter during videoplayback - that does not happen if the refreshrate of the TV and fps rate of the video are the same. There is also no modified directshowhelper.dll needed.

25 Hz for 25 fps gives me always stutterfree video playback. This is also the case with 23,967 - 24 - 29,97 - 30 fps files. My TV supports this refresh rates, so I want to use it for perfect videoplayback.

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

Yesterday evening I enabled the fine refresh rate changer plugin on my system. In the past I had all sorts of problems with similar tools e.g. audio sync issues and the like.

The refresh rate app worked flawlessly. Using the display change notifier option I now realise that many of the avis I had previously considered to be of poor quality were in fact fine but I was not setting up my screen refresh correctly when watching them. Many were NTSC format and the HD files were expecting to output at 24Hz.

There is a thing to be aware of when setting up the app on ATI cards.

One must be sure to set the pixel format for each refresh rate. I had always set my HDMI output at 50Hz @1920x1080 as this works well for UK TV transmissions. I had never used the 24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz settings and so they defaulted to Component 4:4:4 colourspace rather the the RGB:4:4:4 fomat my TV was expecting. So when the app changed screen refresh the colours went mad - though the video was very smooth :). All that was needed was to explicitly select 1920x1080 at 24Hz and set pixel colourspace to the neded RGB4:4:4 hit apply on Radeon CCC. This was repeated for all the other needed refresh rates. After that it worked like a charm. No need to set up profiles, the app just sets the refresh rate and the colour space is as required.

This is with an ATI4550 10.4 drivers connected to a pioneer 8th gen via HDMI.

Might be worth putting the above paragraph in the help instructions as it had me confused for a while. CCC is a big app and it is easy to miss things.

Many thanks for a fine piece of code. Works like a charm. Best video ever on all file types.

Kev

Kev

hockstatter

Portal Member
September 1, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
i'm having a lot of trouble understanding what modes my television supports. i've looked through the forums and couldn't figure it out. does anyone have a samsung hlp-5063w? i've attached a screenshot of the manual saying what it supports but i can't make heads or tails of it. could someone let me know which settings to try out? i have my htpc connected with hdmi. thanks everyone, this is a really fantastic element of mp, i'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• 5063w-Rez.JPG
    5063w-Rez.JPG
    49.3 KB

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
having a quick glance at your table (but not being an expert in your particular set) then for DTV modes you appear to be stuck with 60Hz as a vertical refresh rate.

But in my experience of other sets - this does not mean you cant display other sync frequencies. If you set your refresh rate at say 50Hz and you get a stable picture then you set can cope with 50Hz also. Damage is usually only likely if you try a higher refresh rate than you sets claims to handle - and even then the set should protect itslef by putting up a warning and not attempting to sync.

Kev

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello!
    I enabled the automatic refresh rate changer yesterday but it did nothing. Is this because my configuration is like: Laptop -> HDMI -> AV-Receiver -> HDMI -> LCD?

The AV-Receiver can't really change the refresh rate can he? :) Are there any other methods?

PS: Didnt try to edit the mediaportal.xml with settings like
    c:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 24 .. maybe thats a problem too. =) I will test this next week!

HamDenFede

August 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Recently having changed from Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate i found that my refresh rate changer is not working anymore.

System:
    ASRock Ion 330, Nvidia ION (tried driver ver. 185, 190, 257)
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC2

According to the log and the screen notifier, the refresh rate is changing. However, a changed rate is not sent to my tv. This worked fine in Windows XP. Im able to set the wanted refresh rate manually in the Nvidia control panel. I'm aware that they changed the API for graphics cards in Windows 7, but according to the release notes, this should be fixed long ago. I cannot use the Nvidia command line on page 1 in this thread either, because of the changed API.

Any idea what is causing this behavior? Anyone else with the ION chipset experienced this? I'm almost willing to go back to XP just to get this working again, although i like Windows 7 alot.

Thanks in advance.
    Actual logs will follow =)

Equazor

Portal Member
    May 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I got the exact same error, also switched from XP to windows 7 64 bit.
    The refreshrate does not change.
    It stays on the Hz i have selected in the Nvidia control panel.

Windows 7 64bit.
    Mediaportal 1.1.0 RC3 and RC4.
    Nvidia 197.45 WHQL and 257.15 BETA drivers

alexirion

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    St. Georgen im Schwarzwald
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

On my system the internal method works. But, when I used multiple displays that clone the output it wasn't working.
    I then used the display rate changer from 12noon. You can setup the MP configuration to start any program for setting the display rate, so you can enter the 12noon display rate changer there.

--Alex

HamDenFede

August 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Last night i gave 12noon Display changer another go...with success :)
    Previously i had my change command "dc.exe -refresh=23" put into a .bat file, and put this in the refresh rate changer command line. Apparently this didnt work. But putting the change command "dccmd.exe -refresh=23 -quiet" directly in the command line of the refresh changer (i actually edited the xml file) works like a charm.

More than happy now :D

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I've seen in the dshowhelper testing thread that there is a patch to calculate the display refresh rate from the current used display (instead of the first or active one).

Do you think it will be possible to patch the automatic refreshrate changer to only change that current display, instead of the active one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom